Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky drive flange cap...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Leaky drive flange cap... Reply with quote

Hello All,
As I prepared to install my CV assemblies today I noticed that I've got a leak coming from my drive flange cap on my newly re-built 4-spd trans with zero miles. I'm hoping I can partially drain the gear fluid and do the repair. Could I get lucky and tap the cap in further and hope it seals it up? Has anyone done this repair and offer some advice.
Thanks GreggK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky drive flange cap... Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to drain the tranny. Just remove the cap, you can typically drive a small screwdriver next to it and pries it out. Clean things up well and use Permatex or other oil resistant goo to seal the cap in place.

If you do get seepage while doing this job, just jack the one side of the rig up so the oil will pool to the other side.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky drive flange cap... Reply with quote

Wild things suggesting about adding sealant would likely make this point moot but wasn't there an issue with some of these new flanges being slightly undersized?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: