Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1953 Zwitter?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

After being saved by the very kind and knowledgeable folks in this forum in what would have been a very bad purchase I have been further reading and looking and it seems I have stumbled on to another potential subject. I know the steering wheel is non-original but current owner does have the right one for this car as it is currently being restored. The front windows do appear to be the correct ones and as far as I can tell the engine (1100cc?)seems to be the original too. I will have to request the certificate from VW to authenticate all the numbers on the plates depending on your input.

I would like to get your input as I do value the advice of those that have a keen eye for details and much more expertise under their belts. I thank you in advance for your time and valuable input:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

looks like a nice car. A couple things i can point out:
1. the rear apron is not original so it's been replaced with what looks to be an aftermarket one not the correct each tile so it's had either a fender bender in the rare or something worse I would ask the owner if he knows of any accident history.
2. The taillights look correct being the heart style but they look a little higher on the fenders so possibly the rear fenders have been replaced and are not original ones for some reason somebody moved the lights.
that's all I noticed at the moment. it has the correct aluminum zwitter trim on the rear windows, bumpers look correct, the engine has some funky paint on it and some incorrect parts such as distributor etc.;
steering will IS correct for the car.
see if you can send us some pictures from under the hood?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Also it's a little hard to tell from the photos, but it does appear that the hood emblem on the top doesn't look right. it looks a little thicker like a later style and the hood also looks like it might have a "raised" area indicating a later hood, but again I can't see well enough to say if this is the case am I have the wrong hood.
good pictures from under the hood will tell a lot more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Door and side windows look like the '65 and later taller kind, so immediate suspect of a "cut in" rear window and dash. But the the easy question is, what is the body number stamped in the front inner tire well?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses and insight. Lots of useful info. I am attaching more pics. I apologize for the poor picture quality as I extracted them from a video the owner sent me. I can request additional pictures tomorrow. Thanks again.

oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Door and side windows look like the '65 and later taller kind, so immediate suspect of a "cut in" rear window and dash. But the the easy question is, what is the body number stamped in the front inner tire well?

John, I will definitely ask about it tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the heads up.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

hmm. interesting what JH said about side windows. In one picture it definitely looks like later but in another photo it doesn't. I dont think its s later car faked as a zwitter. it also has double lipped doors so they can I possibly be 65 doors. definitely can see in the new pictures that the hood is definitely later with late-model springs. if it's a fake to car they would've had to do a lot of reconstruction....
It does have a zwitter fuel tank. (but i know that doesnt prove anything) Definitely some fishy stuff, so like John said, The body # Stamp behind the spare tire will tell us everything.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

if these are photos you're taking from a video is there any footage that shows between the seats so we can verify if it has a heater knob behind the E brake handle.....
also correct me if I'm wrong but in the first photo she posted it showed there was no radio and I had a block off plate but the later for a show there some kind of radio mounted under the hood??

Last edited by Telephunken on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

hmm. interesting what JH said about side windows. In one picture it definitely looks like later but in another photo it doesn't. I dont think its s later car faked as a zwitter. it also has double lipped doors so they can I possibly be 65 doors. definitely can see in the new pictures that the hood is definitely later with late-model springs. if it's a fake to car they would've had to do a lot of reconstruction....
It does have a zwitter fuel tank. (but i know that doesnt prove anything) Definitely some fishy stuff, so like John said, The body # Stamp behind the spare tire will tell us everything.

Well on to get the info on that stamp it is.

Am I looking for a stamp like this as seen in the FAQ? This one below is an example not the actual on the car. sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by oldscooldude on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
if these are photos you're taking from a video is there any footage that shows between the seats so we can verify if it has a heater knob behind the E brake handle.....
also correct me if I'm wrong but in the first photo she posted it showed there was no radio and I had a block off plate but the later for a show there some kind of radio mounted under the hood??

Pictures are very crappy. In the video the shot starts on the right with the relays then top right (driver side) and then slowly moves leftward in the bay until the radio comes to view and then moves to the right again.

Now that I remember there may be something in between the seats. Let me check.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Rear engine tin is not a 36hp either it seams. Sorry if someone pointed that out and I missed it.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

The picture you show is the generator stamp on the motor what John and I are talking about is the body stamp; it's behind the spare tire under the hood below the VIN plate, it looks like this....
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

PS. "8M" is august 57' so there's a good chance that that engine is later 36hp....
oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
The picture you show is the generator stamp on the motor what John and I are talking about is the body stamp; it's behind the spare tire under the hood below the VIN plate, it looks like this....

Got it! Thank you. I will be sure I get a pic of it tomorrow. Uploading pics in between seats although it was a fast glance.
oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

oldscooldude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
PS. "8M" is august 57' so there's a good chance that that engine is later 36hp....

Sorry for the confusion that pic is from the FAQ not the one on the actual car. I was just going through the FAQ earlier and reading up on components too.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

although the picture is blurry, definitely looks like a zwitter heater knob between the seats...
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Something hooky going on here. The first pictures show the correct batwing steering wheel and no radio. The leter set show an incorrect later wheel and now there's a radio fitted!!?? Are these pictures all from the same car?
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

If it is a zwitter, it is going to take a lot to make it correct. Tail light hight, hood, hood emblem, most likely hood handle, interior. Can't tell from pics , but what is the placement of the hood release handle? Is it far to the left? or in where it's easier to pull through steering wheel?
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 Zwitter? Reply with quote

Spring supported hood??? that doesnt seem right.

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: