Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Webasto Heater Retrofit
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

There was no way in Hell that I was going to endure another Kansas Winter without a heater in my DD. So, I finally installed my Webasto! It fits in the stock location with a simply fabricated bracket. I managed to plumb it in using only the factory holes utilized by the BN-4. So far, I'm pleased with the fit and performance. It was only 45F tonight (hardly a real test...) but I can tell this thing is going to ROAST me out of the car! I had to turn it way down after 5 minutes, or so. We are forecasted to be below freezing in a few days, so I'll report back with the results.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

Can you provide a link and some info about that heater, and maybe photos where it dumps into the passenger compartment?
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

This is the heater: https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/truck/heating-systems/products/air-top-2000-stc/

The inlet and discharge ducting mounting is a little hokey right now. I have to fab some backing plates and order a couple duct caps.

207-242-0016
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

Very interesting to see that installed. I have one of those I bought for a beetle project I'm working on, currently still in the box. You have a gasoline unit then? I did finally get a gasoline one, but it took me a while to find it. Diesel units seem to be more plentiful. I had seen inlet and exhaust through fittings on ebay, for marine purposes I think. I have a working BN4 in my Thing, I can imagine a modern version being even better. Enjoy!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

Where did you guys buy the gasoline units?

I just see diesel ones available as well.

How is the wiring? Pretty much and exhaust and a combustion intake tube on the bottom then an intake on one end and the outlet on the other. It puts out 7500btu from what I read.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

I ordered mine from Heatso.com. They initially sent me a diesel version, and I considered running it, but returned it for a gasoline unit.

The wiring was super easy to put together. My only gripe is that the harness is built for LARGE vehicles. For example, the wiring from the controller to the heater is 8ft long. I chose to coil the excess wiring behind the heater rather than trim to fit, in case I pull it for another project.

Next up is block-off plates for the ducting inlet and discharge hoses...
207-242-0016
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of Heatso.com, I'm glad to find out about them. Mine came from here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBASTO-AIR-TOP-2000STC-P...1438.l2649
Good seller, no complaints.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that the Webasto is doing great! Temps were down to 28F a couple days ago, and the temp inside the cabin was 72F at a 1/3 setting. I reconfigured the flow to pull fresh air from the trunk, rather than recirculating. It really cut down on the many tiny drafts from curtain gaps.
207-242-0016
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

Can you post photos of your new config when you get a chance? Thanks!
DucksHockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

I am just about to install a diesel heater (similar to your Webasto). Can you please post a picture of how you ran the ducting for the fresh air intake? Also, are you just running the one output that is located in the middle of the car under the dash?
Vintage Speed Exhaust and Shifter

1972 Karmann Ghia Convertible
2007 Full-flow Engine
Dual HPMX 40's
Vintage Speed Exhaust and Shifter

1973 Thing
1904 Full-flow Engine
Dual HPMX 40's
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Webasto Heater Retrofit Reply with quote

In my case in my beetle fresh air for combustion was left open to draw out of the trunk. My weather seal on the trunk is so bad it doesn't concern me much. Exhaust goes through the fender. Otherwise air is drawn out of the cabin on the driver's side, is heated and put back in the car on the passenger side. This works well as it doesn't set my feet on fire, now my wife (passenger), well I didn't ask her first. If I installed one in my thing I would do it similarly, I do need to devise a take off for defrost.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: