Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Bug Ckoke problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doonkoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: 1967 Bug Ckoke problem Reply with quote

Hello I have a 67 bug, i’ve been having a choke problem. I noticed it did not fast tilde and hard starting. Not so bad now as the weather is warm but sure to give problems when it is cold. I rotated the choke element until I got to choke plate to close, however I had a rotated to the point that the 12 V wire attached to the heater element would touch my air breather. I know that would only lead to trouble of shorting out down the road. It worked fine since I have the car for three years just started to decide not to work correctly anymore. So my question is it the choke element that needs to be replaced and is worn? I see they sell replacements for about $20 so I’m thinking that would be my problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Ckoke problem Reply with quote

doonkoon wrote:
Hello I have a 67 bug, i’ve been having a choke problem. I noticed it did not fast tilde and hard starting. Not so bad now as the weather is warm but sure to give problems when it is cold. I rotated the choke element until I got to choke plate to close, however I had a rotated to the point that the 12 V wire attached to the heater element would touch my air breather. I know that would only lead to trouble of shorting out down the road. It worked fine since I have the car for three years just started to decide not to work correctly anymore. So my question is it the choke element that needs to be replaced and is worn? I see they sell replacements for about $20 so I’m thinking that would be my problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you

the choke thermo element may be broken. remove the three screws holding it to the carb and remove it, the thermo element can be inspected then. the choke should only be lositioned within the adjustmemt marks on the carb body and choke element holder. you also must assure the choke goes fully open when warmed up.

so take a look, undo them three screws and take a look. note the correct reassembly procedure . also some carbs have a vacuum assist unit on the carb to suplement choke operation, it may be dinding if you have that, it if your carb has it, is next to choke element, held by another three scres, perpendicular to the choke screws, there is a flexable diaphram under its cover and a push rod, maybe that is binding

also note the choke shaft, throotle shaft, and accelerator pump linkage does need regular lubrication to ensure proper function and to reduce wear. a drop of oil is recommended, by the owners manual

when choke element assembly is removed, the choke shaft shohld rotate freely if sticky that too could cause the problem you discribe.

owners manuals can be found in the technical section tab near the top of the samba home page.

good luck, dont choke!!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Ckoke problem Reply with quote

The choke elements can stretch out over the years where you have to go past the three marks to put it full closed in winter time. It does sound like yours in broken.

As the other member suggested, check all the other aspects of the choke as well. If you find you need a new one, you may check out the classifieds on this site and find a good used one or NOS one. Like everything else today, the originals are much better than the new ones sold today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doonkoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Ckoke problem Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I’d did notice when ihole throttle open and move choke cam or lever it felt a little stiff. But when I rotated the choke as I said to the point that the terminal was almost touching air breather, it worked correctly and also opened correctly when warmed up. From high idle once warmed it dropped a little by itself as it always did. Thenthe longer it ran the more it opened and finally all the way open and normal idle. Those other 3 screws with vacuum assists it that the three in the triangle facing me when looking at carb? It is a Solex 30pic I believe original carb. So can I open that little triangle on the back of carb facing me and if so what am I looking to do?

Thanks
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Bug Ckoke problem Reply with quote

doonkoon wrote:
Thanks guys, I’d did notice when ihole throttle open and move choke cam or lever it felt a little stiff. But when I rotated the choke as I said to the point that the terminal was almost touching air breather, it worked correctly and also opened correctly when warmed up. From high idle once warmed it dropped a little by itself as it always did. Thenthe longer it ran the more it opened and finally all the way open and normal idle. Those other 3 screws with vacuum assists it that the three in the triangle facing me when looking at carb? It is a Solex 30pic I believe original carb. So can I open that little triangle on the back of carb facing me and if so what am I looking to do?

Thanks

yes what you discri ed, the triangle cover is the vacuum mechanism. make sure the the rod attached to the mechanism is not sticking. you shpuld also remkve the electric choke assembly at the same time, they need to interface when reassembled.

Suggest you obtain a service book for your Bug. most will detail how to work on the carb.

measure the float bowl fuel level, measure the injection quantity, etc... every now and then the varb needs to be rebuilt, you can by the rebuild kits that contain the gaskets, diaphrams and so forth.
but get a repair book the Bentely Book is the Official VW service manual, and you may find it very useful....

See link below...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: