Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help - Fuel Line Components Identification
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drewjamiesonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Need Help - Fuel Line Components Identification Reply with quote

I have a 1978 FI Microbus. I'm in the process of troubleshooting an engine stall after about 2 minutes of run time.

As part of that, I am going to change the fuel filter. When I went underneath to check out the fuel filter, I noticed what may be a fuel related line that is not connected to anything. It is visible in the picture sitting just above the filter. Who knows what that line is and where it should go?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see the origin of the unknown and unconnected line in the picture below. It seems to exit the fuel tank right next to the line that runs into the filter.

There is also another line that runs from the tank and I believe enters the engine bay. I'm assuming that is some sort of overflow line? Can anyone confirm that for me?

And finally, and unconnected, if you look at the following picture (which actually ended up upside down), I need to identify two things. First, is the hole that appears just slightly right of centre in the picture. What the hell is that?

And second, there is some sort of spring with potentially some sort of ground wire connected to it (and not grounded). Anyone know what that is?

As always, any help is appreciated.

Drew
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help - Fuel Line Components Identification Reply with quote

drewjamiesonjr wrote:
When I went underneath to check out the fuel filter, I noticed what may be a fuel related line that is not connected to anything. It is visible in the picture sitting just above the filter. Who knows what that line is and where it should go?

This is your original metal fuel line that ran from the tank to the filter. It most likely sprung a leak due to all that rust on it and someone ran a rubber fuel line in its place.

drewjamiesonjr wrote:
There is also another line that runs from the tank and I believe enters the engine bay. I'm assuming that is some sort of overflow line? Can anyone confirm that for me?

This is your fuel return line. It connects to the fuel pressure regulator on the other side of the tin in the engine compartment.

drewjamiesonjr wrote:
And second, there is some sort of spring with potentially some sort of ground wire connected to it (and not grounded). Anyone know what that is?

The spring and cable are for your engine cooling flaps. The cable connects to the thermostat mounted to the side of the block that opens up once the engine is warm allowing cool air to flow over the heads and oil cooler.

You should replace all of those fuel lines and clamps (including the rusty metal lines)

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help - Fuel Line Components Identification Reply with quote

You are missing at least one of the little flat retainers for the flap operating rod. i Suspect there are several other piece of the thermostat system that will be missing as well. People don't understand (or care about) the thermostat system, but if you are driving in cooler weather a working thermostat will make a big difference in gas mileage and in engine life.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help - Fuel Line Components Identification Reply with quote

thnx to mayor ratwell

Fuel Hoses
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

Fuel Injection Vacuum Hoses
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help - Fuel Line Components Identification Reply with quote

I personally hate the way VW ran fuel line over top of the starter, especially metal fuel line. When you replace the rubber fuel hoses, I would get rid of any and all of the metal line that VW used where possible. If the manifold that deliver fuel to the injectors are as rusty as the stuff in your pictures, you should find clean rust free replacements. A GASOLINE FIRE WILL RUIN YOUR DAY. Adding a spring loaded check valve to your fuel return line is a good idea as well, you don't want fuel backflowing through the return in case of a fire.

This is a picture of the check valve I installed on the return line of my 83 1/2 Vanagon, one installed on a Bay would be similar.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: