Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you think about this Thing!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
AnthemAVM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

I am looking for an original Thing, can be restored. This popped up at a very high end shop down the street from my office.

It is clear the wheels, tires, seats are not correct, but the paint job is supposed to be very high end. The engine will need a good cleaning and restoration.

What do you think this is worth, and any other major concerns?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Volkswagen-Thing-/182...mp;vxp=mtr

Thanks for your input.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

If the owner is correct about the lack of rust, I think it's probably worth the current $8600 bid and maybe up to $10k.

If you want to restore to original, you will have to add to the overall cost - minus the dollars for what you get rid of and plus the dollars spent on more original parts and the resto process.

Notice that is has NOT reached the reserve yet... who knows what that will be.

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

Personally I am unwilling to bid on anything with a hidden reserve.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Please explain.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Please explain.

It is quite apt to be a waste of time for starters. After that it is just personal preference.
Kubel 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

Why is that engine compartment such a mess? Also, see if those coco mats are glued down. When I bought my Thing, the PO had glued carpeting to the rear parcel shelf. Took me a week to scrape the glue residue off.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

Kubel 74 wrote:
Why is that engine compartment such a mess? Also, see if those coco mats are glued down. When I bought my Thing, the PO had glued carpeting to the rear parcel shelf. Took me a week to scrape the glue residue off.

Looks like the engine was grabbed out of some other vehicle and stuffed in. I would guess that this rig may have had some kind of fancy "built" engine that the owner removed and sold off and then used this one to fill the void.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think about this Thing! Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Read the sticky on "What to look for when buying a Thing" and look at it then. I don't think the seats are too bad.
I agree with "Wildthings" on the engine...just doesn't go with the rest of the car. Could it be the original engine that has sat out for a while. The engine number will tell you if it is "one of ours."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: