Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine starting and condensation in the case.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

Its kind of a weird, unorthodox question, but my car is in a garage where its pretty warm and it's currently about 70 degrees out. The gas meters are located in my garage and they've been changing them out sporadically. I had to start my car before work for maybe 5 seconds to inch it up. My assumption is that this quick 5 second start did not cause any condensation given the temperatures and I'm concerned that I didn't get it up to operating temperature potentially causing water in the case and or heater box muffler are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

Don't sweat it.

The bigger question is why didn't you just push it if you only had to move it a few inches?
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

No room, it's real tight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

You need to warm the motor oil all the way up or you will get the white sludge.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

So a literal 6/second start is enough to do this? I didn't realize it would do that in this short of time. Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

One of those magnetic block heaters stuck to the sump for a day or two will dry out the oil without all the needless running and plug fowling.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
So a literal 6/second start is enough to do this? I didn't realize it would do that in this short of time. Thanks.

Have someone start it while you have your hand on the manifold per-heat tube and hold it there 6 sec.s and you will see how fast it heats up. It's e`nuff to warm the top end up and when it cools = white goo.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

I mean just doing it once won't cause your engine to be filled with mayo but if you do it a lot without really warming the engine up, especially in cold outside temperatures, you'll eventually get there.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine starting and condensation in the case. Reply with quote

water in the motor is not so much only a function of the air's humidity nor temperature, it is becuase gasoline is a hydrocarbon fuel, the hydrocarbon name reflects that fact the the gasoline is composed mainly of hydrogen and carbon atoms. when the gasoline is burnt, the gasoline is broken down and combined with oxygen from the air, that is what ahppens when things are burnt.

combine carbon with oxygen when burning completely and you get carbon dioxide (CO2) and carbon monoxide (CO) Burn hydrogen and you get mainly dihydrogen oxide (H2O, ie water) so burning gasoline results in amoung other things water being produced. this happens even in zero humidity.

this is not a problem if the motor fully warms up, as the hot crank case, and muffler will cause the water to evaporate rapidly and it will be removed, out the tail pipes or out from the crank case via the crank case ventalation system. but short time operation of the motor wont be enough for the the motor and muffler to get very hot, and in that case the water produced will condense on the cold internal surfaces, in the muffler, cylinders ect... and be left there to cause rust. that is why it is not good to run the car only for short times, better to allow it to come up to operating temperature before shutting it down. another good reason to have a propperly working thermostat to assure rapid engine warm up.

C + O2 = CO2 and 2 (H2) + O2 = 2 (H2O) are the equations for the burning of carbon and hydrogen in oxygen.

Keep Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: