Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase<
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >ready to purchase< Reply with quote

Thought I’d share my stove top hack.

Last weekend we had an ‘incident’ resulting the wanton distribution of fresh first-pot-of-the day coffee.
Shocked

The solution was for me to unleash my super power and create these creatures of beauty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I’m aware that no one here knows me yet, please put on your exaggeration and hyperbole hat when you read this.

I don’t actually think I have super powers, except turning money into hair brained ideas.
The idea for these wasn’t mine but I made these ones out of billet aluminum.

Going to check my wheel bearings now.
Peace out.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi

Last edited by 9.5isCanadian on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

Very nice!

I don’t think you can be a VW nut w/o a little exaggeration and hyperbole thrown in. Plus if you’ve got the superpower to “actually do something” (my struggle) your golden Cool

Looking forward to the next adventure...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

Very nice. Frank Condelli used to sell something like this. I have them and they really are great. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

Awesome!!
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Very nice. Frank Condelli used to sell something like this. I have them and they really are great. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Awesome!!

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Very nice!...

Thanks guys,
I’ve seen Franks, they appear to bet 16g galvaneel. I’m a billet aluminum guy. Thinking I’d love to make me another set out of bronze or brass. Super expensive material though.

My brother in law wants a set too, so looks like I’ll be making a few more yet.

My wheel bearings were good btw......
The noise that made me suspect the bearing turned out to be a wheel weight that fell off and go stuck between the backing dust plate and the rotor.
Squeak squeak squeak.....
Gotta love the easy fixes.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

Your brother in law is a genius and appreciates your super powers and amazingness.

While you are recognizing his talent and brilliance, make me a set.

Mike
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

Nice!

Where and when do I send the $$?
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. Reply with quote

Mike Robinson wrote:
Your brother in law is a genius and appreciates your super powers and amazingness.

While you are recognizing his talent and brilliance, make me a set.

Mike

theadventureneverends wrote:
Nice!

Where and when do I send the $$?

Thanks guys, for sure I could make a few of these. I've been a production machinist for many moons so doing a 'run' is not new to me. I've checked with the mods and it seems I am allowed to offer these for sale if there was enough interest.

I can ask for expressions of interest in this thread but if/when it comes to an actual offering for sale, I'd have to post a classified ad separate, which I'm sure you all know already.......... I'm the new guy here. Rolling Eyes

Speaking of which, so I've been a long time Ebay user with an excellent rating, for sure check me out if you want. Also a long time member of the Adventure Rider forum, buying and selling.
Been a machinist since 89 started making race bike parts to pay for my addiction around 2000 ( triple clamps, pegs, fork braces, damper mounts, rear sets etc etc) spent a few years building motors, search and rescue parts, bell helicopter parts, and smattering of Boeing gee gaws.
Please don't take any of this as boasting, its simply to express my ability to build what is a pretty simple part should anyone want a set.

I'd like to make them a little thicker than the set I've shown above and figure out a way to eliminate any rattling.
Feel free to offer any suggestions, or ideas.

Now back to your regular programming.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

I've had the ones from Frank Condelli for 10 years or so. They don't rattle but they did warp from heat.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
I've had the ones from Frank Condelli for 10 years or so. They don't rattle but they did warp from heat.

Being made from thinner stock would be why they warped. That's why I want to make mine thicker, closer to .200"

I was thinking a set screw on the back side would keep mine from rattling.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

Mine warped initially but I bent them back and they stayed that way. The initial run of heat does warp them but then they take a set and stay where they are after that in my experience. I do like the ones in this topic too.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

I'll take one, just the way it is. Very Happy

Currently using a lightweight, universal version that kind of matches the stove grate. I simply stash it between two pot holders when on the road, which also act as my stove lid anti-rattle device.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GusGusdasWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

Howdy -
These look pretty sweet! If you make them in the thicker metal, I'd be in for a set as well!

"Augustiner" our '86 Westfalia, 2.5L Subi, Auto
Previous autos:
'00 Jetta VR6, '97 Golf Trek, '85 GTI, '84 GTI and a '72 Superbeetle
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

I'd be in for a set as well as long as the pricing is reasonable.

What is your screen name on ADVrider?
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

Very cool indeed. Since I have thought about making some, here's a couple Q's:

What holds these in place on the grill without sliding? Maybe your set screw? Also maybe I'm overthinking it, but to me the width of the material could/should be reduced maybe by 25% or so, to help reduce the blockage from the flame. Maybe doing this would require the thickness to increase? Hmmmm.

Craig
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

If you sell this, VW of NA will probably soon be knocking upon your door.

The are rabid about "protecting" their personal property.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If you sell this, VW of NA will probably soon be knocking upon your door.

The are rabid about "protecting" their personal property.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up Dave but, any search on The Google reveals hundreds of different types of VW merch.
eBay alone is littered with this stuff.
No way in hell its all “authorized merch.”
Besides I doubt VW is going to give a rats butt about a guy selling, what 8 or 10, $30 items?

Seriously just ask any local CNC shop what hourly rate is for custom work. $100/hour + material is my base rate. I’m already into these things for 3 hours. So sure as shit I ain’t doing this for the money. I make money at work. This stuff allows me to do a trade I truly love for the fun of it.

Honestly I’m happy to do it for people that truly appreciate a custom gee gaw that their bros won’t have.
Something they’re going to show off and say “Yo, check this shit out.”
Cool

I better not post a picture of the emblem hanging from my rear view. Shocked
Ha ha

Anyway, I’m doing a rework and will post pictures next week.
Stay tuned.
Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

Owen count me in on the first run. I enjoy where you are coming from. Dave is not being hyper. Volks Cafe had to change their name to Van Cafe. Type, who started VW, into Google. They haven't changed much over the years. Like I said I want in on the first run.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

If you search back, many are the horror stories of strong action inflicted by VW upon Air Cooled enthusiasts.
For Profits, not for profits, businesses and clubs have seen letters from VW's lawyers.

Thats why those who want in, want in on the first and possibly the final run.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Mighty Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My coffee pot tips over! The horror. >any interest to purchase< Reply with quote

In for sure!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: