Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing master cylinder
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

Look for the rubber band trick. I've seen it mentioned.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

Tightly wrap a rubber band or twist-tie around the cable eye and clutch arm at the pedal. This keeps the cable eye from disengaging while you're positioning the pedal assembly. The rubber band or twist-tie will eventually fall away.

You can also have someone hold the transmission-end of the cable taut while positioning the pedal assembly.

I have a custom bearing/locknut at my clutch shaft, so it can't come off while I'm installing the pedal assembly. I like to cheat, you see.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

this????

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+rubberband...p;ie=UTF-8

have fun, enjoy!

music used to be fun, now it is all crap Crying or Very sad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
web macomber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

ok thanks, back to my original question about the little hoses that connect the tube from the reservoir to the MC. I have some 5/16 fuel injection hose. Would that be ok until I can find some brakes hose?

web
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

web macomber wrote:
ok thanks, back to my original question about the little hoses that connect the tube from the reservoir to the MC. I have some 5/16 fuel injection hose. Would that be ok until I can find some brakes hose?

web

If it fits and dont leak it will work in suppling brake fluid to the master. long term it may deteriorate, but for short term it probably wont harm anything the newer lined with fluoropolymer hose as found in 30R9 rated hose likely is safe to use long term I suppose, but I have not tested that.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
web macomber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I didn't know if I should start a new topic for this or not but it is related.
n
Trying to put the pedal assembly back in. I have done a fair amount of things to bugs but this has to be the most frustrating!! OMG, I had to walk away 4 times. Are there any tricks besides the "rubber band" thing?

Web
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

The easy way is to have a helper hold the opposite end of the cable and keep some tension on it while you put the pedals back in.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

Fast two minute mod that keeps the clutch cable on pedal arm during install, picture shows where to drill two holes in the arm, put the cable on the arm, string a short length of metal wire through the two holes then twist the ends together, pack the end with grease, I like Super Lube, install, cable will not come off nor the wire interfere with the operation. I use 1/32" drill for the wire is .020, had to use 1/16" drill when I broke a 1/32" drill bit.

Sorry do not have a arm laying around to demonstrate with, instead you get my 1st grade artist training

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

For some reason, installing the pedal assembly is one job I have more trouble with than any other. Take into account that my clutch shaft doesn't have a hook where the clutch-cable eye can slip off, but I still have trouble.

The main thing is to remove the seat so you can get all up in there. The other "trick" is to position the pedals properly (this is trial and error, but it seems the pedals want to be in a certain alignment before it all comes together). The other trick is to have a long enough, thick round Phillips screwdriver to help locate the threaded tunnel holes, once you have to pedal assembly flush against the tunnel.

That rubber band, wrapped nice and snug, holding the eye of the clutch cable is a must in my opinion, unless you have a helper holding pressure on the opposite end. But I'd still wrap the hook with a rubber band.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
web macomber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the advice thus far. I can see how it has/would work in general but I feel like I am losing my mind. As I mentioned, I have worked on VW's for years but this has to be the most frustrating task. For those of you that say well maybe it's you, I will agree! Confused Okay, is it possible to secure the clutch cable, align the pedals to set the spring properly and get the brake push rod in the hole?

I seem to be having more success getting the assembly ready to bolt in and then screwing in the push rod. Is that not right?

why do we do this,
web in wisconsin
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing master cylinder Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
The main thing is to remove the seat so you can get all up in there.

I don't remove the seat, I just move it back.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: