Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Credit card fraud
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Back in August I purchased VW parts from 2 different VW parts vendors. I had not used the credit card for many months before that. I now have 8 unauthorized & fraudulent charges on my Sept. statement that I am disputing. None of these new unauthorized charges were for VW parts. Somebody got my CC# and is purchasing lots of make-up and jewelry. Has anybody else had problems with their credit card after purchasing VW parts from a popular VW supplier?

I am not ready to point fingers at any of them just yet, but just want to see if anybody knows of their systems have been hacked, or possibly a bad employee.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

I have had that happen, but I do not suspect the VW part vendor. The data passes through many hands, especially if you buy online.

The charge was removed by the CC company. I did not have to get a new card in this case. But sometimes that is your only remedy.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

My debit card was sniped at a fuel station in the Phoenix area. I was never in Tucson or points in between...Did not have to pay the charges. I hold my hand over all of the keys after entering the PIN. It warms all of the keys so the person with a heat seeking app cannot detect my pin by the heated keys as they are all warmed up.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
My debit card was sniped at a fuel station in the Phoenix area. I was never in Tucson or points in between...Did not have to pay the charges. I hold my hand over all of the keys after entering the PIN. It warms all of the keys so the person with a heat seeking app cannot detect my pin by the heated keys as they are all warmed up.

I NEVER use a debit card for anything other than to take money from my local bank's ATM. And I still got hacked. Inside job so luckily I got all my money back. At least with a CC there is a limit to your liability, at least theoretically. That's why at gas stations it's cash only.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Yes. Someone used my card info in CA to purchase food and gas a couple months ago. I haven't been in CA since '98, but I do purchase Bug parts from CA. My CC company caught it and refunded the money. However, that was just the first wave of attacks on my accounts. Mad I'm still feeling the pain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

I stopped using the "pay at the pump" at one particular gas station a few years ago and my CC issues have ceased (for now).
Your issue almost sounds like fallout that Equifax breach, except the makeup and teenage style purchases haven't been showing up on your doorstep to test your card out, maybe they cut out the trial and proceeded directly to "ship to me"?.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

At the last place where I had my car, I was billed for work that I'm sure wasn't done, I was afraid that they would continue to charge me for stuff and then claim they never billed for it. I immediately called my bank and told them I was afraid my debit card had been compromised and they reissued me a different card and number.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

fix the card then make another order and see what happens,nothing then ...try another card at the other place.... Shocked , when my 96 year old gramer in california was dieing and in a nursing facility for 2 weeks before she left , somebody there got her card and sold the ## on line and lotsa purchases from boca rattan Fl. her card reappeared after 2 days. my mom was there and noticed her purse had moved to across the room.. from in a drawer..but granny hadent been out of bed.....and mom had already checked it and it was there when they checked her into the room the day before... 2 more days and the card was back and the purse had moved again.....of course it could of been spooks or grand paw...since he had died 15 years earlyer...... they sell the card numbers, dont take long. but now days they have chips!!!! chips are still fatening and also still the same issues with fraud. did you have frog Protection?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

I had TWO different B of A Visa cards (charge cards) sniped at two different Phoenix Circle K stores buying gas at the pumps a couple of years ago. Thieves use little readers inserted into the slot to steal information. I did not have to pay for air tickets to Europe or Europe train tickets charged on my card (I don't fly, and I don't have a passport, and have zero desire to go to Europe). B of A security expert told me to ONLY use such cards INSIDE where a thief cannot readily monkey with the card readers. And so I do.

Gordon - you should know by now that Phoenix is not as honest as Show Low !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

There have been multiple threads talking about card theft aND ID theft. Most of them have been met with complete ignorance here when I start going into what can happen when you post certain information. I just shut up even though I was the guy who did the verifications for multiple credit companies.

All I can say is use visa or Mastercard and stay away from using debt cards due to their card holder protections.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

I had TWO different B of A Visa cards (charge cards) sniped at two different Phoenix Circle K stores buying gas at the pumps a couple of years ago. Thieves use little readers inserted into the slot to steal information. I did not have to pay for air tickets to Europe or Europe train tickets charged on my card (I don't fly, and I don't have a passport, and have zero desire to go to Europe). B of A security expert told me to ONLY use such cards INSIDE where a thief cannot readily monkey with the card readers. And so I do.

Gordon - you should know by now that Phoenix is not as honest as Show Low !!!

Last year 10 gas stations had the same card readers inserted into the pay at the pumps. One was right next to a police station.

To the OP were the purchases made in the same city/area where the parts supplier is located?

I had a card stolen on a trip to Miami. They made 13,000 worth of purchases at K Mart over 5 purchases (leads me to believe they bought a bunch of tvs, electronics, gift cards). I called the K mart and talked with the managers and relayed to my credit card fraud department. They were disinterested and cleared all the charges. I guess they just write these cases off.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

I recently tried to use one of my credit cards to find out it had been canceled. Called the holder and apparently a few months back it had some charges show up that ended up being fraudulent. I have had this card for many years and never a problem until I recently made a few purchases on ebay through paypal. I didn't have an ebay or paypal account, but you can still make purchases through paypal using a credit card and paypal handles the transaction. Bingo, all of a sudden fraudulent charges. Fortunately this is all within the time frame to file a dispute. I had a paypal account way back when they first started and quickly closed it shortly afterwards because of their scams. Lesson learned, I will never again have anything to do with ebay or paypal.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Very good idea about paying indoors at the fuel station. I like it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Very good idea about paying indoors at the fuel station. I like it.

And if you pay indoors with CASH...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Got a voicemail on cell phone today from B of A fraud dept. because I transferred some funds from savings to checking there (to move out of B of A), so they called to check on that, I had to call them back.

Now I got an E-mail from B of A stating that "We're letting you know your Online Banking Passcode was reset on 10/24/2017. If you didn't request this change, please call us at 1.800.933.6262." Well, I didn't request such change, so now they're trying to figure this out. Might be related to the fraud dept. thing above.....so I'm waiting again......
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Got a voicemail on cell phone today from B of A fraud dept. because I transferred some funds from savings to checking there (to move out of B of A), so they called to check on that, I had to call them back.

Now I got an E-mail from B of A stating that "We're letting you know your Online Banking Passcode was reset on 10/24/2017. If you didn't request this change, please call us at 1.800.933.6262." Well, I didn't request such change, so now they're trying to figure this out. Might be related to the fraud dept. thing above.....so I'm waiting again......

Really sucks because now you can't even trust if it really is the fraud department calling to report fraud!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

confused as you did transfer funds from one account to another in the same bank and now you pin is changed???

72 type 1
72 Squareback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

Dave...
Sounds like one of the vw suppliers hired a new secretary.. Did you find out where the makeup was shipped to?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
Really sucks because now you can't even trust if it really is the fraud department calling to report fraud!

Right, didn't know if that was a legitimate e-mail or not (turns out it was), but I didn't click on anything in that E-mail either.

gt1953 wrote:
confused as you did transfer funds from one account to another in the same bank and now you pin is changed???

Yes, electronic transfer from B of A savings to B of A checking account; guess they figured that the amount was "fishy".

OK, so got logged in to my B of A site after call to 2nd B of A person for a re-set over the phone (rep told me not to click on "forgot password").

Then I found that B of A software claimed two different Visa accounts there (one I use just for Chino Valley Internet and Ooma phone each month, fixed amounts on auto-billing) were red-flagged as past due, and when I clicked those each said due yesterday. So I had to call a THIRD B of A phone number and clear all that up, those had been paid electronically using Wells Fargo account. Pain in the buttski !!!

At least Mrs. Cusser and the animals will be back from up north about 4pm, and even though she has dog agility class tonight and I'll need to do my own dinner and can watch world series, at least we'll be together tonight.

vwjetboat wrote:
Dave...
Sounds like one of the vw suppliers hired a new secretary.. Did you find out where the makeup was shipped to?

Last year, when resurrecting my 1970 VW, I made online orders to Wolfsburg West, JBugs, CB Performance, and RockAuto (and more than 1 order to several of those), and a couple to Ebay retailers and did NOT have any fraud issues with charge card or with PayPal.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Credit card fraud Reply with quote

My card gets hijacked about every 6 months. My bank is very good about catching it. They turn my card off and immediately text me.

They are also very good about turning it off for valid charges. All I have to do is reply to the text message that the charges are valid and it's back on.

Every time I replace the card they tell me the things to do are:

Do not pay at the pump with a card.
When you give your card to someone keep them in sight or ask to go with them to swipe your card.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: