Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Normal split convertible VS a police car?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

Can people tell me what might be different from a split beetle convertible for people to use verses what a Police convertible would be like?? I am assuming Police cars would be like standards with no thrills, no side moldings, no chrome bumpers? was there a standard convertible?? or were these only for Police or something else? coded in any special way? Pic from the Samba!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: normal split convertible VS a police car?? Reply with quote

All Porsche power train! Laughing

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: normal split convertible VS a police car?? Reply with quote

i doubt they would have sent the police out in a standard. I bet they wanted them to have heat and hydraulic breaks, and adjustable seats.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: normal split convertible VS a police car?? Reply with quote

Discussed briefly regarding zwitter standard convertible in this tread... a few differences

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433702&highlight=vert
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: normal split convertible VS a police car?? Reply with quote

Dash most likely outfitted for police radios and equipment.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

standard police cabs existed, also for border patrol. There is even one known with special gearbox and front beam like a kubel... off road version that is in the uK now.
There is also the austro tatra conversion from Austria. This came with split dash, had larger doors and fixed rear windows. rear quarter pannel was shorter, door longer, wood construction with sheetmetal cover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

Appreciate the comments. This car has no trim holes, a real body stamped 15-XXXX car. So it is a real convertible body, but no vin tag? that is what kills it. No way to know if it was a standard convertible or a police car or what?? I look for more clues. It has a hole in the driver side front post for like the spotlight??

Were these really Porsche powered? I didn't think so. Although in the early 1950's it would have been the one piece case like the 25hpo engine?
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

No porsche engines in police cars... to expensive.
Tim, you can pm me if you want or email me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: normal split convertible VS a police car?? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
i doubt they would have sent the police out in a standard. I bet they wanted them to have heat and hydraulic breaks, and adjustable seats.

Breaks? Really?
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

The split police car I posted in the beginning looks like a standard model. No holes in the front fenders? no side trim. I wonder if the seats were all the same as a regular split? except maybe covered in vinyl or leather?? I am just guessing here. So the factory didn't make police cars then, they were converted somewhere else maybe??
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

Plus a 12 volt system I believe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: normal split convertible VS a police car?? Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
mandraks wrote:
i doubt they would have sent the police out in a standard. I bet they wanted them to have heat and hydraulic brakes, and adjustable seats.

Breaks? Really?

brakes, fine. fixed it for you, all the right letters in there, just out of order....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

So if you have a split convertible with a body number stamped behind the spare tire for an early convertible like 15-07XXX you can't find out any info on it if it does not have a vin plate?? Wolfsburg can't look up a body number??
were all convertible police cars stamped 15-XXXX or were they stamped another number?
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

All karmann's came with 15-xxxxx body nr in the early days.

Hebs had 14-xxxxx; type 18a had 18-xxxxx made by hebmuller. Austro tatra had an extra plate with a nr .
Greetings Peter
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

I own one , a official borderpolice car convertible from 1968 . It has a limited lock on first two gears , a reinforced frontaxle and rear suspension ,official factory skitplate up front like a ww2 kubelwagen. Also a standard body , no chrome on the outside , green bumpers and green upholstery
Even the sidewindows frames are painted matt green (ral6012) and have no chrome beneath this paint
There is a nato like electrical system to keep the radio signal clear. ( dont know how to explain in englisch sorry. The car has also the factory tow hooks , front and rear .beneath the enginecase is the protectionframe like a kubel
Blue hella light and searchlight
Iam aware this is 68model not a early one but i think the factory list are almost identical
Oh borderpolice or bundesgrenschutze had a four digit NATO number on the right inside the sparetire space
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

ferry wrote:
I own one , a official borderpolice car convertible from 1968 . It has a limited lock on first two gears , a reinforced frontaxle and rear suspension ,official factory skitplate up front like a ww2 kubelwagen. Also a standard body , no chrome on the outside , green bumpers and green upholstery
Even the sidewindows frames are painted matt green (ral6012) and have no chrome beneath this paint
There is a nato like electrical system to keep the radio signal clear. ( dont know how to explain in englisch sorry. The car has also the factory tow hooks , front and rear .beneath the enginecase is the protectionframe like a kubel
Blue hella light and searchlight
Iam aware this is 68model not a early one but i think the factory list are almost identical
Oh borderpolice or bundesgrenschutze had a four digit NATO number on the right inside the sparetire space

Could post up some pics of the front end and random bits please?
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

no problem , ill dive into that pic posting thing
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal split convertible VS a police car? Reply with quote

just posted some pics inside the gallery incl Mcodes on my car

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: