Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Humor me .
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Humor me . Reply with quote

This 73 T-3 is really driving me nuts. I like the car , I've owned it a long time and if I had the money I would buy something newer.

Here's the deal.

The car ran fine in 2006 . In 2009 I felt it was long over due for vacuum lines and fuel lines, injector seals . you know the basics Spark plus old Bosch W8AC . OH and I put back on the heat exchangers took off the J pipes yet with them I did secure the lower tins to the J damn pipes.

Once I was finished I ended up with not only a hunting issue but mainly this Idle that when in park and once the RPM is stable maybe 10 minutes . If I try to just bring up the idle sitting there it's fine at 1000 RPM yet a tiny bit unstable and an erratic miss at the exhaust . If I try to slowly bring up the idle it fights / drags / difficult to just raise it 100 RPM and the tach is up and down above and below say + or - 100 RPM . Once it reaches 2000 RPM is clears up then responds to an even gas peddle movement.

AS I said a few times the only thing that instantly ends this is unplugging the IAD temp sensor. If I do this the RPM shoots way up and if I bring in back to 1000 everything acts as it should. To add when it's cold and I pull the IAD temp sensor it runs worse.

Back then the only new parts were hoses and plugs , , injector seals and I went through the entire FI wiring.

In 2015 I was given the proper pressure sensor and it did help some.

Now if I place it in drive and no matter what speed it has no miss at all. I basically stay in 2nd gear so 2500 RPM max. I was on the freeway before the PS and didn't feel any issues. Even at idle last I checked put it in drive and placed my hand at the tail pipe and the erratic miss is almost none existent.

Since I replaced the plug wires , cap and rotor no change. Went over the valves twice , no change , tightened all the FI terminals , thought I felt a change.

If the new parts made no change and I used the same injectors. The only new part I have not checked for fault are the spark plugs.

I just can't see how a spark plug would cause this.

I can live with it yet feel since I've only driven at most 2500 miles since I did that work that at some point I'll regret it. If I'm starting off from a stop it goes and I feel nothing to be concerned about.

I don't have points , have pertronix way before this.

Does it seem fuel related to you? Back then I checked both temp sensors and they were where they should be. I was careful with the injectors.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

It may not solve your problem, but I would change the plugs. Its cheap insurance, and I can't tell you how much time I have wasted in the past over what I assumed to be good plugs.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

We went through this a while back.

Some questions ai already know the answers to....but will state them for understanding.

1. Why did you replace all the vacuum lines and seals?.....because...tbey were old and cracked and probably some were leaking...right?
So if they had been in that condition for a while.....and you know that ANY vacuum peak no matter how minor.... causes a richer running condition....and the MPS was at some point adjusted to compensate for that richer condition.....it will now run poorly when you fix all the leaks.

2. What does the IAD do?......it richens and leans the fuel mixture slightly according to intake air temp. It can make ab across the board difference of between 5 and 10%. If you are already borderline rich or lean....meaning running well but just a few percentage points dich or lean short of causing an issue.....this sensor can kick it over the edge.

3. With all of this work.....djd your fuel pressure change...even by 1 psi?.....if it did.....every 1 psi difference from the factory fuel pressure setting of 28 psi.....is 3.57%....across the board...all rpm and temp ranges.

So you can see how 5-10% or so from the IAD and say 2 psi difference causing a 7% difference can be a whopping 12% to 17% difference in fuel mixture.

Also.....far too many people who see D-jet "hunting" at idle......make the assumption that bunting means LEAN.....when it will just as easily mean rich. A slightly rich nixture at idle with two wet ports in D-jet.....means a rich spike that can cause an rpm rise depending on air mix....causing a vacuum change....which causes a lean spike.
With the MPS controlling the load....either rich or lean will cause the exact hunting pattern just inverse if graphed.

Most probably you either sealed vacuum leaks you were living with and did not compensate for the loss of air in the mixture....or you have vacuum leaks that are small and intermittent.

Places to check are the runner boots, the seal on the back of the plenum, intake manifold to heads.

And.....have you adjusted the MPS?......this type of hunting is common to the MPS needing to be tweaked to match engine vacuum condition. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
It may not solve your problem, but I would change the plugs. Its cheap insurance, and I can't tell you how much time I have wasted in the past over what I assumed to be good plugs.

That's what I was thinking. It's the only part I replaced during this change. I know you have carbed VW's yet wouldn't it be the same principal where on a dual carb if two cylinders draw F/A so #1 & #4 .
One plug just does not like that situation and the plug that fires likes it fine gets too much fuel to air.. ON FI it's different enough. I don't know enough about dual carbs to compare them.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
We went through this a while back.

Some questions ai already know the answers to....but will state them for understanding.

1. Why did you replace all the vacuum lines and seals?.....because...tbey were old and cracked and probably some were leaking...right?
So if they had been in that condition for a while.....and you know that ANY vacuum peak no matter how minor.... causes a richer running condition....and the MPS was at some point adjusted to compensate for that richer condition.....it will now run poorly when you fix all the leaks.

They were old not that I felt it had vacuum leaks.

Just to add a bit of timeline. When I rebuilt the engine in 97 other than oil changes and oil bath cleaning and valve adjustment . I had the entire drive train out to rebuild the auto trans in 2003. and it still ran well . Yet I never changed the plugs until 2009. The plugs didn't look bad and had quite a few miles on them well beyond the 12,000 mile range. I put a pretronix in it just before or after the rebuild. . The runner hoses and intake gaskets been in it since 97. I later realized the MPS was the same type yet wrong number and was in it with the stock engine yet despite this it ran fine. Changed the VR and gen and injectors in 2002 still ran great.

So 1997 I have old intake gaskets and runner hose. Yet in 2009 it ran just fine until I changed the items I listed in 2009 . I also added as a last resort clamps on the runner hoses didn't change a thing. I didn't take not on what the engine vacuum reading was , I wasn't doing major work. Same fuel in the tank oh and I changed the fuel filter and oil change. Everything after in 2015 that I changed made no difference. I don't think I changed the vacuum lines to the auto trans modulator they fit tight at the ends I did change the rest of them. What I didn't change I didn't touch or move.
I keep thinking it's one thing I changed that screwed it up and have absolutely no idea what it might be. I pulled the injectors off first s I could cut off the crimped on hoses , while they were out I changed the plugs because that gave me easy access and I had all the parts other than engine oil and fuel line , filter and the heat exchanger hoses to the ducts I had those capped off at the body holes. Also un capped the fan outlets and added the aluminum hose . The rest were all from 97 as spares when I rebuilt the engine. I never played with adjusting the MPS, I have no way of telling what the mixture would be. I now runs just like it did after the work in 2009 a bit better with the NOS MPS of the proper number that's about all . The hunting I had in 2009 went away for some reason shortly after all the work in 2009. It became this no load intermittent miss. Seems to run rich because of MPG yet here in stop and go which I only do since it's hard to tell.

Perhaps the three years of none freeway driving from 2006 to 09 has something to do with it. I do recall trying the old E system MPS on it in 2015 after I replaced the O'ring I could get that miss to go away I could delay it or speed it up yet pulling the IAD sensor still changed it.

I can't say if I had one spark plug that could be faulty in some odd way yet do feel it could affect it if it didn't fire all the time then one cylinder would get to much fuel . The other day while screwing around to see what temp the oil pressure had I ran it to about 170 F and noticed that at one point in between the 1000 to 2000 RPM range I could get a steady miss it was a small window of 100 RPMs . That was the first time I checked close to hot if that tells you anything. You would never notice it driving all I see driving then stop is a change in RPM it can be 1000 RPM down to 950 then 1100 yet stays for the most part at 950.

2. What does the IAD do?......it richens and leans the fuel mixture slightly according to intake air temp. It can make ab across the board difference of between 5 and 10%. If you are already borderline rich or lean....meaning running well but just a few percentage points dich or lean short of causing an issue.....this sensor can kick it over the edge.

3. With all of this work.....djd your fuel pressure change...even by 1 psi?.....if it did.....every 1 psi difference from the factory fuel pressure setting of 28 psi.....is 3.57%....across the board...all rpm and temp ranges.

So you can see how 5-10% or so from the IAD and say 2 psi difference causing a 7% difference can be a whopping 12% to 17% difference in fuel mixture.

Also.....far too many people who see D-jet "hunting" at idle......make the assumption that bunting means LEAN.....when it will just as easily mean rich. A slightly rich nixture at idle with two wet ports in D-jet.....means a rich spike that can cause an rpm rise depending on air mix....causing a vacuum change....which causes a lean spike.
With the MPS controlling the load....either rich or lean will cause the exact hunting pattern just inverse if graphed.

Most probably you either sealed vacuum leaks you were living with and did not compensate for the loss of air in the mixture....or you have vacuum leaks that are small and intermittent.

Places to check are the runner boots, the seal on the back of the plenum, intake manifold to heads.

And.....have you adjusted the MPS?......this type of hunting is common to the MPS needing to be tweaked to match engine vacuum condition. Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
This 73 T-3 is really driving me nuts. I like the car , I've owned it a long time and if I had the money I would buy something newer.

Dag,
I feel for you.
When you can get a '94 Honda or something like that for $500,
You must really be bucks down!

Are you one of those guys who got skint by medical expenses?

One of my favorite old-school VW all star racers had that happen.
A loophole in an insurance policy, and *poof* goes the life savings!

What’s That Noise?!?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
A slightly rich nixture at idle with two wet ports in D-jet.....means a rich spike that can cause an rpm rise depending on air mix....causing a vacuum change....which causes a lean spike.

Perhaps a minor point, but assuming his is still a stock 73 system, he'll have four "wet" ports, not two:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Mmmmm...technically.......at idle........compared to other types of cars with different injection......yes....all four ports CAN be a little damp.....but as you will note under the heading of "fuel injection timing".....cylinders 2 and 4 the intake valves are closed when the injectors fire.

Driving these engines in lots of stop and go traffic at low rpm or....lots of idling......with technically perfect injection really only happening on one out of four cylinders.....and by this I mean.....injection with the intake valve open with intake air moving through the port to accept the entire charge of fuel so little of it settles on hot port walls.....which forms a layer of varnish over time........

This effect CAN varnish all four ports lightly. But......on cylinders 1 and 3.....the gasoline keeps the spray contact path right in front of the injectors .....very clean and almost bright. The fuel as it is swept through the open intake port.....washes the varnish out of its path.
But.....on. cylinders 2 and 4.....you get a complete baked layer of varnish because the fuel contacts the port wall constantly.

Fuel that wets to the port surface....requires about 3-5 times the airflow over the surface to pull it off of that surface because the heat from the surface in that millisecond of contact has flash evaporated out the finer constituents. The fuel has more surface area against the head than it has on its outer surface.

On high mileage cars you can see this effect....to clean ports and two dirty ports....when you pull off the runners.

Its actually mostly noticable on engines that spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic or idle a lot and is especially nasty in engines that have been poorly tuned and running rich.

The closed intake valve issue really not a running problem....as once you get up over about 1500 to 1800 rpm.....the time interval between spray and the next open valve cycle for 2 and 4 is just too short for fuel to land on and wet to the port walls.

But.....at idle....with this wet port wall issue on 2 cylinders and a very alightly,wet port wall on one of the other two cylinders because only one cylinder has a full valve open cycle during injection and one a partial valve open cycle......what you get is a build up of fuel film on the port walls.

Key here is this:.....at idle.....because some fuel lands on the port walls and sticks and is not available in the upcoming intake cycle.....that cylinder for that cycle is slightly lean.
When combusted.....this affects the output. That affects the overall vacuum signature very slightly in the next cycle.

Over several revolutions you get that fuel scavenging off the port walls and getting sucked into the intake charge.....making that cylinder alternately slightly richer.....again very slightly affecting vacuum signature on the next cycle.

What this alternate rich lean does.....in its affect on vacuum signature.....is affect the MPS....which causes the entire system to oscillate up and down in a rich lean fashion from second to second.

When this happens.....the cycle of one or two cylinders being either excessively rich or lean....causes a change in combustion that can be "felt"....as a stray pulse at the exhaust and/or an oscillation in engine steadiness at idle.....and commonly when on the rich side.....a slow hunting cycle over anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds.

Because of the two wet port cycle.....the natural running state of D-jet at idle....from the factory.....was just slightly lean if read by a tailpipe probe. This was done to prevent that excess richness that would cause excessive build up and idle oscillation.

By one important respect, factory tuning was quite sharp. It was a compromise that produced a smooth stable idle. But.....it could also have the habit by being slightly lean at idle.....to cause slightly lean mixture through some areas of part throttle.....especially in very hot climates and very cold climates.....when baseline fuel mixture adjustment from the TS 1 and TS 2.....are maxed out in one direction of the other.

A better than factory state of injection.....is just very slightly richer at the MPS to insure excellent part throttle fueling....but keeping the at idle baseline mixture under better control with TS-1 and 2 by slight ballasting. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

I was of the understanding that the 72 and 73's ran better with the fuel pressure closer to 30 PSI, versus 28 PSI. I know my 71 ran better at 29 PSI. Thoughts?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Mmmmm...technically.......at idle........compared to other types of cars with different injection......yes....all four ports CAN be a little damp.....but as you will note under the heading of "fuel injection timing".....cylinders 2 and 4 the intake valves are closed when the injectors fire.. Ray

On The 72-73 Type 3 systems with modified injection timing, "...fuel is injected behind the closed intake valves for all four cylinders."
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

I never noticed the subtle point made in the Elfrink manual posted is that he claims VW used a "modified trigger contact unit," which I take to mean trigger points. Other than adding a grease shield, I thought they were identical all years. I think he misspoke and meant the circuit in the ECU that relates to the trigger points changed the timing.

Last edited by KTPhil on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
A slightly rich nixture at idle with two wet ports in D-jet.....means a rich spike that can cause an rpm rise depending on air mix....causing a vacuum change....which causes a lean spike.

Perhaps a minor point, but assuming his is still a stock 73 system, he'll have four "wet" ports, not two:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I understand what was said about the 72 and 73 seems to refer to trigger points. I don't see how that's possible since all are 2 contacts on one cam so they open 180 degrees apart . I was posting this right when I saw KTPhil comment. It would have to be a change in the ECU. I do recall Jim Adney stating when I asked that there are different E system ECU's and the very late ones had a different Bosch # . I haven't pulled mine out since 2009. I also have one from the 72 parts car stash that has no sticker and I tried it last in 2009 made no difference in the no load idle I have. That car did have the E system yet no EGR.

I don't know how on earth anyone could test this out with out tearing an ECU open . All I've even seen are few ECU basic diagrams that are block diagrams and early D-jet systems showing the inputs from the trigger points and a timed circuit.

This is where the Bentley really throws one off , it's just basic and touches on the changes in early , mid and late years.

What I do recall back in 97 which was the year Calif no longer required 74 and earlier cars to pass smog . My 73 when it still had the original X engine and didn't yet develop this loud internal rattle noise and it was just a tail pipe sniffer at that time reading idle and higher RPM readings and my car failed the idle by a hair. I was still working as a tech and during slow times I would bring it in the shop and one tune up fellow would wander over to help. He suggested we try a fuel injector flush which was a chemical that you ran the engine off of at idle speed and not the fuel. WE rigged up the ford screw on fitting to the fuel pump test port . not long after that the noise developed and I drove it with the noise for three months . Once I pulled the head off the original engine to use the super cool tin I noticed all 4 heads had the exact same clean spot right in the intake ports of the heads.

Whether that tells anyone anything who knows. Point is the engine ran fine and the rebuilt engine was checked on the dyno and passed by a hair. Also we were not running this ethanol in 97.

Last edited by blues90 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
blues90 wrote:

Dag,
I feel for you.
When you can get a '94 Honda or something like that for $500,
You must really be bucks down!

Are you one of those guys who got skint by medical expenses?

One of my favorite old-school VW all star racers had that happen.
A loophole in an insurance policy, and *poof* goes the life savings!

I was one of the ones that worked for Ford dealerships and saw in 2001 how Ford decided to offer all their reps a deal . Take the money we offer you and find another career or stay and get paid less and work more hours and over see a much larger area. I was not a rep yet the affect was felt down the chain . In 2004 the dealership I worked for 12 years decided to bring in new management . I was the first to go followed by 15 others the next day. Then I got another job at a ford dealership I worked for in 83 as a service adviser . Ford came in and handed out the insane tale of Henry Ford then goes on to say people can find just as good of car from any company now so we are going to focus on marketing. 5 months later that dealer was gone. I was now at the age that no matter where I went and no matter if Chevy or Lexus no on wanted anyone closing in on 60. I sold everything I could and as time went by prices rose then I ended up on SS. That's the short of it and I will be 69 a bit more than a week into Nov.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I was of the understanding that the 72 and 73's ran better with the fuel pressure closer to 30 PSI, versus 28 PSI. I know my 71 ran better at 29 PSI. Thoughts?

The Bentley states later models 30 PSI. I even had mine at 32. didn't help. years ago I always set it @ 28 and it ran fine yet we didn't have the same fuel back then. I can tell you the new 2 port pump did add some pep for what ever reason. Same 30 PSI.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Mmmmm...technically.......at idle........compared to other types of cars with different injection......yes....all four ports CAN be a little damp.....but as you will note under the heading of "fuel injection timing".....cylinders 2 and 4 the intake valves are closed when the injectors fire.. Ray

On The 72-73 Type 3 systems with modified injection timing, "...fuel is injected behind the closed intake valves for all four cylinders."

I was about to say.....no its not...and that it would take a DRASTICALLY differbt camshaft or trigger set......and I realized I had not followed to the top of the next page.

Ah......I cant believe I never noticed that mod. (Been working on type 4 too much) .....and.....that change....should actually prevent the oscillation issue I noted in that last post.

But there is something too simplistic about just changing a trigger set. I would wager that it also corresponds to specific distributor for the years.
The differences between distributors from year to year in D-jet....are slight but significant. A slight variation in ignition timing TDC...causes a properly timed engines distributor to be rotated slightly which also changes the trigger point cam to a new location in relation to valve opening point.

Also....when you measure the ramp start location of the trigger cam in relation to the #1 mark on the body....there are slight differences.

Knowing about this mod now.....I too... also think the ECU would actually have to do most of the injection delay. I will have to peruse Brad Anders site and see if he lists a possible internal difference on the ECU of type 3.

Also....long ago when I had the D-jet training course.....which if course was not,VW specific....but did delve into VW and Porsche ad they were the most numerous make with D-jet.....there was no mention of this mod....but that's not really surprising. The kind of tuning we do now is beyond what Bosch noted you could or should do at that time.
Thank you for the information!

Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

I may be way off . It seems to me with no load where I have this issue the MPS is what see's the load if I recall. Along with that the dist advance is based on RPM and load .

Since I didn't touch the fuel pressure in 2009 which the ECU does not see. It was @ 29 PSI.

I know back 20 years ago the fuel was different so I have to leave that out.

I did get a timing light in 2009 and just checked it and it was where it is supposed to be.

Now since the spark plugs were in their boxes since 97 and those are the ones I used in 2009 . All that time I could have dropped one can't say.

Is it even remotely possible that one has an issue . I never ran across that before and it seems under load would be when a spark plug would act up like a plug wire. Both could at idle and last I checked pulling one wire at a time each one dropped the RPM by the same amount. I just pulled them at the cap . I have not checked the head temp sensor other than cold since 2009. Still it was something I changed in 2009 that caused this issue to crop up. It has not become any worse or better since then.

I can add resistance to the head temp sensor to the point it will act just like it does with the IAD sensor unplugged. And as I said when the engine is cold if I unplug IAD sensor it runs worse until it warms up 10 minutes or so. when cold I do not have that 1000- 2000 RPM struggle , It's a very short time frame to test. If you shut it down to test then the temps rise because there is no cooling air flow . wish there was a way to monitor the head sensor while running.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I may be way off . It seems to me with no load where I have this issue the MPS is what see's the load if I recall. Along with that the dist advance is based on RPM and load .

Since I didn't touch the fuel pressure in 2009 which the ECU does not see. It was @ 29 PSI.

I know back 20 years ago the fuel was different so I have to leave that out.

I did get a timing light in 2009 and just checked it and it was where it is supposed to be.

Now since the spark plugs were in their boxes since 97 and those are the ones I used in 2009 . All that time I could have dropped one can't say.

Is it even remotely possible that one has an issue . I never ran across that before and it seems under load would be when a spark plug would act up like a plug wire. Both could at idle and last I checked pulling one wire at a time each one dropped the RPM by the same amount. I just pulled them at the cap . I have not checked the head temp sensor other than cold since 2009. Still it was something I changed in 2009 that caused this issue to crop up. It has not become any worse or better since then.

I can add resistance to the head temp sensor to the point it will act just like it does with the IAD sensor unplugged. And as I said when the engine is cold if I unplug IAD sensor it runs worse until it warms up 10 minutes or so. when cold I do not have that 1000- 2000 RPM struggle , It's a very short time frame to test. If you shut it down to test then the temps rise because there is no cooling air flow . wish there was a way to monitor the head sensor while running.

No.

The MPS measures load CONSTANTLY.....from idle to WOT....and is the primary change agent for injection pulsewidth.
Idle IS a load factor. Anything north of idle is simply a higher load. The MPS has 100% effect at ALL TIMES.

This is why MPS adjustment is critical. It IS your primary fuel mixture adjustment. Fuel pressure is a secondary fuel mixture adjustment....but like TS 1 and 2.....its a background component of the fuel mixture.

I have spent YEARS trying to get this across to people. You cannot just plug in an MPS of the correct part # and assume its setting will create perfect running. We are far far gone from the days when that was even possible.

Engine wear, differences in rebuild and replacement parts, differences in fuel quality etc......all conspire to change the output of the engine....and resulting vacuum signature...enough....to warrant adjustment.

The items I have been speaking of here.....are SOME of the more common issues that are fuel delivery related....that cause this really common effect you are seeing.

Another two issues...which can also cause this issue.....and are tangentially affecting fuel delivery....are....
1. in the distributor and the combined level of shaft wear, points plate slop, centrifugal advance mechanism slop and axial distributor shaft movement from worn or missing shims between drive dog and body and looseness and axial movement of the trigger point cam which is held in place by a lug on the top and with shims underneath. Those shims turn to dust with age.....and the trigger point cam moves up and down vertically and gets loose.

2. The other issue is throttle shaft and plate wear. The bus guys also recently had a thread....about the issues of worn throttle plate....and the inability to hold stable idle and idle fuel mixture with age.

Both of these items affect the response of the MPS on pulsewidth....but by different means. The TB issue is a simple to understand issue of uncontrolled air leakage affecting the MPS.
The distributor wear causes idle timing variation and injection timing variation.....both of which affect vacuum signature because they change the way the engine runs.....which affects the MPS.

It creates a "cascade" effect at idle. When a minor worn part changes the way the engine runs....it affects vacuum signature.....this affects the MPS...which affects fuel mixture...which affects the way the engine runs....which affects vacuum signature....which affects the MPS....which affects the way the engine runs....which affects vscuum signature....which affects the MPS..................get it? It produces odd impulses and a slowly submarining idle.

Both of these items along with the the fueling issues mentioned earlier used to be a maddening chase for idle oscillation and hunting on otherwise nearly perfect running engines before I figured them out. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

The Bentley states later models 30 PSI. I even had mine at 32. didn't help. years ago I always set it @ 28 and it ran fine yet we didn't have the same fuel back then. I can tell you the new 2 port pump did add some pep for what ever reason. Same 30 PSI.

I run mine at 30 psi. Right now I'm getting 26 mpg, commuting 60 miles a day.

I use the gauge Ray recommended:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#3548k11/=v31ylk

I use the 0-36 psi version, accurate to +/- 1.5% over the entire range.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

Ray, it's interesting you mention the distributor. I just got mine rebuilt by Jim Adney. I sent it in because the vacuum canister was bad, but I had no idea if the distributor had ever been rebuilt. Jim said it was in dire need when he disassembled it. It's something I think anybody with an injected car should have done, because of the difference it makes in the vacuum signature, which as you point out makes such a difference in how the car runs, and on an automatic car, it makes a difference in the shifting as well.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Humor me . Reply with quote

I still have the 72 distributor in my car. Even had it in the original engine.
I rebuilt the 73 AH dist . it was not worn yet needed new fiber washers . I got a set from Glenn Ring yet since the washers under the trigger can as well as the shims are a smaller OD I used the larger fiber washer yet trimmed it down to fit . They were there yet fell apart.

I was going to put the AH back in until I discovered the ground on the advance plate on the AH was shorter and would not allow the Pertronix to seat . I was going to swap the advance plate yet didn't . Either than or remove the ground on the AH and solder in one so it is like the 72 .

Both do not feel sloppy yet I have no idea what the fiber washers look like in the 72 dist. The vacuum advance died long ago and I never noticed a change it's mainly for fuel economy. The trigger point drive is tight in both.

I just don't care for points they always went so far before it would start to miss . At the time in 2009 I didn't fool with changing the dist so it was not what caused the issue I have now. Never was able to find a good 303 stamped vacuum can since. I just have it in place to hold the advance plate from free moving.

One thing I do recall is when I used to adjust the valves I used to go by the 2 turn crank method . It seems more accurate since you know you are on the low part of the cam lobe , when you go by the dist 1-2-3-4 you might be off just enough. I have an extra pulley so I found the 180 mark from TDC and marked the pulley in the car the same way . I trust the TDC mark more. Been so long I need to find the method Russ used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: