Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shortening steering column
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I have read a bit here and did not come up with much of a solution.

Is there a practical way of shortening the steering column? I have not taken off my tub as yet, but it seems as though there are two collapsible sections on mine.

Looking at my column bearing section, it could be easily remounted lower (shorter) if i had a shorter steering column, has anyone every tried cutting and welding the column? I will have mine realigned dead straight before welding/joining.

I would like to shorten the steering maybe by 2 inches or so which will lower it too.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bluggy on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

One of the POs on mine just cut and welded it. Think they may have been drunk when they did it as it’s not particularly straight.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
One of the POs on mine just cut and welded it. Think they may have been drunk when they did it as it’s not particularly straight.

Man there are butchers doing botch jobs everywhere, the worst I have seen is when kids with no mechanical or electrical knowledge buys a car to "fix up" and sell Shocked

You might want to cut and re-weld or is it not that bad that it affects the rubber coupling?

I will look at mine when the tub is off, I will check to see if there is any badly rusted part to cut off. I am a bit tall and have taken out the bare fiberglass seats it had, replacing them with Sparcos. My buggy has the 2 seater short tub so no room to move the seats further back, necessitating shortening and lowering of the steering column.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Unfortunately I haven’t learned to weld yet. Plan is to start gathering welding equipment after the beginning of the year hopefully and trying my hand at it. Not sure if it affects it or not. It’ll be something I address at some point. Finding a few issues that have to be done. Bit by bit.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

If has a fair amount of wobble it might add some stress to the steering rubber coupler. As for welding, you should try out a MIG welder. Most huge retailers or service guys will give you some practice and demo, but MIG welding is faily easy.

If you do, try using solid wire with Co2 or Argo Sheild 75% Argon/25% Co2. There are lots of great tutorials online and people always willing to teach, do pay all the attention to safety and protection.

I currently have a Millermatic 211 with spool guns for aluminum. You can buy used as well from reputable sellers with warranty.

Cheers.
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

This guy does an OK job at explaining mig welding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGG-ifphkA
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Bluggy wrote:
This guy does an OK job at explaining mig welding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGG-ifphkA

Cool. I welded with gas enough in high school to pass shop but that’s about it. And that was 3 decades ago. I’ll most likely just start out with something like an Eastwood and if I need to upgrade at some point cross that bridge then. I’ll buy a lot of things used but welding equipment is out if my wheelhouse so I’d rather buy new knowing at least I’m getting something that’s complete. I’ll check the vids out.[list=][/list]
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

This guy is as good or better then Chuckie....

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Your steering shaft is what links you to control of your car, it isn't the place to practice welding.

I have shortened columns before. I cut the length I want out of the column. I then drill 2 - 1/4" holes 90* from each other about an inch apart 2" up from the cut on both pieces. I also grind a taper on the cut ends for better penetration. Then I drive in a rod that is a tight fit inside the shaft to keep it straight. I then button weld the column through the 1/4" holes as well as the joined shafts ends.

brad
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Your steering shaft is what links you to control of your car, it isn't the place to practice welding. brad

I dont think he would have done that Brad Smile

slalombuggy wrote:
I have shortened columns before. I cut the length I want out of the column. I then drill 2 - 1/4" holes 90* from each other about an inch apart 2" up from the cut on both pieces. I also grind a taper on the cut ends for better penetration. Then I drive in a rod that is a tight fit inside the shaft to keep it straight. I then button weld the column through the 1/4" holes as well as the joined shafts ends.

brad

That's a great technique Brad, ensuring its straight and button welded to hold it straight until its welded. This will also ensure that the metal does not pull out of position with the heat while welding. The inner rod/tube will help to reinforce the joint too.

I will put mine on a lathe with two steady rests, cut and weld on the lathe then machine the weld bead to a uniform finish.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like your technique though, thats great...will note and save that.

Cheers and thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Bluggy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
This guy is as good or better then Chuckie....

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale

He is good too Dale, I like his vids, he covers everything professionally.

Cheers.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

If you can use an early style (non collapsible) center shaft, there is no welding needed. Just cut it to length, grind the slot and the detent for the bolt. BUT not sure what you will run into at the bearing end at the top. BUT in general, an early style column/switch assembly looks cleaner IMHO anyway. Ponder that.

And assuming you have a collapible now, the wobble is most likely due to the collapsible section being bent.

Now - real important. A lot of times the steering column angle is different than stock. What you want to do is change the steering box angle to line up better so you are not stressing the hell out of the steering coupler. However, I would not nail that down until you determine if you are using caster shims on the beam. Same deal, adding those will change the angle.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Your steering shaft is what links you to control of your car, it isn't the place to practice

Easy big guy. No where did I say I was going to practice on my steering shaft. Mines actually the earlier type so not sure why someone welded it to begin with as Andys idea makes more sense.

Back on topic.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

I chose to weld mine like this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just tacked it in one spot, then carefully manipulated it frequently rechecking with a straight edge. When satisfied I welded it up. Yes that is two different diameters/years/models welded together.
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and pic guys, noted all.

Cheers.
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

I cut , drilled 2 holes in each end, sleeved a piece inside, put them together, welded through the holes and then around the two pieces. Pretty solid.
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
If you can use an early style (non collapsible) center shaft, there is no welding needed. Just cut it to length, grind the slot and the detent for the bolt.

I have done that several times on buggies.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bluggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shortening steering column Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and input guys. i am now doing the repairs/mods to the body after which, the roll cage and tub will be taken out.

There is a lot of work to be done to the chassis etc., just wish I was back in Canada to just order and replace everything I possibly could.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: