Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Dropped the trans and removed the nose cone. Sure enough, the forks weren't lined up when I put on the cover back on after changing the gasket.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I realigned them, re-installed the nose cone -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And mounted the transmission w/just front mount bolts and frame horn bolts to hold it in place, and connected the shift coupler. I was able to shift thru all four gears, and put it into reverse. This weekend I'll reconnect everything, reinstall the engine, and we'll see if it's any good thru all the gears.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Finally got it back on the road today. Took it out for a test drive.

Link

Link

I wasn't able to get up to highway cruising speed where I was but I did get to 60. Felt good, shifted easily into all the gears, no more vibrations in the steering wheel from oil in the clutch or whatever was causing that. I do have to adjust the shift plate as the shifter goes a little too far to put it into 1 or 2nd if I go hard left on it.

If the snow we're supposed to get tomorrow isn't too sever, I'll take it on a highway run. This car's louder than the '74, not sure why that is. But it also has more torque in all gears than the '74.

Thanks everyone for your input - from a messed up clutch plate to a completely "new" tranny!!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Congrats, Victor! I like that teal shifter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Thought I would share my recent experience with Samba members. The throw out fork failed on my 65. I thought cable at first but later after replacing the cable that the T/O fork was the problem. Being a conscientious guy I figure heck I'll replace the fork, T/O bearing, pressure plate and disk, have the flywheel dressed up and while in there replace the rear mounts on the transaxle. I got this all done seemingly without issues. Then I drive it home. I was getting a severe vibration through the steering wheel and through the seat cushion. Vibrations were not there at idle but very bad up the RPM range 2,000/2,500 RPMs. I was so concerned I trailered it to my mechanic fearing engine damage if I drove it too much. The mechanic was immediately open to the idea of pulling the engine again and redoing the work. He stepped up and took the job on asking for no more money. I insisted on paying for another new Sachs clutch kit in case we hade a bad part. The work got done again. When I went to pick it up the look on the Mechanics face said it all. The vibration was still there. Just as bad. I limped the car home the 5 miles as slowly as possible. Ended up going to another mechanic in the area well versed in air cooled VW engines. Here is what we found out. The guy who machined the flywheel removed a tiny bit too much material where the pressure plate fits into the flywheel. The pressure plate was not centering in it's spot in the flywheel. Which is odd because the PP bolts in with holes threaded to match and one would think that this would make for a tight fit. No. There was a very slight play in the bolt up of the PP causing it to run out of balance with the other rotating masses causing the vibration. I ended up having the flywheel and PP balanced as well as the pressure plate getting centered and punched into place. The end result is a perfectly smooth and lovely running engine again. What a mess! I was unaware of this condition when the flywheel is cut and not savy enough to be on guard. Heck I always just slapped in the pressure plate and bolted it up and on my way. This was a costly adventure. But I am happy that we found the issue and fixed it. I share this experience in the hopes that one or more of you will be aware of this condition when you do your clutch/flywheel work. I feel stupid that I wasn't technically sharp enough to catch this the first go round. Whew! Nice to have this behind me.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Great add to the thread, glad you got it fixed!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Super - DIY Resurface Flywheel & Pressure Plate..Or Buy New? Reply with quote

Nice job Victor!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: