Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

Here erb shows you how to replace the fuel sending unit without hacking a hole into your very rare kombi bus

It all started with "shit the fuel gauge stopped working!"
part 1

Link

part 2

Link

MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

Wish my PO had seen that. I have a hacked hole that looks like he used a rusty butter knife to make.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

I'll give a beer to the first person who watches all 3 hours non-stop

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I'll give a beer to the first person who watches all 3 hours non-stop

It certainly won't be me. I clicked on the video and saw how long it was and moved on.

I don't consider a hole in the rear deck a hack, especially since VW recommended doing it and it is totally concealed by the carpet. Not only does the hole allow you to quickly change out the sender but you can visually check the tank for foreign objects and water.

On my present transporter, I cut the hole when I was first getting the rig road worthy and needed to change out the sender. A year later the sender failed again and this time the replacement took only minutes to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

It is worth watching grab some popcorn and go for it..

I guess the hole is only important depending on how rare your bus is maybe..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

has nothing to do with how rare anything is, it's how clean the hole is done. look close...you can hardly see the access panel

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

From my perspective,
I really like the bus and spent much time trying to keep from adding anything but stock holes to this bus..

If it was a barndoor would you cut a whole into it to access the gas tank too?
I have cut the hole into the top to to fix a late model bus quickly however
cutting a access hole into it is not the way it says in the manual.. and if you have the time the correct way is better i'd say.. no extra holes.. that need to be welded and fixed..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
From my perspective,
I really like the bus and spent much time trying to keep from adding anything but stock holes to this bus..

1) a barndoor tank is filled by opening the engine hatch
2) I would Subaru the fuck out of a barndoor.

it's just a car....they made millions of. enjoy it as you see fit. but I will tell you this, when your china sender takes a shit and you are doing this once a month, you too will pull the sawzall out

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
From my perspective,

I have cut the hole into the top to to fix a late model bus quickly however
cutting a access hole into it is not the way it says in the manual.. and if you have the time the correct way is better i'd say.. no extra holes.. that need to be welded and fixed..

SGKent wrote:

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

but I will tell you this, when your china sender takes a shit and you are doing this once a month, you too will pull the sawzall out

I was curious about this so I poked around looking to see if the VDO fuel senders were still available for 70' buses. Bus Depot use to sell them. I couldn't find anything other than obvious Chinese copies. I couldn't find anyone selling the VDO ones that were identical to the VDO German made ones back in the day. We're screwed..

I bought a VDO (Brazilian made) sender for my bus 3 years ago. So far, no issues and I didn't install an access hatch. If this VDO Brazilian sender shits the bed, I'll also reach for a sawzall..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I couldn't find anyone selling the VDO ones that were identical to the VDO German made ones back in the day. We're screwed..

I bought a VDO (Brazilian made) sender for my bus 3 years ago. So far, no issues and I didn't install an access hatch. If this VDO Brazilian sender shits the bed, I'll also reach for a sawzall..

Put down the sawzall Bill Shocked Telfords got you covered Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

I like Skills plate. almost invisible. that has to be a donor piece out of another bus?
I would really love to get my hands on the VW plate pictured above. Was that plate used in any other VWs, or stamped out just for the bus fix?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
I couldn't find anyone selling the VDO ones that were identical to the VDO German made ones back in the day. We're screwed..

I've seen that wonderful thread and repair. The issue is getting to the sender again if need be! Laughing

I'd so pull this bitch out and go for it! Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
I like Skills plate. almost invisible. that has to be a donor piece out of another bus?
I would really love to get my hands on the VW plate pictured above. Was that plate used in any other VWs, or stamped out just for the bus fix?

Type 4 cars had a variety of plates under the carpets, don't know about other VW vehicles. That said, a larger hole than VW recommends makes accessing the sender easier. I like making the hole using a 1" +/- hole saw to cut rounded corners and then a reciprocating saw to make straight lines connecting the corners. The straight sides of the cut give better purchase when trying to twist the sender out with a screwdriver or bar.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

donor bus is what I made my plate from

on my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8598245#8598245

you can see how badly it was done...and way off center too. as WT points out, it's still too small, but in my case it was done so badly, you *may* be able to do it with that plate, but you would have to cut it about to the edge of the thing.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I just ran that procedure on a Type 3 with a corroded fuel sender but only 32,000 original miles on the clock. It was the first time the owner had ever seen the gauge work, and it is dead nuts accurate now.

My problem is, the floats of the new Chinese senders sink after a year in fuel. So no amount of soldering will improve my situation. Sawzall comes out sometime soon, I suppose.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

This is the piece of shit chinafied sender I received..(notice the internal wire dangling with it's dick in the wind)
My replacement gave up the ghost a year later..damn garbage
Now I just use my my mileage as as my fuel gauge until I get around to rebuilding my OG sending unit
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

fes wrote:
.... until I get around to rebuilding my OG sending unit

Do it!, it's the last sender you'll ever need.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I just ran that procedure on a Type 3 with a corroded fuel sender but only 32,000 original miles on the clock. It was the first time the owner had ever seen the gauge work, and it is dead nuts accurate now.

My problem is, the floats of the new Chinese senders sink after a year in fuel. So no amount of soldering will improve my situation. Sawzall comes out sometime soon, I suppose.

Robbie

Maybe it's time to start checking for some original German VDO senders at the swaps. Refurbish them for a spare or two.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace your fuel sending unit in your baywindow bus Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Maybe it's time to start checking for some original German VDO senders at the swaps. Refurbish them for a spare or two.

don't bother

if they haven't had the float pinned, the wire will be trashed. ask me how I know Confused

unless you want to gamble...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: