Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material??
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

when I removed the old headliner, I found the original factory felt "batting" or whatever you call it underneath. It is very lightweight fiber/felt type material, fairly pliable and easy to reform to the shape you need. I removed it thinking I would just buy new of the same material but it is IMPOSSIBLE to find in this weight/ fabric. I checked with all the fabric stores in my area and none of them had anything close. Watching the custom vw bug videos on youtube they say to use carpet padding but the only carpet padding I can find is the foam type rubber-based stuff that is too thick and will almost certainly heat up the roof of the car to a concerning degree. I see a material similar to the original in wood flooring underlayment, but it ALL has a vapor barrier permanently attached that will prevent forming the material to the curves of the car and/ or cause bunching up.
The only thing I can find anywhere close to similar is the recycled denim furniture pad stuff that u-haul sells, but it is thinner and more "solid" than the original stuff- it can't be pulled apart and reformed. It is also heavier weight and may not adhere to the metal of the car as well. Lastly, I checked the pre-formed padding kits that jbugs and the like sell--but they have less than stellar reviews, lots of folks say they are disappointed with the quality.
Any suggestions/ advice on where to look for this original style material? Thanks

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

I have recycled denim padding glued to my floorboards/engine deck because moisture evaporates quickly from it. You could do the same thing on a roof. It's similar to but not as thick or nice as the OG batting that everybody rips off & throws away. Rolling Eyes If you're scared that it won't stick, then slap on some silver foil stuff or put up a WTB ad for a full OG set carefully removed with a putty knife. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

Used to have a picture, but this is what I used. Worked perfectly.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113867000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T43-4411
https://www.bughaus.com/Sisal_Pad_-_1900.htm
Most VW vendors should have something like this
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

Thanks for those links, I am not too far from bughaus next time I'm in Tulsa I might check that out. The problem as I mentioned earlier is, although they would probably work OK, all the padding kits/ material I see the online vendors selling are thicker/ denser, and you can't just pull the material apart, also as I mentioned reading some of the preformed padding kit reviews they are less than stellar. The original stuff that was up there was very easy to pull apart, stretch, and reform- it had a very low density. I am pretty sure it is a felt wool. You can patch an open area of the material simply by stretching some next to it and folding it over the open space, etc. That's what I am looking for since it is very easy to contour to the curves of the car.
In doing a bit more research I came across this stuff, F-15N grade felt wool, that has lower density like the original material and looks like it would pull apart pretty easily:

http://www.thefeltcompany.com/f-15n-wool-felt-3-8-thick-x-72-wide/

I might go this route if I can find a company selling it in foot lengths for cheaper.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

I have the same stuff, I bought it from a local hardwood flooring store for installation under laminate flooring. It was about the same price, maybe a little cheaper, by the yard. It came with a thin plastic vapor barrier glued to it, but it peeled off very easily.
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
loosecaboose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going a bit more high tech w/ my insulation. Something like LineX or Lizard skin to seal out moisture, dampen sound/ rattles, thermo insulate and much lighter weight then the fabrics out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: preparing to install a new headliner... insulation material?? Reply with quote

I have been using the headliner padding kit from Jbugs. A little pricey IMHO, but it works well. I got some generic carpet padding (the muticolored looking stuff at a carpet store) and it was a disaster. Tore it all back out You need a consistent material. Chris at Classic Bugs has a youtube and uses, I think, foam padding. Havent tried that yet. Bought a roll from CIP1 and it looks like the Jbugs stuff, just not precut. Have not used it yet.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: