Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Bump out, I had a nice tight gap when I started welding it ook 2 days
of tacking and retacking the welds to get panel on .
It seems like in some areas of the repair the new panel moved over the old causing a bump.
looking back I could of had more space between panels to prevent that from happening.and there was some small warping even with tacking and cooling method.
I will be working on it some more today to level it before before prepping area.
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

I was so unhappy with the seam weld on the long wall, do to a nasty
bump forming that I cut it out and I am going to retry it!
I am not a pro welder but I do want good results for this bus.
Looks like I butt welded the seam to tight and it mis shaped to all hell.
I will allow more gap and weld from inside the bus to keep less build up
on the seam . I think this should give better results, important this part of repair is done well .. for my own sanity .....
we will see.✌
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

WOW!

I like your dedication to a nice weld. I've learned there is a fine line between too much gap and not enough. I am still learning what that gap is. Were you quenching every tack with air on the previous attempt? Like cooling them down until you can hold your finger on them? I'm experimenting with my technique now. Good luck I'll be watching!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Yep.. air hose was right with me when welding.I am thinking of a sponge this time ,looked on welding sites and they use it to shrink metal. will test it first.
welds where good ,I think I just got to fixed on the gap being really tight and had no room for metal to move.
If that even makes sense Rolling Eyes ?
after cutting weld and resetting with clamps I feel alot better about re welding panel.
I hate having to redue stuff but the quality was not there.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Probably too tight of a gap then. Perhaps the weld heat tried to spread the panels apart. I've seen guys clamp the lower part of the panel to the inner rocker instead of welding it then doing the butt weld.... maybe the clamps allow the panel to move downwards just a little as the weld expands.

73sparks wrote:
Yep.. air hose was right with me when welding.I am thinking of a sponge this time ,looked on welding sites and they use it to shrink metal. will test it first.
welds where good ,I think I just got to fixed on the gap being really tight and had no room for metal to move.
If that even makes sense Rolling Eyes ?
after cutting weld and resetting with clamps I feel alot better about re welding panel.
I hate having to redue stuff but the quality was not there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

how far apart did you space your first pass?
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
how far apart did you space your first pass?

Are you stitching, or spot welding? Whenever I weld my seams, I put a tack down, then move down far enough to where I don’t feel any heat, and put another tack down, and continue doing that until I get to the end, then start over at the beginning with the same process. When the tacks get closer I wait longer for the panels to cool.
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

I clamped my lower panel to rocker and welded seam , I should have tacked rocker first preventing panel from moving up.

my first try at the seam I had very minimal space between panels.
To tight for sure.
now that lower panel is welded and I have a better gap in the seam
I will have better finished weld.
I am tacking my welds starting at one end and jumping in front of heat and tacking another and cooling the welds withh air.
I might try a sponge instead to cool welds,any thoughts on that technique?
Thanks
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Check this thread out. You might have to register to view site but well worth the read. I have been trying to perfect this method of welding panels.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6292
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

I am learning too so I don't have enough passes on a very long panel yet.

What size wire are you using?

73sparks wrote:
I clamped my lower panel to rocker and welded seam , I should have tacked rocker first preventing panel from moving up.

my first try at the seam I had very minimal space between panels.
To tight for sure.
now that lower panel is welded and I have a better gap in the seam
I will have better finished weld.
I am tacking my welds starting at one end and jumping in front of heat and tacking another and cooling the welds withh air.
I might try a sponge instead to cool welds,any thoughts on that technique?
Thanks
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

I will check website thanks.
wire size .25
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

rewelded long panel, better results this try.
will need some skimming and working ,should be fine.
cargo floors going in and prepping floors for paint.
alot of work and frustation but should be good results
when done.

braddick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Nice job on the long side
Enjoying the build
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Looks better! You can also try an .023 wire, that's pretty standard with auto body. I like ESAB's .023 EZ grind wire. I'm sure it's just an ER60S wire...but it grinds nice and fast on non-structural panels. For structural panels, stick with an ER70S wire.
Unless you plan on doing a bunch of shrinking/ stretching when you are finished welding...stay away from cooling with wet rags and towels. Planishing each tack weld helps open the gap back up to where you put it in the beginning...and it "sets" the weld nugget.
I can stitch 20 gauge at about 1 inch at a time...but you are REALLY risking warping if you don't know what you're doing. I've even played around with 20 gauge and stitching about 4 inches with wire speed and voltage set where it starts to sound like popcorn...not the ultimate settings, but sometime voltage needs to be lower to get the desired results.
Play around with settings and different thicknesses and wire to get really good results.
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Good info Motofly..
The cooling method with water did work better than air but I do have a few spots to shrink.
This size of panel and the length of weld might have been my match
alot of time and not done yet.
I want it to be a good job , a big section of bus metal 👍
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Nice work! The cutting, welding and straightening part is what I like most about owning VWs. After that I get bored!!! Confused

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

If you have a helper, try planishing each weld nugget. Just have them stay inside the bus. When you place a tack, set the gun down, grab an auto body hammer, have them hold up a flat faced dolly to the new tack and you give the weld a firm tap. That will open the weld gap back up. It also helps resist warpage on a panel that long.
If you just weld along a panel like that, you are putting heat and expanding the joint...then as it cools, it contracts. Do that enough times and you end up with a very wavy panel.
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Been working on long panel and rear corners to get them ready for blending.Very happy with the progress I have made.
cargo door bottom repairs next, then weld doglegs in to place.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

Better feather out that hard line, or it's going to show REAL bad....
73sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing back to life my1960 swr kombi Reply with quote

you talking about long wall?
my buddy put straight paint line ,filler is feathered at edges below paint line.
passenger side rear wheel area needs a little more sanding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: