Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some opinions here. This bus seems to be fairly priced to me consider its a good running bus and everything is there.

I am looking for just a driver. I do not want to restore it. That means I would just leave the rust as is for now. Maybe in time start to tackle it but for the sake of conversation I wouldnt want to mess with any of this rust for a couple of years.

I know a few of these spots look rough. What do you think? Can this bus be driven as is for a while in this condition?

I havent heard from the owner or set anything up to see it yet. Just wanted to get a little feedback first.

Lots of detailed pics and the price are in the link below. The owner might even be on here, if so maybe he has some good feedback on this question. Ill be sure to ask him anyway when i can get in contact with him.

Last edited by nineteensixtyfiveVG on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

Looks as though u can drive it...and as time allows collect replace panels/sheet metal you can have the work done as you go, or just leave it alone...I'MO
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

None of that looks structural from what I can see, but stay out of the puddles Wink .

Better get some agreed value insurance though, if someone runs a light and T bones you most appraisers will consider that a write off as it sits now without a big dint in the side.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
None of that looks structural from what I can see, but stay out of the puddles Wink .

Better get some agreed value insurance though, if someone runs a light and T bones you most appraisers will consider that a write off as it sits now without a big dint in the side.

thanks for the feedback, yah I dont think it is too bad. I wouldnt mind getting the front floor done but really just want to leave it all as is for a while.

What do you think of the price? Does it seem fair?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

It looks fairly low rust for an unrestored bus.
Bottom line, yes you could definitely rock that bus and have fun camping w/o having to do a resto or spend on rust repair.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
It looks fairly low rust for an unrestored bus.
Bottom line, yes you could definitely rock that bus and have fun camping w/o having to do a resto or spend on rust repair.

I’m with this. As long as the doors shut/lock properly. I feel like the rust isn’t that bad in comparison to other “projects” people buy. People aren’t falling over each other to get at a Montgomery Ward camper... but it’s still a cool bus. The price (for me) is kind of gnarly. But that’s kind of par for the course on there. You’re paying a premium for a found, cleaned and properly presented vehicle. That’s top dollar (even with the dicker down) and you’d loose money for sure on a short flip if you lost interest. Even so, you know for sure what you’re getting. Kind of worth it.

It’s never a great deal on Old Bug, but it’s usually a fair one.

Last edited by Malokin Martin on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

Of that rust, the areas I'd fix first are the jacking points and the rust in the wheelwells behind the front wheels. You need to be able to jack it up properly and the holes behind the front wheels will trap further mud and debris and cause very hard to fix rust in the top hat/crossmember area and that is more structural. The front floorboards and rockers you could defer for a while. IMHO
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

That's a ridiculous price for a rusty bus. Rust is always 5x worse than it looks.

For that money, 20k, you can do much better with patience
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Of that rust, the areas I'd fix first are the jacking points and the rust in the wheelwells behind the front wheels. You need to be able to jack it up properly and the holes behind the front wheels will trap further mud and debris and cause very hard to fix rust in the top hat/crossmember area and that is more structural. The front floorboards and rockers you could defer for a while. IMHO

FWIW, I never expect to be able to use the jacking points to jack up a bus. That is why God invented floor jacks.

Asking if it needs rust repair is like asking what oil to buy, or what the best baseball team is. all kinds of opinions. Some people (like me) are enjoy a 'patina driver' or 'beater driver' that is not restored. Some people look down on that, and there are all kinds in the world.
If YOU feel you require a rust free shiny bus to be happy, that is what you should get. Look at pics of BlackStar campouts and there are a lot of buses that have rocker rust and non-shiny paint.

It is entirely possible to drive a bus with some rust in the rockers and jackpoints. IMO that is cosmetic. You can look at my 56 westy thread... bus had rust in those places and worse, and that did not interfere with enjoying it. Though I admit it is nicer to have no rust holes and new seals so it is not drafty, and I was not big on water coming through the front floor. It did cost a bunch of money and time to make the rust go away. But if you live in SO Cal it rarely rains anyway.

Was driving my April 61 the other day and the rusty rockers and jackpoints don't bother me. They haven't really gotten worse over 20 years. (it mostly is garaged) I love the way that bus drives, light and tight. I love the way it sounds. I love the corner windows. I love the Pioneer Supertuner. I love the SWR dash.
I don't love the old seals on the door tops.

It was stormy and the rain was dripping at the front door tops onto the front seat. It leaks on the left side, and it leaks on the right side. The safaris also leak. The safari towels were dripping into puddles on the floor. The whole thing was leaking like the Welsh. Ya, I should install new seals and quit my bitchen. (which was not about holes in rockers)
Again, not a problem in the LA area.

Whether you should buy the green bus? While I disagree it's rusty, I do agree that Montgomery Ward campers are not the most desirable.

Do some looking around to be an educated buyer and get an idea what a driver bus sells for. What do you get for $20K ?
Do you get a rust free, good driving bus in the most desirable models?

Here are buses FS on the samba from 10K to 25K, some are drivers:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

[quote="Clara"]
AS350driver wrote:

Whether you should buy the green bus? While I disagree it's rusty, I do agree that Montgomery Ward campers are not the most desirable.

Do some looking around to be an educated buyer and get an idea what a driver bus sells for. What do you get for $20K ?
Do you get a rust free, good driving bus in the most desirable models?

Here are buses FS on the samba from 10K to 25K, some are drivers:

Thanks, I really appreciate the detailed feedback. Thats the part Im struggling with. I really like the originally look and dont mind the rust as long as its not structural. I am trying to figure out if this bus is worth 20k. To me its got a very nice complete interior and seems to be ready to go. I really want a bus I can just go out and camp in and enjoy and that really seems to fit the bill. I just dont want to pay 50% more than it is worth. When I search through the classified for 20k I dont see anything much better. I see some dry buses but they all look like they need another 5-10k to be road and camping ready.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

It's a kombi, instead of a panel with hacked in windows. FWIW, It's worth more than any panel based camper in the same condition.
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

If you want to drive it as is, that's the best deal you're going to find in the Southland. If you dream of turning a profit on the bus, keep looking because it's already at the pricepoint of a rust-free non-camper.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

billstickly1 wrote:
I just dont want to pay 50% more than it is worth.

When I search through the classified for 20k I dont see anything much better.

To be frank- we're done here. I'm not trying to be a dick but do you really think you can find a bus here or on any brokerage site for 50% of it's value? If this is your goal- use this place for help and research, but you're a Craigslist shopper for the bus you want. I am not negative but realistic about your market. I bought my rusty but complete and very fun Westfalia camper for a 1/3 of that velvet bus' price but I shop locally. Did I get a good deal, maybe, but it was appropriate for my market and budget.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

I think that bus is worth 20k. Again as others have mentioned, you and i both are in los angeles. We dont have the luxury of bar finds. I had to ship my bus from South Carolina.

The market is hot, and i doubt its going to cool off. If you want a bus and have the funds now is the right time. You arent going to find a bus listed anywhere on the internet for a "steal" Sellers know the market and take advantage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
billstickly1 wrote:

To be frank- we're done here. I'm not trying to be a dick but do you really think you can find a bus here or on any brokerage site for 50% of it's value? If this is your goal- use this place for help and research, but you're a Craigslist shopper for the bus you want. I am not negative but realistic about your market. I bought my rusty but complete and very fun Westfalia camper for a 1/3 of that velvet bus' price but I shop locally. Did I get a good deal, maybe, but it was appropriate for my market and budget.

Just to clarify, he said 50% "more" than it's value, not 50% of it's value.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
billstickly1 wrote:

I think you misunderstood my post. I am happy to pay a fair price for both the buyer and the seller I just didnt want to get caught paying 50% more than what it was worth and I am just out of the loop on pricing.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

Pull the trigger already...are you mechanically inclined? Find a good VW shop if not...enjoy it.
It's a nice camper for the money...and a great guest house if need be.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Pull the trigger already...are you mechanically inclined? Find a good VW shop if not...enjoy it.
It's a nice camper for the money...and a great guest house if need be.
Cheers
Thomas

thanks. I am going to look at it tomorrow. I can do a little work myself. I have owned some buses before and dealt with lots of the issues that can come up.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

For 20k I think you can do better:

Here's a real Westy, fairly complete, for $19.5k:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2095394
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or if you don't want or need to have a real Westy, this is pretty nice:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2087736

I would buy this (probably for less than 16k) and spend a few grand on a nice RJ Camper interior for it (or make one if your handy).

I would consider either one of these campers a better bus and the real Westy a better investment. Also, having a Poptop to stand up in while in the bus is HUGE when camping. Not to mention the extra ventilation.

Last edited by srfndoc on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: I want to buy this bus, is it too rusty to leave as is? (Pics) Reply with quote

Drive the bus and see how it feels.
Does it drive well and feel solid?
Does it drive like utter crap?
How does the feel compare to the last ten buses you have driven? If you have not driven ten buses recently, do some shopping around and see how the competition feels.

Plan on spending plenty of money on the mechanicals of any bus you buy. Like thousands of dollars. It is truly rare to buy a VW at any level that does not need at least $1000 of mechanical work, and it is usually much more.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: