Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheels and rotors
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

So I'm at a point with my chassis for the Meyers Manx 2+2, where I need to decide on wheels. I can't decide which rotors I need to go with...4 lug, 5 lug, wide 5? Also, where can I find wheels to match? I'm thinking 15x8 for the rear and 15x5 for the fronts. What's the norm? Any help? Thanks.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

What's the bolt pattern on the wheels you're looking at?

There are rotors available in most common bolt patterns.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

What year is the chassis? That can make a big difference in what is available for rotors. Pick some wheels and then find rotors to fit. 5X205, 4X100, 5X100 4X 4 3/4 are all common bolt patterns. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

The chassis is a 1968 and came with front disc rear drums in a 4 lug. I don't even know where to look for wheels, I found some 5 lug but they said 5x127 bolt pattern.

The Porsche, Chevy and wide 5 are really confusing me for some reason. I talked to a guy who builds Manx buggies and he says he uses the Chevy pattern? NO idea where to find VW wheels for a Chevy pattern. I just want to order the right brake kit. Another guy told me to stay away from 4 lug on a buggy.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

If you use a chevy pattern you can get wheels from almost anyone that sells wheels. Walk into almost any speed shop or hot rod shop and you can probably walk out with a catalog from more than a few different companies.

And most wheel companies have their catalog online so you could spend hours at your computer looking at wheels too.

Start here. www.americanracing.com find a wheel you like and go from there.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Here is what chevy style wheels look like on a buggy.

These are Weld Draglites at 15X8 rear and 15X5 front.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These wheels are probably one of the lightest wheels you can find.

I like the way they look.

There are many choices in a Chevy pattern.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Basic bolt pattern info:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=92

Not listed in that chart are the VW patterns: 4 x 130mm (the 4-lug pattern you have) and 5 x 205mm (the "wide five" VW pattern). Porsche 5 x 130mm I see is listed.

Several aftermarket sources sell VW drums/rotors with alternate/non-VW bolt patterns, so can be as simple as installing those rotors/drums and bolting on a matching bolt-pattern wheel.

Vintage Chevy is typically 5 x 4.75", Ford 5 x 4.5". That said, even Chevy and Ford have gone to metric sized bolt patterns for many of their vehicles.

Also consider the backspacing dimension on the wheels you want, make sure it is close to your original VW wheels.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

I prefer the VW 5X205. It is the most recognizable VW wheel and the coolest. There are far more wide five wheels to choose from than the later 4 lug VW. For a lightweight fiberglass buggy I would run stock drums up front and type III rear drums.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I prefer the VW 5X205. It is the most recognizable VW wheel and the coolest. There are far more wide five wheels to choose from than the later 4 lug VW. For a lightweight fiberglass buggy under 150 hp I would run stock drums up front and type III rear drums.

Fixed it for ya Dave...... Wink

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

burn-z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of these. http://www.us-mags.com/indy-u101-w-142.htm For wheels 8 inches or less they can drill any pattern at no extra charge. I went through town faire tire and got tires, wheels, lug bolts and a front end alignment for $1100.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

burn-z wrote:
I just ordered a set of these. http://www.us-mags.com/indy-u101-w-142.htm For wheels 8 inches or less they can drill any pattern at no extra charge. I went through town faire tire and got tires, wheels, lug bolts and a front end alignment for $1100.

Did you get the 4 lug VW pattern? Or wide 5?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

The down side to wide 5 for me is that there is on longer anyone in our area who can balance them.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

I'd get discs front and rear with Chevy pattern (5 x 4.75"), set up with press-in wheel studs. Then you can pick just about any wheel and any backspace or offset that you want. I went with drums on my last buggy and they were fine, but they need adjusting, they rust and they don't stop as well as discs. By the time you set your buggy up with new drum brakes, you could have bought a complete disc brake set up.

I agree that the old wide-5 (5x205) VW wheels have that classic look, but unless you are going with widened steelies and hub caps, I can't see going through the trouble to convert a 4-lug chassis to wide-5.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Discs rust badly too being more exposed to the elements. The secret is to use the car often whatever type of brakes you have. Nothing automotive improves with ageing. Just wine and cheese. Smile
burn-z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
burn-z wrote:

Did you get the 4 lug VW pattern? Or wide 5?

I ordered the 4 lug VW pattern but, since they are 15 inch rims I bet they could do a wide five too.
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Thanks all, this helped a lot.

Krasibuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Hi guys 1600cc fiberglass buggy would I have any problems in the future if I put 15x10 on the back negative -44 offset 275/50/15 . Is too much negative offset bad ?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Krasibuggy wrote:
Hi guys 1600cc fiberglass buggy would I have any problems in the future if I put 15x10 on the back negative -44 offset 275/50/15 . Is too much negative offset bad ?

Have you determined if the tires you're planning to use will clear your suspension? Have you checked how close your current tires are and how much farther inboard your new wheels/tires extend?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Krasibuggy wrote:

Only if it hits the swing arm plate and rubs.
It's going to depend whether you have short axle tubes or long axle tubes.
With a 67-68 swing axle you have more room for negative offset than with a 66 or earlier swingaxle.
I haven't seen an IRS up close for quite a while but I think they have the same spacing a later swingaxle has.
Measure from the drum edge to your swing arm and you can see how much room you will have. Leave enough for tire flex on bumps and cornering.

I have some 8 inch wide Weld Wheels in back with lots of negative offset and 275/60-15 tires and I have about an inch of room left with my 67 swingaxle.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

Krasibuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and rotors Reply with quote

Thanks guys , very helpful Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: