Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedievaL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

First post by the way!!

I am going to look at a 1960 Ghia tomorrow. I have been told it is a rust free, never been wrecked, 2 owner car that was originally purchased in Germany by the first owner and shipped to the US. It has been repainted once by the original owner in his garage.

Is there any advise you guys can give me on things to look for? I had a '71 back in the 80s and am pretty familiar with them. Is there much difference between a 1960 and a 1971? I was looking for a later ghia when I found this one. Something like a '67 or '68 or newer. Should I be holding out for something a little newer?

Thanks in advance for your help and I am looking forward to spending a lot of time in here. If this one doesn't work out I will be acquiring one eventually regardless. I miss that '71 I had. I loved that car until the little old lady pulled out in front of me and totaled it.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

Since you only have tomorrow to prep - take a battery new LED flashlight for inspection. Check Vin plate #. Check inside the nose for accidents. Look for rust, have fun.
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

Rust is the Ghia enemy. Take a low strength magnet and run it over the rocker panels, headlight buckets and for that matter over the entire car. Make certain all the trim pieces are present and in good shape. The engine compartments and decklids rust like crazy so do the rockers. Anytime there is a repaint be cautious.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

If you haven't seen this in the stickies , then read through thoroughly :

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7108497

Emphasis on check for rust.

Then check once more for rust.

Take the car for a drive , then check for rust again.

Early cars are more desirable as collectors cars , 69 + are more superior in performance and handling , though early cars can be modified for that.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

Check for rust. That can't be emphasised enough.
Complete car is also a bonus.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

It doesn't look like it but there are quite a few differences from the '60 to 70 or 71. Parts for the body will be less available or a little more expensive. A 60 is still basically a lowlight with the new headlight and tailights.

I prefer the earlier cars and they have a little more value. If it's a nice car and your not going for a restoration then I would go for it. If it needs work make sure you have the ability and time and money. I'm sure your aware that the cars become a black hole or project once you start taking them apart.

Post pics and price and specs after you go look.

Good luck.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the 1960 model year Ghias have one of the highest number of one-year-only parts.
You may want to research which of those parts are the most difficult to find and/or the most expensive to replace prior to going to look at it.
That way, you'll have a better idea of what to specifically check for in regards to what's there and what's missing.

... that is, if originality is important to you.
If not, then similar parts for other years can likely be made to work for much less money.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

^^^True that one of the more difficult to "restore" correctly.
Pics! Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
MedievaL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

I'm back from looking at the 1960 Ghia. It seemed to be a pretty complete car but definitely not rust free. I couldn't get a magnet to stick to the area above the headlights or most of the rockers. The engine cover (hood) had large rust bubbles in the paint and the base of the C-pillars had some cracks in the paint. I am guessing there was probably some rust there. There was also some bubbles under the rear window. The engine compartment seemed pretty solid and the trunk wasn't bad. The nose looked good and didn't have any filler there. There was some pretty heavy surface rust down where the drain hole is but didn't look like it was rusted through. Pan looked good.

Mechanically it drove like a 1960 vw that hadn't been serviced in a long time but I didn't since any major issues. I would have gone through all the mechanical stuff anyway. It was ridiculously fast though. I was told the engine was a 2332cc and had come out of a Beetle/Baja (apparently a purple one). It had the largest dual carb setup I have ever seen. It ran well and was pretty drivable considering.

It would need a full restoration to make it right. I am ok with that but he wants $8000 for the car. That seems high to me but I don't know the market on these cars very well.

Here are some pictures. It's not as nice in reality as it looks in these pictures. It is a 20 footer at best. I didn't have time to take any detailed pictures. Notice the exhaust exits in front of the rear tires. I've never seen that before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

I would say its a 3-4k car
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
A 60 is still basically a lowlight with the new headlight and tailights.

And the new shape nose vents - so a 60 is basically a lowlight except for the three main things that distinguishes between a lowlight and a later car - lol
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I would say its a 3-4k car

$25k in Australia
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

That forward exhaust looks like the G-down setup..I have it on my car,I'm still not sold on it, It's loud,but makes tuning the carbs by ear easier with the mufflers up front,and if I'm running a bit rich I can smell it easily since it's right behind my head when driving

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
motorhead364 wrote:
A 60 is still basically a lowlight with the new headlight and tailights.

And the new shape nose vents - so a 60 is basically a lowlight except for the three main things that distinguishes between a lowlight and a later car - lol

Laughing
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

looks like a sleeper.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

Id say a large part of his asking price is that motor,If it's a true properly built 2332 with all the fixings I'd estimate that motor at 5k alone,It's got an ugly purple paint job,and I personally don't dig the iron cross purple pulleys,But looks like he's got some 48 IDAs on there with good linkage,the crankcase ventilation looks like its done through the valve covers and he's got an electric pump lurking somewhere in the car,I don't see a pressure regulator..
Looks like a tidy install from here
If it's running well,I bet that little Ghia flys

If a stock restoration is what you have in mind,perhaps ask him what his price would be without that motor?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

A motor of that size, built by an unknown builder is not worth $5K. Yes, it would cost that much or more to build it, but for sale, it would be lucky to bring $1k, maybe $1500
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
A motor of that size, built by an unknown builder is not worth $5K. Yes, it would cost that much or more to build it, but for sale, it would be lucky to bring $1k, maybe $1500

So-------it's a $3,000 car (which includes a $1,000 engine). It should just be crushed. Evil or Very Mad
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to look at a 1960 tomorrow. Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

So-------it's a $3,000 car (which includes a $1,000 engine). It should just be crushed. Evil or Very Mad

Laughing
I'd gladly pay that amount to haul it up to my neck of the woods and put into my own personal crusher Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: