Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Let's just say that I am intimately acquianted with the areas shown in your photos.

My resto is finished (so far as that is ever complete) as you know, but now, every time I look at the car, or under it, or anywhere inside, I see something that my own hands have touched, cleaned, cured, painted and respected. Down to the tiniest nuts and bolts in places no one else will ever see.

You are heading to the same place, and I take my hat off to you for your attention to detail. Our Ghias deserve no less and you will have the lasting satisfaction of a job well done.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone knows what type of steering wheel this is?

From what I see it has no markings on it....picked it up from a swap meet a few years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Not sure, but it is pretty.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

That looks like the "official" optional VW accessory optional steering wheel as pictured here in the 1974 model year VW Thing Sales Brochure ...

It was no doubt offered in other years and other model sales brochures as well, but when I searched through the Archives here on The Samba just now the Thing brochure was the first one I found that featured an image of it.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Taking a closer look at that brochure, it appears that steering wheel only has 3 holes on each spoke.

I'm having trouble finding any stamping anywhere on the wheel to give some type of hint.
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Check out this ad. Looks like yours kind of sort of.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1631543

Vintage FIV Italian Wood Wolfsburg Steering Wheel - this one has FIV stamped into one of the 3 spokes.

I just typed wheel in the search bar in the general parts classified section.

Cool looking steering wheel either way.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

I agree whatever it might be, it goes well with the car and you could say it looks "wheel" good!

......I'll see myself out as it is too early for beer here in Colorado.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Looks great!! Where abouts in Colorado? I grew up in the Springs.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Denver, actually, I can't lie...I'm out here in Aurora right now.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

I lived in Aurora when I was little. The suburbs aren't so suburbs anymore.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Must have missed it, didn't see the previous page with all the great new paint pictures. That color is amazing. Can't wait to see more progress.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Any updates?
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

I've actually been trying to build a shelf for the air ride management....pretty happy how it's turning out so far.

I had to extend some of the wires, so they could go through the false floor

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Accuair... Nice. Was hoping to use that control system too, but have since gone a different direction for now. I have the through rods and Monroe air shocks for the front, but until I can afford 4 corner control, went back to stockish. Still have 2" narrowed adjustable beam. Will be picking your brain soon.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

I'm kind of excited since most of this stuff has been in a box or floating around the garage for a couple of years.

I'm just waiting on two other bulkhead fittings and I can complete the false floor for now until I get another tank and compressor.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

I'm visualizing the other tank and pump. Very cool setup. Please, for a guy who wants to go the same route, explain the wiring. Their system is very modular, can I buy the basics and add other items later? Will you be using the 4 corner e-leveling? If so, have you thought about where to install the sensors?
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

I'll snap a picture of the underside of the shelf later on today, but the wiring isn't that bad actually and everything is labeled. You are correct that most of the components are modular with it being plug and play.

I ended up going with the switchspeed ECU instead of the E-leveling since there won't be that much benefit. The switchspeed still has 3 level settings that once configured, you won't have to keep messing with it, and that too is plug and play into the VU4 manifold. On top of that I also bought a Bagriders' Touchbox unit that creates a wifi hotspot and will be able to control the system from my phone.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Finished bending the rest of the copper pipes for the air ride

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

That looks great!

Got my finger on the trigger for a used E-Level setup with rocker switch for $700. Comes with the 4 corner solenoid and wireless (not accuair) key fob.
rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ryan's 1970 Ghia Coupe Restomod Reply with quote

Got the wiring figured out for now....until I can get a couple of real distribution blocks, and was able to test fit it in the car.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: