Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First Beetle Project- 1964
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Hi guys/gals. I've been lurking here for a short time and picked up my first project. It's a 1964 Beetle that is in pretty good shape and will be the recipient of some TLC. My efforts will be focused on getting the car back to how it was when it left the factory.

The car was built in August of 1963 as serial 5748732.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by pilottangocharlie on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Welcome! Post more pics, please!

Looks like it's sitting very high. Does it have a motor in it? Does it have an adjustable front end?
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

It does have a motor in it. I did notice it has had coil over shocks installed. I'm guessing that may be why it is sitting tall. I will also be looking for a buyer for this engine as I will be putting a 1200 back in.

I'll post more pics to keep the thread lively.

I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Nice car. Keep the pics coming.

Don't drive the car much with the engine in it's current condition. You're missing the engine seal and added to the chrome tin, you're cooking that engine with all the heat.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Engine and bay needs a bit of work!

Those chrome tins mean you have no heater, and generally rust and fit poorly. Looks like you have a header system, probably no heater boxes. Stock tins and heat exchangers will work out well if you can find them cheap in the classifieds.

That power pulley will make it run hot (slower fan), and the lack of engine bay seals will make that worse.

I'd look for a stock air cleaner as well, for many reasons.

But first, do a compression test and check oil pressure and screen to size up the motor condition, before worrying about all the accessories. If your engine is toast, a complete used running motor may be a better bargain.

Coil overs are unnecessary in a Bug and can break shock mounts. I wonder why the PO installed them?
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Car looks nice! Maybe the PO was going for the "rally" look?
Looking at the positive: no fuel filter in the engine compartment...or at least I can't see one.
Enjoy your build!
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome!

The car will be in tear down stage shortly and that engine will not be driving in this car. I'll pull the engine off the chassis once the body is lifted off.

If anyone has a lead on a 1200 case/engine around number 79XXXXXX I am looking for one to use to build the next engine for this car.

I'm trying to verify the current body to make sure it is in the right configuration. I believe the patches (pictured) that are above the front bumper mount holes were used to block off the bumper support (overrides bar?) holes. Besides that and some evidence of minor rear apron damage repair the body is in great shape. The pillars, pans, and heater channel are solid.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

I think you're right about that weird patch. Looks like they covered the overrider support hole from the backside and smeared some Bondo over the front. Too bad it looks like they pop riveted the patch piece in, so now you'll have extra holes to fill.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Beautiful car, I love it! I'd ditch the coil overs for some regular oil filled shocks. 1200cc motors do very well in these cars. I'm running a 1200 in my '64 and average 30mpg in it as a daily driver. They run cool and pump out lots of heat. Enjoy!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Go 1964, go!
Ditto, welcome, ditch the coil overs, and you're correct about the patches.

The classifieds are awesome
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/

There's a 40hp #78XXXXX, close.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1407638

Cheers!
Mike
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Dang! The seller of the 40hp case is super close to me too.

I made a little progress this evening pulling some of the interior out to get a good look at what lies beneath. The luggage tray looks pretty good.

raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:
If anyone has a lead on a 1200 case/engine around number 79XXXXXX I am looking for one to use to build the next engine for this car.

I have an 81XXXXXX number on the 40hp engine I will use on my build while rebuilding the original 36hp that came in my car.
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Interior removal continues today with a day off from simulator training at the real job.

Channels and the rest of the body appears to be all original metal. I did find one small hole where the passenger side "Y" joins the heater channel under the rear seat.

I'm sure someone knows, but is the angle that is on the forward passenger floor board supposed to lie there freely or were they originally attached somehow?

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

The floor mat, and gravity, holds the footrest down.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Looks like the previous owner may have been a roofer ...evidence left behind is that galvanized flattened roofing metal patch on the rear fender. If nothing else, we VW folks are resourceful ... LOL Nice looking bug!!
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Looks like the previous owner may have been a roofer ...evidence left behind is that galvanized flattened roofing metal patch on the rear fender. If nothing else, we VW folks are resourceful ... LOL Nice looking bug!!

Funny you mention that because I found a few self tapping metal roof screws holding a running board on!
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: 1964 Beetle Update Reply with quote

During a visit with family in Oklahoma I picked up a few parts that were listed nearby that I will need for the project. I found an original oil bath in decent condition. The top has a pretty big dent in it so I am on the hunt for a better top. I also picked up a few rebuildable Pierburg fuel pumps, a 6V generator/fan, and an original shroud with flaps.

A local VW guy had a rebuild kit so I built the assembly jig and worked on putting one of the pumps back together after a thorough cleaning. The kit didn't come with a new screen so I ordered a screen/gasket set from Doug, 56 Beetle. The pump won't look as nice as the more expensive rebuilds that are available, but it should do the trick. I am contemplating getting the cover and screws re-plated to look a little nicer, but the not-so-perfect look has some appeal to me.

The 1300 came out of the car today as a local buyer is coming to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

I bet the removable apron sure makes engine removal pretty easy. The car looks pretty solid except where you found the hole. Looks like tar? around it? I'd scrape it off to see how it looks underneath.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Quote:
A local VW guy had a rebuild kit so I built the assembly jig and worked on putting one of the pumps back together after a thorough cleaning.

Be sure to check your pump pressure. Most rebuild kits available today are notorious for producing too much pressure because of the main spring. Best to use an original spring.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

I'm thinking pilottangocharlie HAS to be a bachelor ....no wife would put up with abusing decent towels like those in the pics !! lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: