Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I cannot imagine anything catastrophic. Just that the motor when spinning will flings whatever grease is there onto ???? - hopefully not the disc or those mating surfaces. Once that area starts getting hot, and it gets seriously hot, it may smell like burnt grease. That's the only thing I would think could happen. Hopefully it is less and all you get is a greasy tranny bell housing. Don't loose any sleep over it. Drive on!

Well...there's been too much vibration from the engine thru all the way to the steering wheel. At least that's what it feels like to me, it's not the Super Shimmy. Fearing I may have a loose flywheel or warped clutch, I dropped the engine again.

The flywheel and clutch plate both have a thin film of grime on them that I think is grease. Perhaps I over-greased the needle bearing on the gland nut or the grease I put on the starter gear came back to bite me, per Jimbo's warning above.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also have small shallow grooves along the outer edge of the flywheel's inner rim which I could feel with my fingernail. Not sure if you can see them in this picture.

I decided to try and smooth it out myself using a 60-grit or slightly higher disk on my home drill, followed by a polishing disk.

Also did this to the clutch pressure plate's face:

Question now is...do I risk re-using these two items or should I bite the bullet and buy new ones? The pressure plate is stamped VW/Sachs so it may be original VW factory equipment, or a NOS replacement.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

personaly i like new stuff. Ive seen people/shops serface things like you did and turn them into junk... I also dont trust machine shops that Im not running.. to Properly serface the flywheel... you could send it to mofoco he reworks the oe flywheels and should be doing it right. dont forget a new oring in the flywheel to keep out oil&slipery stuff. dont forget the trans seal too witch may be leeken too, I kinda doubt the starter can sling greese into the clutch. the pilot needs little greese. as for your shaking...kinda doubt it was the clutch unless your talking abolut a chattering issue then it may be clutch along with motor mounts& bowden tube.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

I've had 2 flywheels recut and haven't had a problem. I remember them telling me these flywheels are a 2 step cut so it costs a bit more to do it. I don't remember what they charged me though.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Thanks both for your input. Dwayne what did it cost you to get it resurfaced?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Victor, I'd just buy a new flywheel (I don't know who makes them) and a Sachs pressure plate. By the time you send it off and pay for return shipping, plus not knowing what you'll get back, I'd rather just bite the bullet and be done with it by buying new.

While you're at it, get the kind of clutch driven disc that has the springs. They're much smoother in my opinion, although some of the Sachs have springs that hang up on the pressure plate. Wolfgang International sells one from China that doesn't cause any issues like this. The brand is, I believe, OE, or something like that, but it's a very nice clutch disc, nonetheless. About $34 dollars.

I just removed my engine to install a new alternator, and while it was out, I figured, yet another flywheel seal was in order--especially since it had been leaking more oil than I like from the bottom of the bell housing.

When I took the clutch apart, I was shocked to see there was grease on the outer edge of my fairly new clutch driven disc. It was just on the outer 1/4 inch, so there was no slipping, etc., so I didn't think there was anything going on, but there was.

I had put a very thin layer of Sta-lube black moly grease in the gland nut bearing, as well as a very thin film on the tube the throw out bearing rides on. The grease had to have come from either of these two sources; and I suspect it was the gland nut, since the throw out-bearing sleeve doesn't spin around.

This time around, I didn't grease the throw out bearing sleeve at all, and I was very, very thrifty with greasing the bearing in the new gland nut I installed.

Speaking of grease, I suppose it's possible some of the grease from your throw out bearing may have leaked out? I don't know if that's possible, but you may as well check it out and get a new German Sachs if necessary.

Expensive advice, I know, but I've found that doing things one at a time, makes for more issues down the line--and more engine pulls.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Checking flywheel, put it on the engine and check the runout.

As far as the pressure plate....is the shoe flat? Does it rattle?
Does it have weights or rivets attached and/or holes or marks from being
balanced?
Does it fit in the flywheel snug?
When you bolt it in look at the angle of the diaphragm spring arms, should be near flat across when installed.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

vibration in the steerin wheel could be from something else, unless you feel it when car is not moving. if the vibration is only when car is not moving, then motor including flywheel issues are likely, so does it vibrate when car moving or not or both?

usually a worn flywheel wont cause vibration but may cause slipping if the cluth one that is out of balance is another matter, ideally the flywheel is balanced with the crank.

the friction disc MUST be centered during assembly of it and the pressure plate to f
ywheel, are you using a centering tool while bolting together the flywheel and clutch, if not that maybe the whole problem, lack of centering will cause unbalace and thus vibration

does depressing clutch pedal effect change in vibration?

no need to polish the surfaces, simply degrease, and sand to remove any glaze, if not rutted or gouged, and within wear limit, Id reuse it.

go easy on tbe grease next time. and be sure to use a centering tool.

good luck, bug on!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I've had 2 flywheels recut and haven't had a problem. I remember them telling me these flywheels are a 2 step cut so it costs a bit more to do it. I don't remember what they charged me though.

Yes, when the flywheel is resurfaced the machine shop will fly cut the surface where the clutch disc rests AND they will also fly cut the raised lip where the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. The distance between these two is very specific (I don’t know what the spec is), but if you have shaved off more than a few throusandths of an inch you could run into a situation where the fingers of the pressure plate will extend too far out that you cannot adjust the TO bearing correctly. What usually happens is you cannot compress the PP springs enough to relese the clutch disc so the engine is always connected to the transmission.

The TO bearing range of motion is limited. You cannot change it.
But if you cut just the disc surface of the flywheel you increase the range of motion needed for the PP to disengage the disc. At some point that range of motion will exceed what the TO bearing can provide and when you step in the clutch the PP will not fully disengage. By cutting the PP mounting lip you decrease the range of motion needed by the PP.

There is nothing wrong with taking your flywheel to a shop to be resurfaced. Just make sure the shop has worked with acvws before.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with taking your flywheel to a shop to be resurfaced. Just make sure the shop has worked with acvws before.

If they never saw a VW/audi flywheel..... must be the new guy!
The later models ( rabbits. so forth) are even WORSE, if they can do those, they can do these!!

But anyway, the OLD school grinding stones it was hard to keep a sharp edge, so EASY to accidentally grind out bigger and now your pressure plate is loose in it's hole.....which is bad, makes it off balance.

MOST shops now will have CBN composite wheel on their grinder, which don't need to be dressed, and makes it a lot easier to get into the corners of these stepped flywheels.

So....I would not necessarily be looking for the oldest backwoods shop to do the job. It's a lot easier with modernish technology, like your local napa or clutch specialty shop should have.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

tMan, lots of great info here, w/a mix of replace new, take to a shop and resurface, just deglaze and replace. I'm a little stumped.

Bluebus - i did feel slight vibration in the wheel when idling, but much stronger as soon as i put a load on the engine - driving it basically.

Tim - I already bought a sprung disk here on the samba. The TO looks and feels fine. The current plate has a thin film of grease over pretty much the whole surface, not just the outer edge. There was mild film on the flywheel and pressure plate as well.

Modok - here's the pressure plate before I removed it from the motor, maybe you can point out the items you were asking about - rivets, drillings, etc.

How do I measure run out? I can look this up in the Bentley later, but a quick tip perhaps...? I probably need a dial indicator? I'll check to see if it fits snugly on the flywheel after work today.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Thanks both for your input. Dwayne what did it cost you to get it resurfaced?

If I recall I think it was around $60. That was about 2 years ago.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

For 60 bucks i might as well go new. Bughaus sells one for $64. Unless the one I have is a VW one that's still serviceable and worth preserving.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Checking flywheel, put it on the engine and check the runout.

I found these instructions for checking runout. Time to add a dial indicator to my tool set!
http://constructionearthmover.tpub.com/TM-5-3800-205-23-1/TM-5-3800-205-23-10759.htm

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

I found an old thread with the 200mm flywheel specs (courtesy of modok) Wink :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7451260
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Ashman. Modok has a lot of good info out there in samba land.

Speaking of Modok - I just checked and the pressure plate sits nice and flat on the flywheel, no high spots at all.

And here's another shot of the flywheel - not sure why there are two big drillings there on the edge or what the two little nipples at the bottom of the picture are for.

The drillings don't go all the way thru. Are they made as part of balancing that's done when it's manufactured?

Is there anyway to tell if this is an original VW factory flywheel? There are no VW or other stamps on it, but it may be worth saving if it is.

Off to the FLAPs to see if I can borrow a dial indicator.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

The drilled holes on the outer edge are for balancing the flywheel.

The two prongs are for the later sensor/pickup that was mounted into the flange of the case and connected back to the diagnostic plug in the engine compartment. It allows the diagnostic machine to read each time the flywheel rotated past the pickup and measure the engine rpm.

I don't think those pegs were used on any aftermarket flywheels so you probably have an original VW flywheel. Though there were literally millions made each year so I'm not sure they have any significant value.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Ok, that's good to know. I wasn't thinking of it in terms of resale value, more in terms o quality - maybe I'm better off refinishing this one than buying new. Like getting a VolkzBitz rebuilt solex vs a new empi carb.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

One thing to consider before having your flywheel cut is the surface for the rear main seal. If that is questionable you probably should go with a new flywheel.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Here's what it looks like w/out having been wiped down. There are rings on it but it's smooth - I can't feel any ridges w/my fingers or finger nail - and the seal is undamaged. Go or no-go...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

The area where your flywheel's seal rides is much different than mine. I call that area a "horn" because on mine, it looks sort of like the mouth of a horn. The edges are sloped, while yours appears stick out straight and then flattens to a right angle. Maybe they changed the design on the '74's.

Edit: someone is selling an NOS 200 mm flywheel in the 1968 parts in the Classifieds. It still has cosmoline on it. Not too expensive, either.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: