Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I'm new to this forum but am quite active on the Vanagon forum here.

My Hobart Handler 140 lists aluminum but reading here it seems that at minimum, I need Argon shielding gas and a soft liner. (teflon, nylon). I just contacted Hobart. They do not sell a soft liner for the 140

Has anyone found a soft liner that fits this MIG gun/cable? Miller part?

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

.... another reply from Hobart suggested HTP as a possible source.

I see this from USAweld. Ad references to the Hobart 140 along with others:

http://www.usaweld.com/Aluminum-Welding-Kit-p/aluminumweldingkit.htm

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Have you called your local welding\gas place ? They usually are very helpful and if there is such a part have it or can get it for you. Also best to find one which represents your brand of welder.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Have you called your local welding\gas place ? They usually are very helpful and if there is such a part have it or can get it for you. Also best to find one which represents your brand of welder.

Yes. Just yesterday, spoke with a fellow at local hardware/etc. place. We spoke of the "push-pull" or spool gun options. And yes, he was quite helpful. From what I've read here and elsewhere, w/o a push-pull or spool gun, a MIG can be used for aluminum but even with a teflon/nylon liner, gun cable has to be straight, usually a thicker wire is used and of course theres the limits of a 110 VAC 140 Amp MIG in terms of metal gauge.

I realize this is a body/paint forum, so I appreciate list patience, but my plan is to fabricate an intake manifold. All things considered, I'm thinking I'll make it out of steel. (aluminized)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

The machine has to be 'Spool Gun' ready or there are conversions for them.

Your limitations are going to revolve around the power of your welder. A guess off the top of my head is that a 140 amp machine (if it's named by it's current max) is going to be 3/16ths of an inch and under. If you don't want limitations with welding Aluminum you have to break the 225 amp threshold.

You also need U Grooved Driver Rollers.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

It seems there are push-pull units that could be incorporated. But as you say, limited on thickness of work and yes, most likely 3/16".

If I ever delve into aluminum I think TIG will be the way to go. But then I'll have to convince the landlord to let me run new cable to the shop. Wink ..... I think. Anyhow.....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

I made a type O on the aluminum thickness. I meant to type 3/32 of an inch.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Thanks. No problem; I make edits on the samba all the time.

My mind has been focused on thickness/design of intake flange at head so had that thickness in mind.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Hobart sells a spool gun, in many cases they include it or give a discount on it with the 180-200 amp models, because I bet a lot of guys have the same idea you do, but it's mostly pie in the sky, they don't get used much. So maybe you can get a used one for cheap. the 180 and 140 probably use the same gun and cable, which is the same as miller. I "think" Mine are, but my stuff is older.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

thanks modok.

I may look into that option. Finding 1.25" exhaust pipe locally is proving futile. We'll see. Cost of setting up for aluminum in any way vs losing ~ 2" ground clearance by sticking with the stock intake..... Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Perhaps looking for aluminumized?
1.25 tubing is commonly used for bicycles and racecars.
to the thrift store!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

I'm guessing that you should be able to weld 3/16" as well as 3/32" aluminum with a proper 140 etc aluminum setup?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Here's Millers Welding AMP calculator.
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/weld-setting-calculators/mig-solid-core-welding-calculator

With their rules a 140 is enough but Welder Manufacturer's rate their products higher than what they can do. Is a Hobart 140 spool gun ready?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

the way I read it, their calculator says it won't work.
Look at the voltage. Not enough volts to reliably get into spray transfer.
There is a chart in the owners manual showing the amps/volts curves

It's same as my beloved 130xp miller, that's why I have it memorized
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Excellent point made Modok!

I researched this before I bought a TIG and the consensus was that you need 180 Amps+ to weld aluminum. If you start out with a modest MIG then you have to make a big jump up in equipment to have aluminum capabilities later on.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Interesting and helpful comments here. Thanks. At this point I've ruled out building a custom intake. Its clear I'll need to get into a 220 Volt TIG to do any decent work. Of course I could do all the fabricating then, with any luck, adapt my Hobart with a nylon sleeve, argon, etc tac the parts then get a weldor to finish it. Maybe.... At some point I need to weigh cost and time VS lost ground clearance due to OEM cross flow intake.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

With your current equipment I would only get the liner and see how much pre-heating helps. You can see if all the birdnesting stories are true. Laughing Some of the big MIG's have high open voltage and stub into the workpiece a lot less but still do it. I would set the drivewheel pressure so the wire barely feeds and definately use U grooves.

I have a Chinesse TIG which works fine but they are not concerned with service or parts after the sale.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

So the Trimix I currently have would suffice for tac welds eh? I could live with "being out" a roll of wire and new liner should that setup not work.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hobart 140 Teflon or Nylon Liner? Reply with quote

Some of this stuff is not experimented with because it is out of range with what is supposed to work.

Miller states that 'Short Circuit' transfer is not recommended which is what will happen if your voltage is too low. The wire will stub into the work and the feeder will birdnest. With Spray Transfer it does not repeatedly stub into the work. If the feeder slips and or the Stick Out gets too short the wire is said to get welded to the Tip.

The explanations of Constant Current and Constant Voltage welders are not complete so unless you look at a welder schematic it's hard to theorize on it. If the Open Voltage is higher than 'running voltage' it seems reasonable that the voltage does drop as current is increased like most other electrical devices. This would mean that if your current is maxed out the voltage will be way too low and it won't Spray Transfer.
I guess If I were to try it I would preheat ,have minimal driveroll tension and practice keeping the Stick Out as long as possible.

Here's a link on Stick Welding Aluminum

http://hildstrom.com/projects/stickaluminum/

Real men ,stick weld. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: