Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding a 2.5 liter
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
standdup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding a 2.5 liter Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone here know where I could purchase a rebuild kit for a 1995 acu engine? 200 Kmi and I think this thing is toast.

Also, would the Bentley manuals walk me thru the rebuilding process or would I need a full on mechanics manual.

I don't believe there's anyone in my area (Alaska) willing to do it, nor can I afford it, therefore I'll probably try to do it myself. Sounds like a good winter project and it's something I've always wanted to try. Hanks.

Dave
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 2.5 liter Reply with quote

I'm not sure there's an all inclusive "kit" available, but I assume the individual parts are fairly easily obtained from all the usual VAG vendors. You might find that the Audi folks like Blauparts are more well versed in five cylinder engines. The Bentley should be more than enough information to guide you through a rebuild. Other than the timing belt driven waterpump, these engines aren't much different from VAG four cylinders of the same era.

200k isn't a ton of miles for these engines, so why do you think it's toast? I would perform a compression and leakdown test prior to embarking on a full rebuild. It might just need a top end refresh. Hell, you could even pull the head and oil pan and then hone the cylinders and do new rings and rodbearings with the engine still in the van. Lots of options

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
standdup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 2.5 liter Reply with quote

It sounds like it's got a rod knocking. And, it looks like there's some blow by too in at least one of the cylinders because when you pull the dipstick you get vapor puffs out of the tube. It had a long term head gasket leak that the previous owner let go, and which left me stranded in North Dakota. I had a shop in Billings fix that for me but after I drove it home to AK these other issues began.

I'm trying to make room in my shop so that I can start diving into it. Thanks for the help.
bobj4172
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding a 2.5 liter Reply with quote

Did you rebuild your engine? I have the same issue with my ACU engine. The last owner let the oil get low and now it knocks badly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: