Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender welt and fender spacers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

I need some clarification of fender welt and fender spacers.

I know the orig parts are 181 parts and if you use the spacers then you must use the 181 welt which is like an arrow, does not have cut outs for the bolts, and can be pushed in after the fender is bolted down.

I have read if you do not have the spacers you can use type 1 welt and loosen the bolt and install it like a bug does.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of either? I am missing a lot of the spacers and since my car is being repaired for an accident I am wondering if it is worth for me paying out of pocket for the spacers and orig welt.

Thanks
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

I use Bug welt just fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

Did you use the spacers with the Bug welt or omit them?
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

What spacers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

Fender spacers (a 181 part)

http://www.thethingshop.com/FENDER-SPACER-CLIP/productinfo/181821167/
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

Not sure what exactly the purpose of the spacers were. Could have been a military requirement to reduce squeaking. or VW's requirement for the paint process (VW 181s were panted with fenders on)
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

I think that was exactly the process-the spacers were used and then bolts for the fender. Then the underneath was undercoated, and then paint was applied to the body with the fenders installed. Afterwards the fender welt was pushed in with the fender already installed.

Was the hoop, doors, decklid installed as well during the painting process?

I imagine the windshield frame was done off the car for sure.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender welt and fender spacers Reply with quote

I used the thing welt and spacers on the front oem metal fenders, thing welt and no spacers on the rear fiberglass fenders (they still have the groove like the fronts). Both tend to come loose at the bottom on mine, always pushing it back in. You could make a case for beetle welt, never done it but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I wouldn't use the spacers with bug welt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: