Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's getting an iPhone X besides me?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

My buddy is an Apple addict. Iphone, Ipads, Mac computers. The one advantage to sticking with the same platform is their connectivity to each other. I see that as an advantage.

While I recently bought a Macbook air due to having zero luck with windows based laptops, I still struggle with Apple's pricing model. Sure, their shareholders love them. However, I think they could be a corporate role model and bring some of the manufacturing of their products back to the USA. It's not like their not a cash flush company keeping BILLIONS of dollars in profit offshore to avoid the US corporate tax.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
My buddy is an Apple addict. Iphone, Ipads, Mac computers. The one advantage to sticking with the same platform is their connectivity to each other. I see that as an advantage.

While I recently bought a Macbook air due to having zero luck with windows based laptops, I still struggle with Apple's pricing model. Sure, their shareholders love them. However, I think they could be a corporate role model and bring some of the manufacturing of their products back to the USA. It's not like their not a cash flush company keeping BILLIONS of dollars in profit offshore to avoid the US corporate tax.

Apple is lowest-common-denominator basic-bitch shit in the world of computing. That's why they do so well, most people are idiots, we all know this. I am not calling anyone on this thread an idiot for owning Apple products mind you (I do), but that's the way it is. Their products are incredibly easy to use, they focus on an easy user experience, an intuitive operation of their products. Then, they make everything proprietary and anything and everything costs extra. Oh you want an AM/FM receiver on your phone, that's extra, oh you want an external DVD drive for your computer, that's extra, and proprietary, you MUST buy an Apple. Oh you have a problem with your device? Go to the genius bar. Its difficult to even get into the programming of their desktops to fix shit if you don't know what your doing.
No company/data farm/systems mgmt company uses Apple products. I don't even think there is such a thing as an Apple server. Maybe there is, just never heard of it. All those applications use Windows or Linux based systems. They are easier to manage, swap components on, program, write for, etc etc etc. I can work on and build my own PC computers and I am GREEN on that stuff. Working on Apple stuff raises my blood pressure.

In terms of manufacturing in the US, no one is going to do that. Fox Conn, who makes all of the components Apple uses, struck some kind of sweetheart deal with Wisconsin to put a factory there, but basically the state of WI is paying for them to do so, shouting "JERBS!" the whole time. I doubt it even comes to fruition. Lowering the corporate tax rate won't do anything either, except fatten the bonuses of CEOs. they tried it 40 years ago, now mgmt make 100x what the lowest paid worker does, compared to like 10x in the 70s. Now they wanna revisit that failed policy.
GOOD TIMES.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Oh happy days

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

taken from my security cam about 10 minutes ago
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Gary be like ^^^ for that new phone! Laughing

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

My iphone 6 has been dying a slow death-by-defective-battery issue. Random shut downs, instant drains, etc etc. I was holding out for a new one, was considering the X, then I saw that I could by a replacement battery kit for my 6, delivered to my door, for $25. Two day delivery, and about 45 minutes to swap the battery, and I'm good as new. Now I've got a little over a grand I can spend on my bus. Win win.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Well, how is the X?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Well, how is the X?

It’s great. Facial recognition works so fast and opening the phone is much easier than using the old fingerprint method. Screen is large but phone only slightly bigger than my 6 overall. Fast processor and no lag I can find.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

When I got a 6+ I enjoyed the larger screen and better camera. I am going to look at the newer stuff this weekend. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new equipment. Very Happy
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Aeromech, does the notch mess anything up? It just looks like it will get in the way of photos and videos. I'm trying to decide whether I want to upgrade to 8 or 10. 10 is $22 a month and 8 is $10 a month. I'll have to go to a store and try them out.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Well I’ve been using the phone for about a month now. I couldn’t be happier and do recommend it. The facial recognition unlocks the phone quickly and rarely fails. The notch isn’t bothersome to me at all. Siri works very well as does apple CarPlay.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I'm staying with my TracFone.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

To address Rockorod71's comment, yes the Apple stuff is easy and intuitive to use, that's why I love it. I am 66 years old, and struggle thru my work day using a Microsoft based machine, it is nice to go home in the evening and be able to surf, etc. without putting a lot of thought into it. No viruses, no breakdowns, my MacBook Air is 3 years old now and worth every penny. My whole family has Apple Ipads, Macbooks, and Phones.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

To add to my last comment, I also am a shareholder in Apple. Happy days.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I have the iPhone 8 Plus and love it. I don’t even own a desk top or lap top. No need to really. Plus this phone takes really good photos and then I can edit them and do whatever through a photoshop app. Then it’s off to Instagram, Snapchat, etc. I use my phone to keep track of trailer inventory at my work. I use it to keep track of every trailer that’s ever came here and what it came here for including contact info for the owner. I watch YouTube on it. Hell I even watch tv on it through the Comcast app. I can order food and anything else you could need or want in life through the amazon app. Pay with my phone at stores and Starbucks and whatnot instead of getting my wallet out. I couldn’t imagine life with out a new smart phone. You could literally die of old age on your couch with a beer in one hand and a smart phone in the other and never need to leave home.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Don't forget the bag of Cheetos
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

Not me........ what is less than zero interest?
I'm an Apple guy, but have gotten off the newer is better carousal.
Use it till it fails.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

If you're doing the AT&T $22 a month thing or whatever, what's the warranty on breaking it? I mean, I'm going to drop it and break it, it's expected

Still on my 6plus and it's getting slow and battery life, been broken a bunch of times, dont really want to spend the money on a screen and a battery
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

I'm still rocking this bad boy!

Don't be jealous!

kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

No company/data farm/systems mgmt company uses Apple products. I don't even think there is such a thing as an Apple server. Maybe there is, just never heard of it. All those applications use Windows or Linux based systems. They are easier to manage, swap components on, program, write for, etc etc etc. I can work on and build my own PC computers and I am GREEN on that stuff. Working on Apple stuff raises my blood pressure.

Apple does make servers.

I work on a Mac at work every day. Granted I am a graphic designer so my experience and needs are different than say an inside sales rep. The advantage I see is that our macs are mac pros from mid 2010 and they still out perform every single windows PC in this place. All we have had to do over the 8 years is upgrade the video card once and add ram. I'm getting ready to install SSD's in them this month just because.

My 2008 macbook still runs flawlessly and the only reason that I ever bought a new laptop was because the battery crapped out and I had money to burn at the time.

I guess my point is that although the base model macbook is more expensive that your average laptop, it is one hell of a better computer than say your entry level Dell. I know you can buy a windows PC that is ten times the computer that a macbook is too but then your price point is way up and beyond what the mac is. It's all relative to what you want out of your computer i guess.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who's getting an iPhone X besides me? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Not me........ what is less than zero interest?
I'm an Apple guy, but have gotten off the newer is better carousal.
Use it till it fails.......

Dave

Same here. I have a MacBook pro that is about 6 years old. My iMac desktop is about 4-5 years old. Both perform with today's software.

My work PC crashes several times a week. My Macs have crashed maybe once or twice a year.

The Mac is more expensive up front, but its life cycle cost is lower due to longer life and more stability.

With Windows PCs, cheap comes out expensive. I have no choice at work, but at home it's Macs for me now.

I used to tinker, and the more open architecture of the Intel/Windows PCs made that easier. But now I just want it to work, and not give me any trouble. Last time (at home) my Windows software insisted I repurchase it just because I replaced a hard disk and video card within a few month of each other, I said good bye, assholes. Never looked back.

My phone is a couple of years old, replaced because my older iphone 3 or 4 ran out of room for all my music, and I wanted a larger screen. I'll be keeping my 6S+ for several more years, barring damage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: