Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front brake chirp/squeak!!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Before i start... keep in mind i have DISC BRAKES up front!!! Smile This problem is finally driving me mad. my front wheels/brakes begin making a chirping noise as i am driving. it is much worse on the passenger side, but is also a little apparent on driver side. it doesnt automotically chirp while rolling, but as i am driving, give it a few seconds when at a constant cheap and it goes "chirp chirp chirp chirp" constantly and quickly. The moment i press the brake pedal to even the slightest bit, the chirping stops for about 5-10 seconds and begins again, and the cycle continues. I have lifted the front wheels on my car, depressed the brake pedal fully and multiple times to check if the brakes are releasing and not sticking, and there is slight drag, but no worse than any other vehicle i dont think. tie rods are brand new, alot of new steering components, aligned correctly, yada yada. any idea? its driving me mad!
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
Before i start... keep in mind i have DISC BRAKES up front!!! Smile This problem is finally driving me mad. my front wheels/brakes begin making a chirping noise as i am driving. it is much worse on the passenger side, but is also a little apparent on driver side. it doesnt automotically chirp while rolling, but as i am driving, give it a few seconds when at a constant cheap and it goes "chirp chirp chirp chirp" constantly and quickly. The moment i press the brake pedal to even the slightest bit, the chirping stops for about 5-10 seconds and begins again, and the cycle continues. I have lifted the front wheels on my car, depressed the brake pedal fully and multiple times to check if the brakes are releasing and not sticking, and there is slight drag, but no worse than any other vehicle i dont think. tie rods are brand new, alot of new steering components, aligned correctly, yada yada. any idea? its driving me mad!

people are going to want more information as to what year and stuff your car is just an FYI.

did you do the brake swap yourself or did it come with the discs?

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this. I've never felt a disc system that didn't have a tiny drag off the ground, so I don't think that's the root cause of your issue.

Have you checked both discs for axial runout? I do not recall the tolerance for any particular car, (what car are your discs off of?) but my Jetta had a disc with .010" runout and it chirped like mad.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Sorry to hear this. I've never felt a disc system that didn't have a tiny drag off the ground, so I don't think that's the root cause of your issue.

Have you checked both discs for axial runout? I do not recall the tolerance for any particular car, (what car are your discs off of?) but my Jetta had a disc with .010" runout and it chirped like mad.

Robbie

I actually did check the runout on my discs at one point last year. I dont recall the measurements, but it was a very minimal measurement. I'm honestly unsure of what the disc setup is, because it was on the car when i got it. im assuming it some remanufactured empi type of kit..

and what more info is needed on the car? engine type and year shouldnt make any impact... its a 1970 beetle with a disc setup Laughing
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

I actually did check the runout on my discs at one point last year. I dont recall the measurements, but it was a very minimal measurement. I'm honestly unsure of what the disc setup is, because it was on the car when i got it. im assuming it some remanufactured empi type of kit..

and what more info is needed on the car? engine type and year shouldnt make any impact... its a 1970 beetle with a disc setup Laughing

This forum is quite broad. Supers and what not being talked about here.

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:

Some brake pad manufacturers suggest the application of thin coat of grease to the pads to quiet them, others (like the Wagner thermo-quiet pads) you are not supposed to use that stuff. Or some use shims and some don't. Admittedly I am not too up on the disc brake scene but is it possible your pads are using shims when they are not supposed to, or not using a bit of grease when they are?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
jacksonp32 wrote:

Some brake pad manufacturers suggest the application of thin coat of grease to the pads to quiet them, others (like the Wagner thermo-quiet pads) you are not supposed to use that stuff. Or some use shims and some don't. Admittedly I am not too up on the disc brake scene but is it possible your pads are using shims when they are not supposed to, or not using a bit of grease when they are?

thats actually a very good thought. I am in need of new brake pads soon anyways, so i will look into that manufacturers instructions. thanks for the idea
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Just to be clear, the grease goes on the back of the pads, not on the friction surface.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Just to be clear, the grease goes on the back of the pads, not on the friction surface.

Dont worry, im not that stupid lol! Laughing
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
Before i start... keep in mind i have DISC BRAKES up front!!! Smile This problem is finally driving me mad. my front wheels/brakes begin making a chirping noise as i am driving. it is much worse on the passenger side, but is also a little apparent on driver side. it doesnt automotically chirp while rolling, but as i am driving, give it a few seconds when at a constant cheap and it goes "chirp chirp chirp chirp" constantly and quickly. any idea? its driving me mad!

Some brake pads have little wear indicators which chirp - as the pad surface wears these come into contact with the rotor and chirp, to let the driver know that it's time to change the brake pads before wear causes rotor damage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
jacksonp32 wrote:
Before i start... keep in mind i have DISC BRAKES up front!!! Smile This problem is finally driving me mad. my front wheels/brakes begin making a chirping noise as i am driving. it is much worse on the passenger side, but is also a little apparent on driver side. it doesnt automotically chirp while rolling, but as i am driving, give it a few seconds when at a constant cheap and it goes "chirp chirp chirp chirp" constantly and quickly. any idea? its driving me mad!

Some brake pads have little wear indicators which chirp - as the pad surface wears these come into contact with the rotor and chirp, to let the driver know that it's time to change the brake pads before wear causes rotor damage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah I am aware of this. That isnt the problem since the brake pads arent too old. Did it on the old pads too
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Amazon sells a liquid supplement to apply to the backside of the pads to help reduce the vibrations you are hearing.

http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-power-steering-f...348169_0_0

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

Small $1.50 pouches of brake pad grease are available at the parts stores.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
broskinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake chirp/squeak!!! Reply with quote

I’ve experienced this before. This chirping can happen if the front wheel bearings are adjusted a bit loose.
Also, while the front wheels are off, confirm that the calipers are centered with the rotors. Some aftermarket kits need the calipers shimmed on the spindles for rotor/caliper clearance.

Peach State Vintage Vdubbers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: