Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heaters, hoses and doo-dads
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRinCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

I've been reading the threads, old and new, and still in need of some targeted guidance. Thank you in advance for your indulgence.

1 - fresh air hoses -- mine continually get sliced where it transitions from engine compartment to the underside. I don't think the sheet metal is sharp -- just appears to be friction and heat that causes these flimsy fresh air hoses to get sliced and leak. Is something wrong in my set up? Hoping there is a longer term solution to what has become an annoying routine maintenance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2 - Heater to Body Hose. I noticed that this transition pipe (in photo) was dangling and not doing what it was supposed to be doing. As I was in the process of getting it back in place, it occurred to me that this is really a poor connection point from the heater exchange boxes. It's not a tight seal, and for some reason the previous owner had it wrapped in this heat shield fabric type thing.

The question I have is: What is the preferred approach for these heater-to-body hoses? Is there a make/manufacturer I should be looking at?
Should the seal be tight? Are there considerations for having these hoses wrapped in some type of heat shield? A general "this is what you should do" type response would be awesome Smile

3 - Perhaps a dumb question, but how do you know if the Heat Exchangers no longer work? Are there tell-tale signs? The reason I ask is while I'm monkeying around down there, I'd like to assess their status and replace if necessary.

Thanks much for you time and thoughts on this!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=028129087A West has new hoses etc.. The Heater to the body hoses would be probably something you would want to keep original if they are that solid. VW insulated them but it's not needed. I used Porsche 911 Fresh Air Aluminum Fresh Air engine hoses on my bus (Between Heater Boxes and Body) but makes it where I can hear the engine through the heaters though. Not bad.

The Black paper hose is a lot more forgiving than the Aluminum Fresh Air hose. Get the Seals that go around it. As far as connecting the coupler that you may have for a stock exhaust on the fresh air hoses. If you no longer have a stock exhaust then you can omit it and just use one piece of fresh air hose to complete the air flow to the heater boxes from the fan shroud.

Last edited by Danwvw on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

The fresh air hose plugs into this:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113255165
And that pugs into muffler
I thinks (someone will correct me) these are the correct baffles for heat exchanger to body
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Cheers!
Mike
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

Mine:

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

Here are the seals for the fresh air tube:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113119571

Here is the body to heater box tube:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113255355M

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

The complete heating system for a later bus has the gray vinyl wrapping. The flexible pipe you show connected to the heater baffles are included in the wrapping.

Note there is a strap (similar to the original ones on the one piece axle boots) on both ends of the flexible tube.

Here's another picture in my ad

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2011135
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heaters, hoses and doo-dads Reply with quote

Nancy tells it like it is! Those stiff but bendable metal hoses are covered and "insulated" by the vinyl style covers on the later Buses, abd on earlier Buses that covering is different, looks almost like fiberglass cloth. I believe that Nancy has a nice reproduction of some of those insulating wraps...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: