Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Figure out what bug is under the kit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

I recently bought a Bugatti T35 kit, so far loving it but I want to switch to disk brakes and maybe get the thing to handle better. I was wondering how I find out what generation bug parts are at use under the kit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

Ball joint front, irs rear. Is there a vin on the pan? 1968 or later, I believe.

Last edited by nelson845 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

With the engine completely enclosed without and fresh air louvers or ventilation I'll guess the engine runs hot and will not last very long before it needs a rebuild.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

very cool looking but have to agree on the running hot with no vents in body.. you look on the wishbone right in the middle were the shifter coupling access is at.. for the vin number of doner bug
Michael Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys, I'll definitely look into getting some vents/louvers in the back. The cars hasn't been on the road in a long time as far as I can tell, as it has no title, tail lights etc. Bought it for a $1,000 as a fun car to drive while I wrench on my 28 Model A.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

Michael Gross wrote:
Thanks so much guys, I'll definitely look into getting some vents/louvers in the back. The cars hasn't been on the road in a long time as far as I can tell, as it has no title, tail lights etc. Bought it for a $1,000 as a fun car to drive while I wrench on my 28 Model A.

1k ? you scored.. just for the look factor
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

A score for sure ..'cute little hair dryer. I'd probably change out, and fender, the back wheels. Good for you.

Jim
Manx #2614
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

I'd have the front of that thing slammed before the weekend was out.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Michael Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

I plan on changing the tires, would love to slam it. Doing all the research I can, I know zero about VW.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

Based on that wide torsion bar cover, I'm guessing around '72. Most parts are interchangeable.. most ball joint stuff fits all ball joints (though the ball joints themselves can be different sizes). Good score for that money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burn-z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

definitely a good deal. You may want to consider some drop spindles with disks that way you get the disk brakes and you can drop it 2.5 inches at the same time. These guys have some in different bolt patterns. [/url]https://www-cartersaircooled-com.myshopify.com/collections/brake-kits[/url]
atomicmime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

I built a similar Bugatti kit on a '70 chassis, so it has same basic running gear, IRS, ball-joint front, etc. Your front end is obviously very light, by stance and fact that front shocks are at top end of travel. Most people with these kits place about 100 lbs. of weight at the nose, under hood, just behind radiator shell. That works, but better solution is to cut and turn torsion tubes to reduce front end tension and height, use very soft shocks (gas not needed). It will still retain a soft ride, with good handling.

Disc brakes in front is way over-kill. You want brake proportioning to the rear, not better front-end braking. Keep in mind, your seating position is actually behind where the rear seat is in a stock bug! Use a rear disc brake kit if you want, but not front. Get the front end down first, and you'll find it handles well, but still a little light in the front (it'll slide out under hard braking). Rear discs or proportioning valve would help that.

'72 Westy
'79 Super Beetle (now electric!)
'13 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

^ Killer looking kit there, atomic. I love these things but I don't think I'd fit..
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

What I like about both of these kits is who ever put them together didn't use VW lights, wheels or VW trim of any kind.
If I owned the blue one, I'd loose the fenders, and look at Coker tires Firestone Bias Ply/Pie Crust Tires for the front & Firestone Dirt Track / Grooved Rear tires.
https://www.cokertire.com/tires.html#p=6
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

Took a video of the exhaust today, abosutly love this thing. Needs some carburetor work, and a few other knick knacks.

Link
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

That exhaust sounds perfect for that style of car! Dancing

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

I was just about to say that sounds NASTY!!! Twisted Evil Love it.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

It CACKLES! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

I like the look and sound of that.. Very Happy

Thats a nice clean car, man you got a wheel of a deal..pun intended..love those wheels too. Very Happy

Do you guys have an idea who manufactured that exhaust. I know EMPI made some cannons like that but not sure about the quality.

I am thinking of getting those for my Buggy, some like it and some dont, but since this is a small island, I dont think I will be driving too far for it to become annoying.

I was racing as a young teen so either used to the noise of half deaf by now anyway Very Happy
Michael Gross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Figure out what bug is under the kit? Reply with quote

For those asking about exhaust I took some pictures.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: