Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mass syncro lust diminishing?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

I dare say many or most of the places we've gone in 50 months on the road are too tight for a Sprinter.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I dare say many or most of the places we've gone in 50 months on the road are too tight for a Sprinter.

Truth be told, most of my friends who own a Syncro(and I have many) are scared to death of getting any trail pinstripes on their van.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

I hear that, and why paint is last on our list. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Here is the AWD Sprinter's version of offroading. They are just going up some rutted dirt roads and making a big deal out of it.

Yeah that AWD version kills a 2WD Sprinter. Could a non-locker'd Syncro make it up that hill? Couldn't a 2WD Vanagon with a Peloquin make it up? Very few Syncro owners would attempt what that Sprinter driver did, even though the Syncro would do it so effortlessly, without stopping or any wheelspin.

I bet that Sprinter's ECU is putting on its own brakes, cutting the throttle, all kinds of monkey business that the driver has no control of. Stuff that would piss me off.

Syncro's way cooler, but a new Sprinter can drive to 4 corners of the USA, ending in Florida, then you say "what the heck lets go to Prudhoe bay." As long as you can find a Mercedes service center to take your $500 for an oil change. Which is arguably better than wondering if you'll need a $5000 transmission along the way.

It takes a special person to make any 30-year old vehicle work just in town. To take off on a long trip..... ????? Sprinter is much better for most people, and the AWD version certainly is dipping into Syncro culture. I think all the crap transaxle rebuilds out there have dealt a blow to Syncro values. Hopefully that can be turned around.

Changing engines, and modifications, and just the hobby of it is way different for a 30 year old machine. The restoration. You can't do that on a new machine.

With regard to the subject....Mass syncro lust diminishing? I've seen some pretty nice Syncros sit for sale for awhile, for more reasonable prices. I think GoWesty was setting the prices artificially high, based on their location (near Los Angeles). They provided an anchor point for high-retail Syncro pricing. Without their lead, prices are "adjusting" to a more realistic number.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

We have a swb 2wd sprinter at work. I love driving it. Comfortable seats and a 500 mile drive felt like 50.

I don't think I will sell my syncro even though I am a chronic buyer, builder, driver, then seller. It kills the wallet and is a short lived high which makes me always on the hunt for another build.

The sprinter has its appeal. You can finance it as an rv for a 5% loan for 10 to 20 year loan gives you a pretty affordable 600-1000 a month payment.

Before I bought the syncro It was between the syncro and the sprinter. But I am the kind of person if I have more space I will end up filling it with more crap.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

If ppl are worrie about cash with a Syncro, how can they afford a Sprinter ?
How much do you pay for a service in a MB garage for the Sprinter ?

How much would you pay for broken parts and service in 10 years driving a Sprinter ? How much money of value would the Sprinter loose in 10 years ?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
If ppl are worrie about cash with a Syncro, how can they afford a Sprinter ?
How much do you pay for a service in a MB garage for the Sprinter ?

How much would you pay for broken parts and service in 10 years driving a Sprinter ? How much money of value would the Sprinter loose in 10 years ?

I guess its all relative.
I think the value of "worry free" driving for at least the first few years has its draw. If people buy a $100,000 van a $5000 repair seems reasonable. When people buy a $15,000 -$20,000 van a $5000 repair seems enormous.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

One can still purchase a house in the USA for what a nicely modified Sprinter Camper retails for.

I believe that by and large, the Vanagon crowd is not flush with money, 2wd or Syncro.

The Sprinter removes one from being a common "Joe" to a different class. Not unlike the way AirStream trailers used to.

I've shopped for alternatives to the Vanagon, still do quite honestly. I passed on a mid 70's Dodge Chinook that was beautiful in Montana. I still regret not buying it. They are few and far between.

I've seen Sprinters parked at classic low clearance Roebling Suspension bridges across the Delaware River wondering where to go next.

An example of one I cross frequently......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riegelsville_Bridge

These old bridges vary in height from 8' to about 12' clearance, plus they are narrow, 15 - 16' wide.

anyway........ Big Campers limit where you can go.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

This is a good thread. I've got my Sprinter lust, but I'll keep my Syncro rust!

Thinking a license plate frame:
"Sprinter lust,
Syncro rust!"
😆

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

I had a t3 30 years ago
I had a t4 25 years ago
I had a Sprinter 15 years ago

But i will die with/in my t3 Wink
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

From what I've researched, the Sprinters are broken down to MB vs Dodge by the engine they have installed. Not sure, since I didn't come up with an easy search terms on the google, but I believe Dodge will service your MB as well, if they service Sprinters in general. Base price for a 2017 2wd is 37K us. I bought my 2003 Westy FWD Weekender for just slightly less, in 2003. If that is not an interesting bit of information, I am not real sure of what is... Seems as if there are some very good reasons to have a Westy, but VW sold off the Westfalia stuff a while ago. Even IF the T5/T6 (of whatever they call the next one) gets imported to the US, it won't be a Westy any more... Long Live the California! (I want 2)
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

When I worked at a private golf course, we would 'valet' members in MB Sprinters. They often tore up, but that's because we drove the hell out of them. They were pretty smooth.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
One can still purchase a house in the USA for what a nicely modified Sprinter Camper retails for.

Where?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

Thatta Boy, Scott, clean rigs get sad. Wink

Worry not my friends, Syncros and Westys will not lose demand. Things work in cycles.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Where?

I just purchased one for $65,000 out near Reading Pa. even located in a desireable area.

They're like Vanagons, shop around, have cash, be ready to buy today!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

Syncro prices near me are still climbing, they are coming up for sale less often as well.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I saw a lot more Sprinters on my last Moab trip too. The desert, the beach, and ski areas or National Forest Camps is where a Sprinter would be nice. But half the stuff I do in my Syncro you couldn't do in a Sprinter. I scrape branches as it is and there are a lot of trails that were cleared by Jeeps that we can fit under the overhanging branches. The clearance doesn't look that good either.

Here is the AWD Sprinter's version of offroading. They are just going up some rutted dirt roads and making a big deal out of it.

Link

The guy's a terrible driver. Around here he'd be stuck in no time!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I just purchased one for $65,000 out near Reading Pa. even located in a desirable area.

Howzit do on the back roads? Wink

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
I just purchased one for $65,000 out near Reading Pa. even located in a desirable area.

Howzit do on the back roads? Wink

It is on a back road! I think 10-15 cars a day drive by!! 😂

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mass syncro lust diminishing? Reply with quote

Perfect!

If they're "driving by you" though, perhaps your Temp II is amuck...

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: