Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with Carburetor Identification
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonys1pr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Need some help identifying this Carburetor that I just purchased from Lane Russell. I was expecting to receive a Carburetor stamped with 105-1 on the flange, but received one with the following markings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So from what I can tell, this was an early 30 PICT 1 carburetor without the power jet. There is no number stamped on the flange. But what does the modification number mean?

Before I take issue with Lane Russell, I would value your input.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Based on this chart from glutamodo,
I would say that one does NOT have the power jet system:

It also says that 47-1 uses the early throttle return spring so maybe that carb. has a later top installed on earlier body.

I don't know if that changes anything.

I would PM glutamodo directly and ask for his input here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

the stamping on the bowl I do not think is stock, news to me, never seen that before. I guess that is a marking from the rebuilder, the numner may indicate the jetting, or a rebuild serial number of some sort. Id guess that the 1967 number is an indication of year model that the carb should go on.

Call Lane Russel and inquire about the stamping. I suspect Lane Russell will be able to tell you what that stamping means

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

That marking on the bowl IS STOCK. That's how they stamped the modification state numbers into early 1966 model year. Late 28PICT-1s were stamped like that as well.

You can place the top half of a later 30PICT-1 with the power fuel system onto the early bottom. You'd want to add the check ball in the carb body as well for it to function as intended for 1967/1500. This carb has had the throttle lever changed out and that would have required a different throttle shaft since the "flats" are at a different angle and it's not just a bolt-on change.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonys1pr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Thanks to all the responders so far for your insight. I'm going to reach out to Lane Russel for their response before I take the top of the carburetor to see what it has.

After reading through the multiple posts in the forum, I am still uncertain what in carburetor top is the power fuel system and whether you can tell by looking down the throttle opening.

This is a picture of what I have:

Is there some additional outlet for the fuel that should be visible?
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Give Eric a call at Lane Russell, he's a very nice and very knowledgeable guy and in my experience will be more than happy to help you.
tonys1pr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Quick update, I reached out to Lane Russell and had a response back from Eric within 30 minutes, hows that for customer service. I thought I would share his response:

Quote:
Hey. I'm Eric, one of the owners. We're closed, but I'm here catching up.

We do sometimes have to take the 47-1, 75-1, etc and convert it to a functioning 105-1 with the active fuel circuit.. Good cores are getting much harder to find, as I'm sure you know. Sometimes, it takes 3 carbs to make 1.

A note from our carb builder.

"We're able to do this by drilling out the needed galleries on the base to activate the circuit. Also, you must use stamped brackets that allow you to use the late style throttle return on the 28PICT-1 top, etc.

Solex actually fabricated pieces that bolt to the carburetor top and also to the throttle linkage to allow them to set up a late style throttle return on a carburetor such as the 28PICT-1 or 30PICT-1 VW47-1 which was originally designed to use early throttle return. As far as the power fuel circuit, the interesting thing is that I've seen all versions of the '66 carburetor base, i.e. VW47-1, 75-1, 83-1 without the circuit drilled and with the circuit drilled as delivered from the factory--of course all of these would have been missing the critical brass nozzle on the carburetor top which in fact allows the circuit to become active. However, it suggests that the factory probably began drilling out the galleries at some point so that the bases could be used on any version of the carburetor."

So in summary, any 47-1, 75-1, etc we ship should function as a 105-1 with the active fuel circuit. However, I understand the purist side as well. I'm a '67 owner.

Based on Eric's response, I'm going to install the Carburetor as the stamping is on the back of the bowl so not visible with it installed in the car.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

There should be a second tube near the top for the power circuit. Here’s a site with a good explanation and some pics. http://1967beetle.com/30-pict-1-carburetors/
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Hm, well that does look to be missing the power fuel jet. There were 1300 carbs (after the 47-1) that had the throttle return spring but no power fuel outlet.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mmmcphersonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

This might be somewhat off topic but close, I've recently purchased a nice restored 30-pict-1 with the correct flange stamp # and power fuel circuit for my 67 bug but after installation noticed some surging at low RPM's otherwise great operation. I pulled the carb checked and blew out the main and idle jets and on a hunch pulled the power fuel large brass tube from the carb body expecting to see a check ball there but found none? Thinking the builder forgot it I went and got a junk frozen throttle shaft 30-pict-1 body with the correct passage and pulled its tube and found no ball there either?? My "understanding" was that a check ball prevented gas flow until high RPM air flows lifted the check ball other wise it is just a open line from bowl to discharge point .Should my 30-pict-1 flange stamp 105 have a check ball there? Thanks in advance Milton
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Carburetor Identification Reply with quote

Only the 28 PICT carbs have the check ball. 30PICT-1 that are so equipped, have a slightly smaller jet WITHOUT a check ball.

The power fuel system will not cause low speed surging. It only comes into play at/near full throttle. And problems with it so that it doesn't flow, cause a reduction in top end power.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: