Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally got her
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Finally got her Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well it finally happened. Almost got her about a year ago but things fell through. Fast forward I got her and for a better price. First stop my buddies shop, smith foreign. I'm already waist deep in another build so I'm hoping for a "quicker" fix.

Turns out the brakes are shot so there's some sticker shot. Other than that just a little wrenching.
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Previous owner had some great brake serves...
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Go over a big enough bump, and you aint stopping! Crying or Very sad
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Nice going with your perseverence and the final purchase! VW dealer Formula Vee accessory rims- hope you keep them! Very Happy

Is the engine unmodified?

My gosh- what ignorance from a PO, running the line through that chassis hole- one big bump with the car loaded and the trailing arm will slice through the line like a bagel slicer! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1703168.jpg
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Yes I was a little shocked too. Looks like that brake line is crimped 80-90%. It's got 97k miles on the engine and based on how stock and unmodified-less the brake likes, the car looks all original. Yes I want to keep the rims I think that will look pretty cool after I polish them.
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Got her back from Smith Foreign and so far so good. Been doing some local shake down drives. So far the gauges are a little sketchy, the fuel jumps and I think Ive been 10-15 miles and the odometer has barley moved. Rebuilding the carb might not be good enough. Think I may be needing to replace it. I topped off the tank with some premium and sea foam hoping that will help; heck, Im thinking of getting 5 gal. of 100LL AvGas.

My game plan is to get the interior cleaned up and pick up my kids from school. My son already saw it but it will be a cool surprise for the girls. I hope they are as excited as I am ha. Other than that I have a lot of punch list items like interior want nots and Ill be messing with down the road.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Original parts are superior to most aftermarket replacements. Rebuild or have Tim at volksbiz do it for you.
I don't think Av gas is a good idea, your motor should run on 87 w/o issue. I run mid grade with a 9.1 to 1 compression, dual carb, stroker motor.
I used to run 50/50 Av gas/ regular gas with marvol mystry oil mixed in. But that was 2275CC turbo'd screamer and only off road. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Had my helpers making sure the KG was in Koolsville. We made it to our first car hope get together, my son was pumped he just wanted to sit there so he could talk to people about the Ghia.

Looks like the odometer is working, I guess it was gummed up from sitting.

When I use the turn signals both left and right come on; any suggestions on fixing that?

Cars running good other than me poking a hole in the top when I opened it. I think that is on the short list to be replaced.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

brooksinc1976 wrote:

When I use the turn signals both left and right come on; any suggestions on fixing that?

Considering the dodgey brake work Shocked ................I would suspect some dodgey wiring is suspect . Likely at the relay or emergency switch. Here is a 72 wiring diagram , the later diagrams are really challenging to comprehend:

J2 is the flasher relay

E3 is the emergency switch

Look for something amiss, like multiple wires wrapped together in electrical tape ,later crimped connectors ,or its a fried relay possibly ? thats a cheap and easy part to replace.

Just make sure your Brake lights are working properly with that cargo !
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Those kids look like they really enjoy the Ghia!! Nice.
chrismredsox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Looks great and love that your kids are enjoying it. I'm pretty sure yours would have come with a back seat from the factory, although I'm more knowledgeable about coupes than convertibles. VW deleted the back seat for the '74 and possibly the '73 model year once US regulations requiring lap belts for rear occupants took effect. The Ghia was set to be discontinued so there was no reason to do the engineering etc. work required to redesign the car to accommodate seat belts. In light of this I wouldn't add seat belts to yours; just use the back seat for short trips off the freeway. There are a few pics of my '65 coupe in my gallery. Have fun with - it looks like you already are!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

It's that 1 month out of the year that temps are great in South East Texas! So we dropped the toop and did the fist small roddie. 160 miles later there were some smiles. My dad drove the fist leg to the Villains Car Show in Needville and my wife and I drove back. My wife's a nervous driver so we took back roads and it was well worth it. We found the Jay Cafe which has one killer chicken fried steak. We put about 160 mi on her.

What kind of mph are y'all getting based on the odometer I only averaged 19
mph¿

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

If you mean mpg I get 25-30 mpg. If you mean speed I can go 80 mph easy
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

Ha yes mpg. For the fuel ha. I was keeping it under 70 on the mph I wanna keep my lovely bride riding with me. Broke on the side of the road might be a deal breaker.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

I get 20+ with 2017cc, Dual 40 Dellorto carbs. I drive a little slower. Embarassed
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I get 20+ with 2017cc, Dual 40 Dellorto carbs. I drive a little slower. :oops:

With or without 3 adult or near-adult passengers? I get near 30mpg with one adult passenger on a 1644 engine and a speed limit of 100kph.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
I get 20+ with 2017cc, Dual 40 Dellorto carbs. I drive a little slower. Embarassed

With or without 3 adult or near-adult passengers? I get near 30mpg with one adult passenger on a 1644 engine and a speed limit of 100kph.

Are you just trying to confuse me? 100kph? let me get my calculator out. Wink

Good point on the extra passengers Kiwi!!
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

thats 60 MPH right? remember there are people that use the metric system then there are people that have went to the moon. Laughing
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

brooksinc1976 wrote:
thats 60 MPH right? remember there are people that use the metric system then there are people that have went to the moon. Laughing

I think I love this, brilliant !

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally got her Reply with quote

brooksinc1976 wrote:
thats 60 MPH right? remember there are people that use the metric system then there are people that have went to the moon. :lol:

Yes, that's quite true but it's the metric people who built our beloved VWs - and then put a mph speedo in my car. Yikes!

Here's a guide for Darrel: 5 miles = 8 kilometres (so, 100kph converts as follows: Step 1: 100 divided by 8 = 12.5 Step 2: multiply 12.5 by 5 = 62.5mph QED. And 1 inch = 2.54cm.

I know a boy who never went through the gate on the way to school. He first climbed a tree in the yard and then swung over from a branch to the other side. "Why make it easy?" he said when he caught up with his siblings, who were well down the road by then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: