Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

This weekend I'm going to start cutting up my bug. I have a general Idea on were and how to cut, but does anyone have any tips? Like things you wish you knew when you were building yours.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Hold up! Before you cut that car up, reconsider. That is a pretty decent car, and could live it's life being a nice vocho. I would trade for an already cut car. Or do one better than a Baja and do a "class 11" style bug. They look 300% better than the bajas and are just as capable. Shit I've taken mine to hell and back and it still looks like it never sees dirt.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Its not a Pristine bug. Its pretty banged up in the front as well in the back
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Your bug, but I would agree that it looks too nice to cut up. There are so many bajas running around that you shouldn’t have to cut another up. Make a good decision....
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Your bug, but I would agree that it looks too nice to cut up. There are so many bajas running around that you shouldn’t have to cut another up. Make a good decision....

Man, now I am having second thoughts about cutting it up. I would like and already built one but this one kind of fell into my hands.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

I think they're right. Think it over twice. I cut mine up because the front end was wrecked and would need an entire replacement. The frame head was okay, and I still get evil looks from my local shop. They say it would have been better to replace the front, because the pan was still fine. I get a pass though, because I was 17 when I made the decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

corradolvr wrote:
I think they're right. Think it over twice. I cut mine up because the front end was wrecked and would need an entire replacement. The frame head was okay, and I still get evil looks from my local shop. They say it would have been better to replace the front, because the pan was still fine. I get a pass though, because I was 17 when I made the decision.

Yeah, I think I'm going to wait and buy an already cut up one.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

corradolvr wrote:

You should see the evil looks I get in my 65 baja convertible!
bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Well your screen name is.... LOL!
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

I am a little disappointed in the responses. The off-road forum used to be the last stance on this site where the response would have been rip out the sawzall or torch and cut that baby up. I mean what’s the world coming too. I love the class 11 style and never wanted to cut mine up .... but I still love the Baja kits and want to see some more. .... and it’s looks like the front quarter panel is bent... hard to get that original again.. cut it up

So my tip is , if you are using a sawzall to do the cuts , try to make the the first cut the right one, it’s harder to get nice cuts if you are just cutting a little bit off.

This stuff should be fun and creative and chill. I have a bus I am working on and don’t even step into the bus forum because the purist will skewer you if you even think about leaving a piece of trim off or personalize your beast.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

I'm just saying that I went on Offerup yesterday and there was about five for under 1000, so... And they were already cut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mickey Thompson Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
I am a little disappointed in the responses. The off-road forum used to be the last stance on this site where the response would have been rip out the sawzall or torch and cut that baby up. I mean what’s the world coming too. I love the class 11 style and never wanted to cut mine up .... but I still love the Baja kits and want to see some more. .... and it’s looks like the front quarter panel is bent... hard to get that original again.. cut it up

So my tip is , if you are using a sawzall to do the cuts , try to make the the first cut the right one, it’s harder to get nice cuts if you are just cutting a little bit off.

This stuff should be fun and creative and chill. I have a bus I am working on and don’t even step into the bus forum because the purist will skewer you if you even think about leaving a piece of trim off or personalize your beast.

I'm with you, bust out the angle grinder and welder. Hell my 69 was already cut up for Baja, now its just doing little things like having a tube chassis built and a big motor, and making it a class 5 unlimited Twisted Evil
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Might want to check with your insurance co before cutting. Modified body panels are out at geico.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

well as for cutting, use a black magic marker and draw the lines you want to cut, if you dont like it use some carb or brake clean and remove the lines and start over. Once your sure the lines are where you want cut away!

For the record Im not a purist, every bug I have owned has been a baja!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Insurance for a Baja in Cali shouldn't be a problem. Mine has always been insured. So was my '65 Baja. It's still a Bug and unless you are going to pay enough money per year to BUY another Baja, they aren't gonna THINK about full coverage for a Baja or even a stock body Bug.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

Bad_Decisions wrote:
does anyone have any tips?

Dont
Mickey Thompson Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Insurance for a Baja in Cali shouldn't be a problem. Mine has always been insured. So was my '65 Baja. It's still a Bug and unless you are going to pay enough money per year to BUY another Baja, they aren't gonna THINK about full coverage for a Baja or even a stock body Bug.

Lol, mine has full coverage, and was only 36 bucks more ever 6 months.
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

I cut mine a bit short. Still bugs me.

Leave stuff long and cut twice until you get things measured and fitted to the parts you have.

Cut too much off. Didn't have the rear fenders when I did it.

I enjoyed the look of horror on my neighbors faces when I pulled out the saw. Twisted Evil

I have no regrets doing it. 30" tires do well in the sand. I even had 31s on it for awhile with stock suspension. I don't think you can get tires that wide on a lifted bug. Valves are a dream to adjust. Changing a clutch no longer required you to lift the bug off the engine.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

i cut mine and sometimes i regret it i can do a bit more in mine than a class 11 just because of departure angles.

im not a total purist but i can enjoy a nice class 11.

if you could trade for a baja i say do it otherwise no big deal if you cut it up its not early.

and you have to think of it as how beat is the car what would it take to make a nice baja vs a nice class 11.

also considering you have irs and ball joint

the ball joint youre stuck with stock travel so either way you have that. so at that point its all about the look.
a baja gets more looks on the street id say but when people see a nice looking class 11 in the desert it gets interesting.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Tips for Cutting up a Bug? Reply with quote

It would help to know where OP is. In Phoenix you can choose among bug eyes. many other places, what you got is what you get.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: