Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's getting an iPhone X besides me?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Yep.... My friendly FedEx driver should be delivering my new family member this Friday. It's been several years since I got a new iPhone so I figured what the hell. Cost? $1269 delivered for the 256GB model. Yikes! I know but my feeling is that it's a computer 80% of the time and a phone maybe 20%. Now it's also a computer controlled camera so I'm justifying the price that way.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

probably a million other suckers with money to burn! Laughing
What are they, like, a thousand dollars now? For a phone? i can't believe anyone buys these new...
Didn't that chode Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) say we should stop buying phones and start buying health insurance? Words to live by.....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I'm happy with my 3 year old Motorola (Android). I still makes great calls.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I'm not but TREAT YO SELF

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Didn't that chode Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) say we should stop buying phones and start buying health insurance? Words to live by.....

When health insurance costs $1269 for 3-4 years, sure. Smile

Here's a story I found that talks about it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/0...right-way/
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Do let us know how it pans out for you.
I still don't text nor have a smart phone.
One must be careful when they Insta book chat google tweet face snap gram

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I find myself using my miniature computer I can carry on my belt (iPhone) more and more and my desktop computer less and less. The paradigm is that a cell phone should be almost free. The fact is that these devices have become much more than phones. Like desktop computers, if you chose to not enter the computer age back in the 1990's you'd be very limited by that today. Likewise, if you chose to stay with a flip phone only, you've also limited yourself.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I'm not, I'll nurse mine along for as long as I can.

I do agree though that my Phone is WAY more than simply a phone.

It is my "walkie talkie" to communicate with co-workers, my note pad, my magnifying glass, camera, flash light, timer, watch, alarm clock, navigation device, memory jogger, weather channel, repair manual, etc, etc, etc.

Oh..... I can make phone calls too!

Is it worth $1,000 ?? I must admit that I bristle at that price point.

Honestly though, even the new non apple smart phones are expensive!

At which point is technology too expensive?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

At which point is technology too expensive?

I bought my first computer in 1992. It cost me $2000 plus another $500 for a color inkjet HP printer. How much would that $2500 be in 2017 dollars? A lot. I remember my brother bought his first VHS player back in the early 1980's for $1200.

The fact is that we've gotten used to spending $400 for a laptop and $30 for a DVD player.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Ah Gary, good for you. We have iPhone 6S phones that are only a year or so old. They replaced our 4S phones that were 5-ish years old. That switch was caused by failing batteries. We don't generally change except when forced to do so.
And as holders of a share or three of Apple stock we thank you for your support.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Ah Gary, good for you. We have iPhone 6S phones that are only a year or so old. They replaced our 4S phones that were 5-ish years old. That switch was caused by failing batteries. We don't generally change except when forced to do so.
And as holders of a share or three of Apple stock we thank you for your support.

Good for you Larry. Apple stock split a couple years back and dropped down to something like $90. Today it's up to around $168 or so. I hope you bought back around 1996 when it was around $2 and they almost went broke before Steve Jobs returned to the company.

As far as batteries go I buy replacements for about $10 on eBay and crack the case myself. Just did this to my iPhone 6 a couple months ago. I change screens too. There are plenty of "how to" videos on Youtube.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I've been saying for a year that I would get a new phone, but my 5s just keeps going and does almost everything that I need. And the damn things keep getting bigger. About all I can't do with my current phone is contactless payments.

I wish they made something smaller. I'll probably pick up an SE for my next device, unless Apple comes out with a flip phone.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I have a 6s and am thinking about upgrading to an 8... don't really want to (I'm not into getting a new phone every year), but this 11 GB of storage is killing me. 5GB of the 11 is texts (group chats) so then I only get 6GB. Using the phone as a camera sucks. I get about 25 photos and a video before I have to back it up to my laptop. Think I'm just gonna go for the IPhone 8 256GB and be done for a good 5 years.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

A few years ago I joked that I was holding out for the iPhone 10. This was back in the iPhone 1 or 2 days.

Right now I'm rocking a LG 329G something or other. It's still going pretty strong.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Good For You Sir! Please let us know how it works out foe you. Maybe that's one of the reasons us peasants are holding back.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

The phone you're getting Gary looks amazing but I too gasp at the price of it. I prefer the Samsung Galaxy's. It is quite amazing how expensive these phones are becoming.

The big question is what is Apple's cost to make each phone? Some suggest less than $200 with R&D and development factored in. That's a healthy margin which is why their stock is so high. As well as Apple has done the last decade, it's too bad they couldn't bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the USA. Of course the shareholders would of melted down as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Still using my 6s.. I use it mainly as a computer and a camera, not a phone. But I’m actually thinking of a 7 because on Black Friday they will be on sale at 1.00 with a contract.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I'm still concerned that since it's border less, that the little "pod" that has the speaker and camera on the front will cut into photos and videos.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

$1200 bucks? Does it come with a motorcycle?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I still miss my bagphone. Crying or Very sad
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I still miss my bagphone. Crying or Very sad

Laughing Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: