Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First Beetle Project- 1964
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
I'm thinking pilottangocharlie HAS to be a bachelor ....no wife would put up with abusing decent towels like those in the pics !! lol

That is an actually a very old towel that somehow hasn’t been used on oil covered hands. It does have some holes though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I bet the removable apron sure makes engine removal pretty easy. The car looks pretty solid except where you found the hole. Looks like tar? around it? I'd scrape it off to see how it looks underneath.

It made engine removal very easy. It was the first one I had ever removed and took maybe 10 minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:
If anyone has a lead on a 1200 case/engine around number 79XXXXXX

I have a 99% complete 1200cc motor (7311072) built in Nov. '62. This is a fresh-air motor as introduced by VW for the '63 model year. The motor ran pretty well when removed from the car but could use a rebuild (excess axial play at the crank pulley) and a good cleaning. PM me if you're interested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to following your progress. Please don't let it stagnate in the garage as life moves on!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Soon after buying my Beetle I noticed the front shocks were mounted upside down. Anyone have any clues why someone would do this?

I shipped a big cap distributor I purchased through the classifieds out to Glenn to have a complete restoration done. I’m looking forward to seeing it get a new life in this car.

I’ve read good and bad about the AA P/C sets here, but didn’t really find any other options for the 40 horse 1200. I took advantage of a 20% Black Friday discount AA advertised on their site and ordered those. Once those arrive and I find a 6V flywheel and pressure plate I can get the case and parts sent out to a local shop I found that has done much work with VW engines. They will get the case machined to rebuild and everything balanced. Hopefully this will help in building a smooth and reliable running engine.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Start looking for end play shims now. Just gather whatever you can find. They are not being reproduced. NOS, using old ones that measure out, or creating your own are the only options. I got hung up on a 40 horse build for weeks looking for shims.

I'll be watching your progress as I just recently picked up a '64 sunroof car myself.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:
Soon after buying my Beetle I noticed the front shocks were mounted upside down. Anyone have any clues why someone would do this?

To collect water samples?...lol
The installer did not care and had a 50/50 chance to get it right. Failed! At least that's an easy fix.
You are doing great progress.
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

raycer60 wrote:
pilottangocharlie wrote:

To collect water samples?...lol
The installer did not care and had a 50/50 chance to get it right. Failed! At least that's an easy fix.
You are doing great progress.

They will eventually get swapped for new oil filled shocks so their current condition doesn't concern me too much. I can only imagine the effects of water being held in that cover have had over time.

The progress will slow a little as I get back to work after being on somewhat of a training break. The nice thing about finding parts online is I will still be able to get those coming and do the work on the days that I am at home.
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

For anyone following along here with some experience with this, what are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the original style German pressure plate as opposed to the modern diaphragm type? I'm attempting to keep as much of the car as it was originally designed/built. Is this an obvious area where it only makes sense to install the newer style pressure plate?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:

Is it an Aussie car?
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
pilottangocharlie wrote:

Is it an Aussie car?

I have no reason to believe it is.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:
...what are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the original style German pressure plate as opposed to the modern diaphragm type?

The diaphragm version will have a little quicker clutch take-up and require a bit less pedal pressure than the original coil-spring type.

BTW...the Aussie thing was only a joke Cool
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:

Must have been a race car. There's less unsprung weight when they are mounted that way. Bilstein shocks are actually valved to run that way, but they have a rubber dust boot instead of the metal cover for the shaft.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Not many big items left to get the car completely stripped down.

I pulled the front brake lines out and removed the master cylinder along with the pedal assembly. I should be able to get the rear lines out this weekend as well.

The original fuel line wasn’t being used when I purchased the car, but I’d like to use it once the car is back together. I’m not sure if it was leaking or damaged somewhere in the tunnel, but that will be tackled once the body is off.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

There were a couple ads in the classified section here that I was watching as they were things I needed. I gave them a call and as it turned out he (R&D Engineering) was located at a little airport about seventy miles northeast of where I live. While browsing their website I discovered they also did general parts blasting/refinish. I loaded up some parts in the Cessna I needed to have done and was at his shop in twenty minutes or so. It was definitely an aircooled kind of day.

Doug at R&D Engineering showed me around their shop and I picked up a nice set of heater boxes and a refinished crank pulley for the 40 horse.

Doug texted this morning with a shot of the progress he made on the parts I dropped off yesterday.

Late last night the owner of a local VW body shop stopped by the house and we looked over the car and talked a little about what I wanted to have done. Looks like the body should be off and bare before the end of the year!!
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Today we towed “Louise” to the body shop. We pulled the doors off and got the body onto the dolly.

On the way we stopped by the blasting/powder coat shop and laid some plans for having the chassis cleaned up as well as powder coating the wheels. The best plan of action for the wheels was to blast them all bare then to powdercoat the entire wheel the light blue (L289) and then paint the inner wheel black.

For those that have painted their wheels, how is the paint holding up? My main concern is getting the light blue color correct.
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Car is bare and pan and body work is soon to begin.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

An update on where the project is at. The chassis was brought back to the garage to begin assembly with new/restored parts.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Nice 64. More people should buy them.

You have an airstrip in your back yard? I've seen a few communities with them.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Nice 64. More people should buy them.

You have an airstrip in your back yard? I've seen a few communities with them.

I wish I had the runway in the back yard. Maybe in a decade or so that will be true, but for now I drive the Rabbit down to the hangar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: