Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

I have a pair of the headlights being sold by Bus Depot that are maybe 5-6 years old at this point in time:

https://www.busdepot.com/0301600118
The lenses have gotten pretty foggy on the inside so I was wondering what others have done to clean them.

Thanks, WT
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

It skunds crude....but it works. I use a pair of long harbor freight hemostats clamped onto a rolled up piece of soft, clean cotton cloth....a classic yellow dust cloth actually....wet with non ammonia glass cleaner like windex crystal rain. Wet it all down and then use a dry one tk polish. Takes several passes. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Windex without ammonia.

Stopped by a VW shop a while back and some guy was spraying them with clear coat. He said it prevented them from becoming foggy/yellow. Not sure if it's the same foggy you may be speaking of though.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

I think....or assumed......he is speaking of the fog that appears over time on the inside of the glass lenses and on the reflectors of any lamp that has a removeable bulb assembly....H1, HB2,H3, H4 etc.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

I've used rubbing alcohol inside of H4's Shocked

A little tricky getting to all areas.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I think....or assumed......he is speaking of the fog that appears over time on the inside of the glass lenses and on the reflectors of any lamp that has a removeable bulb assembly....H1, HB2,H3, H4 etc.
Ray

Yes that is what I am talking about. For the lights I bought from BD the problem seem pretty extreme. Looking at the BD lenses it seems impossible that one could drive safely at night at all, the 26-35 year old lenses on my Vanagons being no where near as bad. IIM, the problem seemed to have occurred very quickly over the last few months.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Ray

Yes that is what I am talking about. For the lights I bought from BD the problem seem pretty extreme. Looking at the BD lenses it seems impossible that one could drive safely at night at all, the 26-35 year old lenses on my Vanagons being no where near as bad. IIM, the problem seemed to have occurred very quickly over the last few months.

I have never figured out exactly where this greasy film comes from. I "think" it is plasticizers that have leached out of the rubber cover/boot.....or may be from the adhesive that is used for assembly.
I have some new from the 80s Hella H4 and HB-2 driving lights in the box that are really foggy....and the four on my car are fovgy and need cleaning. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

soapy (dishsoap ) warm water, followed by clean water, and some soft towels pushed around by something soft then let them air or blow a hair dryer in on low. Even really clean compressed air. I am guessing you are talking about CIBIE, Hella's etc.. I'd avoid ammonia and/or alcohol only because I have seen finishes stripped by both.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

I've never tried it, but remember from my days on the Cabriolet email list, recommendations to use some of those denture cleaning tablets inside the light.

It was more or less fill the light housing with water, and drop in a fizzy tablet.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Regular isopropyl....or as I and others have noted....amonnia free windex work fine.

At least on Hella products....the old school lnes...70% isopropyl will not hurt anything. The reflectors are vapor coated steel. Nothing but something abrasive will hurt those. Cant vouch for new stuff. The lenses are lead crystal.

The problem with this fog/film is that its oily.

I would tend to say dishwashing ljquid as well....but be careful because on newer types.....dishwashing liquid can defeat the lens to reflector adhesive if its git any pores. Dilute it well. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Regular isopropyl....or as I and others have noted....amonnia free windex work fine.

At least on Hella products....the old school lnes...70% isopropyl will not hurt anything. The reflectors are vapor coated steel. Nothing but something abrasive will hurt those. Cant vouch for new stuff. The lenses are lead crystal.

I would tend to say dishwashing ljquid as well....but be careful because on newer types.....dishwashing liquid can defeat the lens to reflector adhesive if its git any pores. Dilute it well. Ray

A very expensive diving watch leaked on a dive. I put it in mild alcohol per the standard practice of the day until it could go to the shop. Oops. Lifted all the clear coating on the face. Really careful with alcohol these days because many glues and coatings are alcohol based instead of HC solvent based.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

A very expensive diving watch leaked on a dive. I put it in mild alcohol per the standard practice of the day until it could go to the shop. Oops. Lifted all the clear coating on the face. Really careful with alcohol these days because many glues and coatings are alcohol based instead of HC solvent based.

Oh man...thats a fact!

Its not so much that they are alcohol based...even some of the solvent/HC based coatings, paints, inks etc....have this issue with "most" alcohols. it has to do with the actual binder and not the carrier solvent per-se....and the strength of the alcohol.

For instance...70% isopropyl is actually more damaging to some of these coatings...because it has water in it. Its literally water diluted. Water by itself...aside from causing rust....may not touch some of these coatings...but mixed will alcohol its solvency is multiplied. On many of these coatings stronger...but pure 99% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) may not hurt it at all.

Ray
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

I just bought these Hella H4 headlights from Bus Depot. Even out of the box, the inside surface of the lens has a milky film.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reading through the descriptions on how to clean the lens made sense… until I tried to do it. See the photo below. There is a metal cage in the hole that blocks direct forward light from the bulb. That cage would make it virtually impossible to get any sort of rag inside there and do a thorough job. Is this a different style than everyone else has? If not, did you remove the cage? It looks like I could, but the metal is thin and I am afraid I will break something.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

can't you fish strips of a diaper or something in there, swish with a mild soap and water then invert and get the strips out and rinse with really clean water - maybe even distilled water? I know that some of the milky color is a result of particulates in the air, but some is also due to the dies not being as good as they were in 1970. I use Cibie myself and they don't seem to be as milky as the Hellas. 7" round just isn't that popular anymore for factories to invest in new dies.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I followed your suggestion to the letter and it worked great. After the distilled water I ran a hair dryer on warm and the did a final pass with a clean cloth. Big difference. Shame I have to spend an hour of my Sunday cleaning a brand new part, but that's another topic.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
I just bought these Hella H4 headlights from Bus Depot. Even out of the box, the inside surface of the lens has a milky film.

I noted this on mine too, but I was in a hurry when I installed them. (Detroit, October 2016, Kate's house… Wink )

I don't recall how long it took to burn off, but they're crystal clear now. Anybody else note how long theirs took?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

My '78 has Bosch (motorcycle) lights from Bus Depot that I installed at some point as I was working on the TDI conversion. So they've been there for roughly 3 years. With relays and the upgraded 90/100w bulbs, the high beams are so bright you can see into the future!

But they still have haze in there.

Later (2015ish), I installed the Bus Depot upgrade kit that they sell for round-light Vanagons in my '73. It includes Hella lenses. Again with the beefy bulbs. Certainly an improvement over stock headlights, but not quite as bright or defined beam as the setup in the '78.

They might have a little bit of haze, not sure... I cannot see the swirl like I can in the '78.

I need to change the bulbs in the '78 (both beefy bulbs burned out on a recent trip-that was an adventure-I replaced with stuff from the FLAPS but just ordered new bulbs.) Maybe then I'll try washing them. With what? Maybe a little Dawn and warm water?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

glad it worked out Smile
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I need to change the bulbs in the '78 (both beefy bulbs burned out on a recent trip-that was an adventure-I replaced with stuff from the FLAPS but just ordered new bulbs.) Maybe then I'll try washing them. With what? Maybe a little Dawn and warm water?

I used Ivory dish soap and hot water, and chased it with a couple good rinses with distilled water. Worked great.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning the inside of the headlight lens, how to Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

I used Ivory dish soap and hot water, and chased it with a couple good rinses with distilled water. Worked great.

Good deal-did you use anything else--strips of diaper or other cloth to swish around in there, or just the soap?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: