Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for this heater part
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

hi. 1969 bug. 2 questions. looking for the actual valve that controls the heat to the driver side rear seats. does anyone know where i might find one? i can fab as last resort but will be tedious and painful. also, why do these channels have holes in them and are wrapped in heat insulation? im actually considering eliminating the rear heat altogether and installing channels that will just send air straight into my new heater channels. dont know why i would ever need heat in the back but if i can get the valve i will keep things working as original as possible. any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

giddy up wrote:
... why do these channels have holes in them and are wrapped in heat insulation? ...

Muffling of noises / acoustic insulation.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

You may find just that part in the Samba Classified's. Try a wtb ad if none are being offered. You can also buy the whole y-tube from the same source and just use the flap.

I don't have my rear heat hooked up. I'm only concerned with heating the front of the car. In particular, the windshield.

You can just remove your y-tubes and install aluminum fresh air tubing, like the ones you see coming from your fan shroud. You'll get no heat to the rear, but plenty to the front foot wells and windshield.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

So my reasoning is because where I am at it's getting pretty cool now we were 15' in the morning and it never got above 20', but one of the things I enjoy about driving my Ghia or Bug for that matter at this time of year is the heat to the back, once the windshield is clear you can turn on the rear heat and it's better than heated seats... yes if you carry people back there it doesn't work so well, but when alone or with my better half it is excellent. She even likes it better than the seats in her new Chevy commuter.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

My experience has been that once the windshield is clear, if you open up those little flaps or doors for the rear outlets, the interior of the car warms up much faster and better. I think that it allows significantly better airflow through the system, plus most of it from the rear outlets gets blown up to the front area anyway (i.e. through the open area under the front seats).

I've seen those little flaps / doors in the Samba classifieds. Note that there are separate ones for the right and left tubes, and you'll want the little actuator wire that goes with them too, if available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
My experience has been that once the windshield is clear, if you open up those little flaps or doors for the rear outlets, the interior of the car warms up much faster and better. I think that it allows significantly better airflow through the system, plus most of it from the rear outlets gets blown up to the front area anyway (i.e. through the open area under the front seats).

I concur with this; the passenger compartment warms up super quick with both the front and rear heater vents open.

I wouldn't eliminate the rear heat outlets; you can close them if you want but if they're there at least you always have the option.
Gitchigumi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

http://www.thingparts.com/flap-butterfly-valve-heat-diffuser/

Check this out. Should fit. From VW Thing. Bought them myself for my 75 beetle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

https://www.airheadparts.com/Flap-Rear-Heater-Outlet-Left-USED/item/113-255-529%20C%20U
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
baldessariclan wrote:

I concur with this; the passenger compartment warms up super quick with both the front and rear heater vents open.

I wouldn't eliminate the rear heat outlets; you can close them if you want but if they're there at least you always have the option.

X3.

If BC mean British Colombia, you're gonna want to keep those rear heater channels. A lot of heat is lost by the time it gets all the way to the front of the car, so what might be sufficient to keep the windshield from fogging over, isn't going to do much to keep your arse from freezing over.
giddy up
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: looking for this heater part Reply with quote

thanks for all your feedback. found the part and i am going to get the heat working on the rear seats to keep my butt warm up here in B.C.!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: