Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible top material questions- 1962
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

I have a 1962 Beetle convertible that needs a new top. I am having a difficult time finding information regarding what is correct material. Did VW use canvas or vinyl for the '62 model year? Were the color options either white or black only? Is there a link that I am missing to access convertible specific information?

I am also looking for a good source for a quality top kit, any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

Both my '60 and '62 convertibles came with Haartz pinpoint vinyl new from the factory- blue match on my gulf blue car, green on Sargasso green.

Compare how Chuck's Convertibles treats these cars vs. West Coast Classic Restoration. They are just two of vert authorities.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mrsoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

Thanks for the response-
So many were color matched to the exterior color of the car, interesting

What would be correct for my Ruby Red?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

mrsoup wrote:

I looked high & low for a supplier that could match the red vinyl cover on my Ruby Red '63 rag. The only place that had the right material was WCCR, so they stitched up a cover. The quality was uncharacteristically poor, so I went with black Stayfast canvas from Sewfine instead. Excellent quality piece, BTW.
If you're not going strictly stock, I think a black canvas top would look great on a Ruby 'vert.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

mrsoup wrote:
Thanks for the response-
So many were color matched to the exterior color of the car, interesting

One thing you could do is match in the interior- if it's grey, you know...

Check local shops too- the older the better. I'm looking for gray vinyl for my ragtop- and sure enough, VWsunroofs.com just ran out last year. But I know I WILL find some, and having my sunroof taped open for the last year is gettin' old. Cool

PS- I just checked vwsunroofs- and that's a negative. WCCR does have the gray for me- just as red for you before. I still want to give them a shot at the sunroof cover. Perhaps you could call and talk to them about red- and see if they are having better results lately?

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
WCCR does have the gray for me- just as red for you before. I still want to give them a shot at the sunroof cover.

Although they consistently seem to turn out a high-quality product, I was very disappointed in the sunroof cover WCCR made for me. After waiting a few weeks for delivery, I finally called to see what happened to my order and was told that it apparently was never processed. Great! The cover that eventually showed up was still inside-out like it just came off the machine and required some trimming to eliminate overlapping material. There were no holes for the studs in the rear hold-down and no slots along the sides for the three bows. Worst of all, the damn thing didn't even fit! The front header and rear hold-down plate would not fit in the pockets. The cover simply was not wide enough and I ended up ripping a seam while trying to coax the cover over the front header. I just threw it all in the trash and ordered a black Stayfast canvas cover from Sewfine. It was very nicely made and was a breeze to install...no trimming and no holes to cut. Sewfine does list both a light and medium grey vinyl for upholstery material...maybe they could make up a sunroof cover out of it for you.

Here's a couple of other places to try for the grey vinyl you're looking for. If you can supply the material, it might be easier to find a local shop to make up the cover.
https://www.smsautofabrics.com/
http://www.veteranco.com/productindex.html
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

I've seen first-hand their covers are super tight. A friend's '52 ragtop was so tight to open everyone KNEW something would tear or a handle would break! They ship them inside-out because that's how they are easiest to install on the headers. If you roll them onto the header the sewn seam automatically stays to one side of the header or the other (like a pillow case). Seat upholstery is shipped I/O from WCCR and installed the same way. Everything I've received from Lenny requires a lot of steam.

WCCR sell their kits primarily to upholstery shops but TMI and Sewfine are definitely a little more end-user friendly. I turn their kits inside-out as well- just to make install easier. Sadly, Sewfine also does not have or offer the right Haartz pinpoint vinyl for the anthracite roof. I may resort to canvas- but it goes against every fiber of my being. Cool

Thanks for the tip of veteranco! I've never seen those folks.

FU#5
Brunofld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I don't know if this is the right place to post this questions but let's try. I have a 1962 Sedan Lomousine , the original color was Pearl White , than my grandfather painted it with pacific blue and now I'm looking forward to paint it with a GULF BLUE L390. My doubt is in this colour. On the Technical section of TheSamba, the image for gulf blue is a really bright blue, really close to pacific blue but in fact the table shows a huge diffence between them.

This is the table for 1962 Sedan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the Image for Gulf blue , on technical section

This is the Image for Gulf blue in other places:

This last one is the closest I can find for the colour preview on the table , but it isn't not even close to the image that shows up in that table (first bug).

Can anyone help me understanding and identifying the correct colours for each image ? What is the true L390 ?

Many thanks
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

You really can't compare two photos of repainted gulf blue cars and choose the closest. You need to look at original cars- type 3s included and get a round of cars to compare. There are tons in the galleries.

Both my gulf blue cars are more similar to the second photo. I would characterize it as having a drop of yellow to bring a hint of green to the blue- making it slightly greener than a dove blue as seen on bugs and buses. Further, the top photo looks like it is clear coated- which will always skew the base color in most lights.

FU#5
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

Here's Joel's beautiful OG GB beetle from the l390 gallery:

FU#5
bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

Ruby vert would have either a black or grey top. Look on WW color charts for correct info. Mine was canvas from factory

'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
BryanNunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible top material questions- 1962 Reply with quote

bugmandave wrote:
Ruby vert would have either a black or grey top. Look on WW color charts for correct info. Mine was canvas from factory

That’s a beautiful looking car

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1723384
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: