Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fire extinguisher recall - Kidde
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Fire extinguisher recall - Kidde Reply with quote

One of the more important accesories. Major recall on fire extinguishers. I contacted Kidde and they are sending 2 replacements. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fi...charge-and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that link. I now have to go compare some of my items to the list.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Wow!

I see that they go back to 1973, does anyone expect a 44 year old unit to actually work?

In my work I've dozens of units, inspected and tagged every year. Their allowed life is actually quite short. 6 / 12 years

After sitting for a period of time an ABC unit settles and solidifies becoming absolutely useless. They should be turned upside down and shaken to maintain their viability.

Yes, the handle may break but it should have been replaced decades ago!

The ABC in my Van gets recertified every year.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

This was posted on the Bay Forum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Thanks. Just checked the extinguisher that came with my van and it is part of the recall. And for the record, it looks nothing like that picture posted above.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
After sitting for a period of time an ABC unit settles and solidifies becoming absolutely useless. They should be turned upside down and shaken to maintain their viability.

Along those lines, I've been told that you shouldn't store extinguishers vertically in automobiles because the vibrations from driving increase compaction of the extinguishing agent on ABC units.

Instead, they should be stored horizontally and occasionally repositioned (turned) so no part of the unit sits at the 6 o'clock position for too long.

Makes sense to me.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Gads! I've got 9 to check at my place, including the two in the Westy. I also better have the kids check the ones I got for them to take to their mothers' house -- I gave them each one to take and place in their bed room at her house.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

jeffsab wrote:
Thanks. Just checked the extinguisher that came with my van and it is part of the recall. And for the record, it looks nothing like that picture posted above.

Thanks. Good to know.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Sounds like it's only extinguishers with plastic handles, right?

If that's the case I'm in the clear for all the ones I'm responsible for - although a drive to the fire suppression supply-house would have been a welcome escape from the office today.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Wow - great move by Kidde. That must cost them a heap!

I checked my 6 extinguishers, and wouldn't you know it - 5 different brands, none of them Kidde.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
Wow - great move by Kidde. That must cost them a heap!

I checked my 6 extinguishers, and wouldn't you know it - 5 different brands, none of them Kidde.

It is multiple brands, open the web link and see the list.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Well that is a bunch of extinguishers around our place.

djkeev wrote:
After sitting for a period of time an ABC unit settles and solidifies becoming absolutely useless...

I carry an (old) Halon unit in the van - possibly dates to when it was new (33 years) but so far as I know that stuff does not age out so long as the gauge shows good pressure.

No more Halon sold these days I think, but for my other cars this Halotron unit is what I carry:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halotron-2-5lb-Fire-Extin...Sw3xJVegym
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Just a suggestion, but I will not carry a dry chem extinguisher in any vehicle the powder is extremely corrosive they should be inspected and new powder every year. I have a blazecut in my engine compartment and carry a halguard extinguisher behind my seat. Very clean agent puts out a lot of fire and you do not have to worry about the powder turning in to a solid when you go to use it. They are more expensive then a dry chem but I feel my westy is worth it.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

thanks a lot for the post.... I have 2 dozens to check...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Gads! I've got 9 to check at my place, including the two in the Westy. I also better have the kids check the ones I got for them to take to their mothers' house -- I gave them each one to take and place in their bed room at her house.

You’ve just become something of a safety hero to me. Well done on the precautions.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Dang, our white Kidde extinguisher in the van is part of the recall, it's funny that it has so many model numbers on it, but the first one I looked up, "FA10G" plus our date code came up as part of the recall so they're sending out a new one in 15 to 20 days.

What a mess!
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Called Kidde direct / should have new ones in 15 days? or so
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the heads up. All told including the van and the house we have about 7 units covered by the recall! FYI I had to call the number, and was helped promptly, the website seems to be overwhelmed and inop.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Considering this recall covers extinguishers manufactured from 1973 to 2017 -- the scope and cost of the undertaking is truly staggering.

So often product failures result in class action settlements that only enrich a few lawyers and offer little relief or remedy to the consumer.

I do not know the history of how Kidde got to this position but everything I see suggests a reputable, responsible company doing right by their customers.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire estinguisher recall Reply with quote

Division of United Technologies.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: