Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

So what do you do if you've rsised your thing and the CV's pop. You like the way it sits and would rsther not have to lower it. Is there a bolt on fix??
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Alxe Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

I have a set of these spacers on the transmission side of one of my cars. Maybe it will help with the binding on your car. I guess it just depends on how severe of an angle you are running.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac501920gr.html

Edit: Also this is a good thread on various types of CVs you might want to look into:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579678&highlight=cv+binding
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

The fix is 930 cvs, what has happened is you have to much angle in the CV joint. you can lower the car or install new CV's.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

Play Thing offers good advise and here are the numbers that support his help

Degrees of non binding articulation.
Type 1 is 12 degrees
Type 2 is 17 degrees
Type 4 is 22 degrees
930 is 25 degrees

Diameter of CV

Type 1 = 94mm
Type 4 = 100mm
Type 2 = 100mm
930 = 108mm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

Great add-on, very helpful, thanks

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

Thanks... Glad its useful.. I have jsut been helping a few folks decide how to rig their various rear suspension to gain the best combo for their desired use.

Bus/Type 2 (100mm) Thing/Type4 (100mm)
Although the Type 2 and 4 Cvs have the same diameter the type 4 gains 5 degrees of articulation due to using a larger inner CV knuckle and smaller CV balls Hence the best reason to not use type 2 CVs on a Type 4 vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

Lowered the back popping stopped. Ill live with it. Thanks for the useful info.
limon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Pop after Raising any ideas? Reply with quote

I installed an imported axle/CV combo thinking I'd stay cleaner and have some spare parts too.

The new axle/CVs were binding horribly (I've raised my Thing one "tooth" on the spring plates).

Bought a Rockford boot kit from a type 2 supplier and reinstalled my originals so now everything is fine.

Inspecting the Chinese axle; it wasn't indexed correctly when it was assembled, I don't know if reindexing will fix the binding, or if the knockoffs just can't handle the same angles as originals.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: