Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

I'm trying to remove the inside passenger side door handle from our 1961 standard. The big blue Bentley Workshop Manual says to "Press the escutcheon plate of inside door handle inwards, drive out the pin..."

In the thread below Aaron offers similar advice: "push the door panel and handle bezel against the the door, look in the space between the handle and the bezel, you'll see a pin." https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137688

I'm not even sure what the "escutcheon" plate is. The handle itself doesn't seem to have a set screw. Between the handle and the door panel is a really hard white thing that seems pretty stationary. My guess is that this white thing is supposed to be pliable enough to push aside, to get to a set screw, but these are rock hard. What am I missing? Here's what my passenger door handle looks like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here's what the driver's door looks like, where the handle is gone, but the hard white thing remains:

Any suggestions welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

The "hard white thing" is the escution plate, push it towards the door compressing the spring under the door panel to expose a small gap between the ring and the handle so the pin in the handle is visible.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

I posted in the latter part of this thread about having issues accessing the pin. Though I have not remedied the situation, and the bus in question is a little older, one of the photos shows the pin that you need to drive out in order to remove the handle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366458&highlight=handle
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

On my driver's side, I eventually broke the escutcheon plate trying to push it and the panel and the spring. Now I at least have a nice clear view of the remaining problem:

Despite the unobstructed view, I can't get the pin (if that's what it is in there) to budge. I'm trying to tap it up from the bottom. I've soaked it in penetrant and have tried a couple of different-sized punches. It doesn't budge.

What's next? Some heat?

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

A few heat/cool cycles may help. Also, as far as I know, that pin can be driven in either direction. Try tapping it from the opposite side to see what happens.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
What's next? Some heat?

Scott

Do you have a helper than can back-buck the shaft between the door and your pin with a 1/4" plate steel piece while you tap on the pin? A heavy file like a horse-hoof file or bastard will work too using the head.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

This helps a lot^^^
Also, if you don't have a drift the right size for that little roll pin, a finishing nail head can be the right size. Hold the nail with a pair of needle nose pliers while tapping and it can be an effective tool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

I used to use a broken crochet hook
flendershirebu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

Hey guys I’m having the same problem but I’m not even seeing the pin and there’s no spring just this piece of foam there’s that screw in the middle but it’s still stuck on there when I take it out I wanted to double check with someone before I started prying on the plastic any help/advice would be appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

That kind you take off the Phillips screw. I you unscrew the screw a couple threads proud of flush then hit the head of the screw with a piece of wood while holding outward against the beauty ring it should pop free.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

Yes the last pic shows a screw in the middle of the handle. Unscrew it to remove the handle. This kind was used from dec 1963, on buses that had the push button outer front door handles

On the earlier kind with the pin. I find it works better to tap the pin up to remove it.

I am pretty sure there is another thread on this with pics.
flendershirebu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the info I really appreciate it . It makes sense that the handles should come off with just that screw but boy was it stuck I only managed to get the driver side off I’m gonna have to keep working the passenger side. I sprayed some penetrating oil in it to let it sit hopefully that does it

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

I had to use a puller on one of mine. Though the handle was going to break but it popped off with enough force.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes they get stuck on. After it is off, I generally use a wire brush to clean up any rust on the splines, and make sure the handle slides on/off easily. I use a dab of grease on the splines before fixing the handle back on, as an anti-rust.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

If you think getting the handle OFF is challenging wait until you're ready to re-install it!

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

I have an early 64 van with handles that have no screw showing, I have busted the esct plate and can see behind the knob but cannot see a pin ?
what now? also this is a plastic handle ,thx for any help
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

There’s a 3mm pin tucked in there. If it’s particularly grungy you may want to run a small fire brush or Emory cloth over the base of the handle so you can see it.

Some pics that will hopefully clarify.

redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

maybe I need glasses !!! Shocked cant see it will look again tonite
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Removing an Inside Door Handle Reply with quote

finally got my handles off, there was mud or something packed in the holes so I couldn't see it, dug them out and boom they came off, thx guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: