Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I’ve got a problem with my air cooled VW sandrail carb.
Whenever I punch the throttle, it accelerates normally, but when I let off, it’s like it’s on fast idle and I have to blip the throttle to get it back to normal idle.
I had an old time VW mechanic work on it a few years ago, and I remember him saying he swapped out the carb for a rebuilt one. I think it started doing this after the carb swap. I haven’t gotten to drive it much since due to other projects and wiring issues and I just recently occurred to me that the original carb may have been modded for off-road use?
It appears that possibly the fast idle cam is dropping into play when the throttle is punched, and that keeps the RPMs up when my foot is removed from the throttle.
Do most people remove the choke/fast idle cam on these carbs for off-road use?
I redid the throttle cable because I thought it might be the issue, but that didn’t help.
Thanks in advance!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Got good return spring...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
The carb throttle has double springs to ensure the throttle cable is returning fully.
I’ve been thinking of drilling a small hole in the fast idle/choke cam and putting a spring on it to keep it from dropping into the fast idle position.
Maybe the choke control isn’t working correctly.
I also thought maybe it was common to remove the cam all together to avoid this issue?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

So punch it and go back and look to see whats causing it to hang up. If its the fast idle cam you should be able to adjust the choke to keep it open more. Its also VERY possible that your ignition advance is hanging up. Will cause the sam kind of problem if it eventually comes back down on its own. Most folks forget that there is a little felt tab under the rotor that is supposed to get a couple drops of oil on it periodically. If you are running in sand or dirt, you just might have crap on the advance as well - seal up the distributor.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

My carburetor was sticking and I found the throttle arm was hitting the manifold.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bent the arm straight and shaved off the barrel nut a bit. Now it's a lot smoother.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and pictures so far.
I’ll check out my carb and see if I can rule out each solution or if you’ve identified my problem.
Rob at Rob and Dave’s suggested I check to see if my choke was properly connected or if possibly it was floating Free, allowing the choke cam to swing under the idle screw, causing the fast idle after accelerating.
The people here are a wonderful resource and very helpful to fellow VW enthusiasts.
Thanks!!
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

First pic should be how I found the carb choke cam today.
Second pic is the corrected position.... I hope.

Evidently, Somehow the cam got rotated 180 degrees and that was causing issues. There is probably an issue with the choke/linkage too.

I need to get a good battery and get it started again to see if this solves the original problem.

Opinions? Is it worth repairing the choke on a sandrail or just remove altogether?
Thanks!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

There is supposed to be a pin in the carb body that goes through that slot in the cam to keep it from rotating that far.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense!
The picture really helps me. I see where the Roll pin should be.
Thanks Q-Dog!
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Bub II wrote:

Two springs intermingled like that will fight each other as the coils try to mesh. Determine the spring force of each and order a spring with the correct length and the total spring force from Lee Springs. leesprings.com
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

2 return springs are a GOOD thing. In case one breaks, there is another to prevent stuck throttle syndrome. 2 is required for offroad race cars.

However... The 2 springs need to NOT interfere with each other.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I've seen a smaller diameter spring inside a larger diameter... would this pass? I think it's common on circle track, not saying they are always right. Shocked

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
I've seen a smaller diameter spring inside a larger diameter... would this pass? I think it's common on circle track, not saying they are always right. Shocked

My question is why you need dual springs... Yes I have dual springs on my dual carb setup, one at each carb so I get positive closure, but even combined my springs are less than your dual springs.... All a spring had to do is positively close carb.... If carb springs have to be heavy, then there is a problem somewhere in system between gas pedal and carb.... Besides more springs on carbs just makes right leg hurt more (because it has to overcome constant push back from spring)...

THis setup was on autocross car I used to have, but it's also same as current configuration on may dual carbed street buggy... But there is a lot more going on with this linkages than your single carb...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I'm using the stock return spring on the throttle body of my EJ25 and it works great, I was simply asking if the spring in a spring setup would be accepted in Dusty's tech check. Wink

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
I'm using the stock return spring on the throttle body of my EJ25 and it works great, I was simply asking if the spring in a spring setup would be accepted in Dusty's tech check. Wink

Ok... Now I understand...

Dale

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Here's a post in another forum (google search) that shows what I'm talking about: http://www.camaros.net/forums/18-engine/169906-dual-throttle-return-spring.html

Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
2 return springs are a GOOD thing. In case one breaks, there is another to prevent stuck throttle syndrome. 2 is required for offroad race cars.

However... The 2 springs need to NOT interfere with each other.

To expand on this, from a product design standpoint allowing springs to intermingle like that is not a good practice. It causes increased metal fatigue by not allowing some of the coils to return to their resting state. Secondly, it reduces the amount of return because of the coils intertwining. Thirdly, the return length and force are never consistent because of the randomness of the coils intermingling.

Ideal would be one in the other as PullStart mentioned or fabricate a bracket that would allow them to cycle side-by-side without interference.
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

In my case, I doubled the spring trying to stop my issue with the carb not returning to normal after acceleration. It doesn’t appear to be intermingling or binding, but now that I’ve fixed the real problem, I’ll be removing one of them.
Turns out, the Roll pin that goes through the slot in the fast idle cam on my carb is either broken or missing allowing the cam to rotate 180 degrees and blocking the throttle from returning to normal idle.
I swapped batteries today and started the engine. At this point I figured out my choke element is evidently bad also.
Anyway, I let it warm up until it would idle, then blipped the throttle several times and each time it returned to normal idle as it should.
Now I need to decide whether to replace the carb or just the choke element and try to get the broken roll pin out of the carb body?
Thanks to every one who gave ideas and suggestions.
Something so simple as a missing Roll pin and a bad choke element caused a lot of grief.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I have discovered that between my rail and my Baja that a little bit of cable slack is required or what you observe is going to be the result.

I know the tendency is to adjust the throttle cable to zero slack. But I’ve had terrible luck in doing so
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
I have discovered that between my rail and my Baja that a little bit of cable slack is required or what you observe is going to be the result.

I know the tendency is to adjust the throttle cable to zero slack. But I’ve had terrible luck in doing so

The procedure I follow is to have throttle pedal to the floor (on the stop)..... Hold carb open to WOT and set the cable (zero slack) ... If I back off the throttle pedal and there is slack in cable, and throttle plate is closed, good enough.... IF the throttle plate in carb does not close I look for a way to change the geometry of linkage so WOT at pedal is WOT at carb, and when off the pedal there is slack... Setting cable to tight at idle may cause excessive bind on carb throttle plate/linkage at WOT...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: