Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picked up a 78 Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Picked up this 78 Westy from a friend who had it parked in a campsite for the last several years. It's in pretty good shape, replaced the fuel lines, battery, distributor cap, wires, plugs and it fired right up and the fam and I went on a camping trip. I told them to expect to break down but we made it the 400 miles without incident.

I am starting to do a bit of body work and taking care of a few rusty spots to get it prepped to get painted. The wiring is a mess and I will start working on cleaning that up as well, there are a bunch of switches added I have no idea what or if they are connected to. Ordered some coil overs to try to bring the rear up a bit and new shocks for the front, new tires (those General Grabbers I've seen on here), new CV joints/boots, and a few seals. Hoping to keep it operable while I slowly improve upon its current state.

This is my first post so if I did anything wrong please feel free to berate me into compliance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Shocked wow 400+ miles on --not just a mystery motor, but a mystery everything-- not bad-- nice looking bus too.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba! Very Happy

The bus looks nice and dry but if it's lived in Texas, there ya go! Good on you for already getting out there and driving it. Hopefully Tcash will post his welcome with some good reminders too.

Make sure you check ALL the fuel lines in that bus and have a fire extinguisher on board. There is TONS of great information on this site to help you navigate putting your bus back in great condition.

Keep updating this thread with your progress too. We love pictures.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Return the coilovers, bad idea. They break the body of the bus at the shock mounts. They work, but you won’t like them most likely if they break the bus Wink

Awesome Bus, wax it don’t paint it. Paint looks find from here Wink

Look up the lift kit from wagers west, proper way to go up if you want to.

Fuel line, LED engine lights, the usual. You’ll hear a lot more I’m sure. Nice Bus!

Look up how to re index the rear torsion bars. New bushings and re index and just standard shocks will do wonders.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Good lookin westy, I like the untested travel!
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the coil overs Stuart, I’ll look into other solutions including what you mentioned to bring the rear up. We go on trips that require short stretches of decent clearance, nothing crazy but forest roads that may be rutted out a bit.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie, we even got it stuck in the mud and had to get pulled out! Pretty fun first trip with the wife and kiddo. I honestly expected to break down, but we were ahead of a few friends so I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how it ran, which was surprisingly good.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on the coil overs Stuart, I’ll look into other solutions including what you mentioned to bring the rear up. We go on trips that require short stretches of decent clearance, nothing crazy but forest roads that may be rutted out a bit.

I'd reindex the rear torsion bars first to see if that resolves your ride height in the rear. Several good threads on how to do it. If the rear torsion bar bushings haven't been changed, they need to be.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

If your CVs aren't making noise, return the ordered ones and just clean and lubricate yours...and put new boots on.

The stuff that came from Germany is far superior to aftermarket

How many miles on the beast??

Cue the tcash post

Cue the Bears....

(Our initiation ritual)

Very Happy
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Return the coilovers, bad idea. They break the body of the bus at the shock mounts. They work, but you won’t like them most likely if they break the bus Wink

Awesome Bus, wax it don’t paint it. Paint looks find from here Wink

Look up the lift kit from wagers west, proper way to go up if you want to.

Fuel line, LED engine lights, the usual. You’ll hear a lot more I’m sure. Nice Bus!

Look up how to re index the rear torsion bars. New bushings and re index and just standard shocks will do wonders.

This is what can happen, if the rear upper shock mount is not reinforced.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685886&highlight=shock+mount

Best to adjust the rear spring plates.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121703

Good luck
Tcash
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

I've run coil overs for years w/o issue. Just drive it sanely without overloading and you will be fine. The torn upper shock mounts come from abuse or fatigue after many,many miles.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Fair point Abscate, I figured if I was removing the boot to replace that I might as well replace the joint, but you are probably right. I planned on inspecting them, so if they are in good shape I will just clean up and grease them up.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
Fair point Abscate, I figured if I was removing the boot to replace that I might as well replace the joint, but you are probably right. I planned on inspecting them, so if they are in good shape I will just clean up and grease them up.

Abscate is right on point. Sadly, a lot of the original VW parts are miles ahead in quality than what's sold "new" today. My 67 bug has 160kish miles on it. It's running all it's original tie rods that have zero play and no leaking grease boots.

If a parts bad and worn it, it needs to be replaced. However, many parts are not and only need to be cleaned up and serviced and have thousands and thousands of miles left on them.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I've run coil overs for years w/o issue. Just drive it sanely without overloading and you will be fine. The torn upper shock mounts come from abuse or fatigue after many,many miles.
Ditto. I've run coil overs for at least 20 years. They are now worn out and I am going to replace them with air shocks. I'll report back and fall on my sword if and when I break a shock mount.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:

Look up how to re index the rear torsion bars. New bushings and re index and just standard shocks will do wonders. Pretty easy to do to!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

So I am looking into doing the torsion bar reindex, my question is, should I be taking the angle with the the weight of the vehicle on the suspension or free and hanging? I went through a few write ups, but for whatever reason I can't see all the images so I am trying to imagine it.

Edit: Manual says "spring plates unloaded" FYI

Last edited by championbaum on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

Man, I love me them bears... Laughing

Link

Abscate wrote:
If your CVs aren't making noise, return the ordered ones and just clean and lubricate yours...and put new boots on.

Cue the tcash post

Cue the Bears....

(Our initiation ritual)

Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
So I am looking into doing the torsion bar reindex, my question is, should I be taking the angle with the the weight of the vehicle on the suspension or free and hanging? I went through a few write ups, but for whatever reason I can't see all the images so I am trying to imagine it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399837&highlight=torsion+bar

This thread covers it well. You want your bus to be level front to back and side to side with it up on four jack stands. When you disconnect the torsion plate, you lift it off the ledge with a jack. It's under a lot of tension so be careful. When you pull it off the ledge and lower it so it's not under tension, measure the angle. Again, the bus needs to be level front to back and side to side.

championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Picked up a 78 Westy Reply with quote

[quote="danfromsyr"]Man, I love me them bears... Laughing

Link

Abscate wrote:

Cue the tcash post

Cue the Bears....

(Our initiation ritual)

Very Happy
[/quote

I saw those Bears on another thread and sent them to my wife.

Thanks for that link.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: