Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

When our 135lb dog became blind due to diabetes, (and lost 1/2 of his body weight in a month) he decided to restrict his activity to our side yard. About 20' square. He knew where everything was at. Fenced all around. He had water and he decided he didn't want to leave even for dinner. So we put his dinner out there. He was happy there.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Pullstart,

Family sing-along in the new truck?

-Jeff

You know it! My kids are actually enjoying the best of Hank Sr on repeat in the wood hauler! Been blasting for a couple years in that deck... good thing it's not a tape or the radio would surely eat it by now.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would never do this to an animal, but I still find humor in it.

And losing 75 lbs. in that amount of time, wow! Hey man, I've never become a parent, and I didn't get married until '06. Over the years, I've lived with a couple of women, and almost got married once, but mostly I've been a bachelor for much of my life...........and pets have 'ALWAYS' been in my life, so their well being is paramount. Just like you did Richard, with your dog to keep him happy, I'd do pretty much anything for mine. Hell man, they're my kids.... in a way
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Blind as a bat. Insulin shots 2x/day, cost us about $250/month. We called him our son's twin brother as they were born the same week, perhaps the same day.

He doesn't look so big here, but he was tall enough to lower his head to rest his chin on the dinner table. Close to Great Dane size. Most of his life he was 135 lbs and ripped muscular. When he got sick he lost 1/2 of his weight in less than a month. What you see here is old and skinny. Very faithful good ol' dog. He was happy in the bed of my truck, but not happy inside a car. Especially my Baja Bug. Too crowded. Liked to go out in the desert, but would NEVER leave the yard on his own, and when he went out with us he was VERY happy to get home. Fences were to keep others out not to keep him in.

He had a bark that would keep away a battleship though.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Progress on the rail. I’ve been in contact with another local Samba member, Wheelie Pete, to get his recommendation on a local rebuilder for my type 1 transmission. I’d get the bus trans rebuilt instead, but I’d rather use the type 1 tranny for the rebuild. This way I can get to actually see how well the bus trans works ………… without doing anything to it, other than the diesel douche, as mentioned before. Plus, the R & P gear is on the correct side of the trans, for driving the reduction gears that came with the trans.

The bus trans and RGB’s are on ice for now, but just until I figure out how they’re going to be mounted, and what adapters I can find, make, or buy. (A “No Hop” kit, like the Johnson variety, will fetch a nice sum ……….which I’ll probably be happy to pay.) I’m gonna check tomorrow with Steve Norris of Norris Racing in Milford, to see if he can do my trans. If not, I’m gonna try another rebuilder that Wheelie Pete recommended.

I also just bought two 6 inch rims (they have NOT arrived yet) :

https://www.appletreeauto.com/SERIES-81-15X6-5-LUG-81-5619/

and two Falken Wildpeak AT3W 235/75/15 tires for the front:

https://www.amazon.com/Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-Terrai...35%2F75r15

I hope my choices for tires and wheels are ok. Any thoughts? I did do some research, but then bought everything with a few clicks of the mouse, and voila! Amazon makes it real easy for us 'IMPULSE BUYERS'!!

I also picked up two alternators, one 55 amp and one 90 amp, plus another alternator pedestal. The 1760 engine has all brand new parts on the outside ……to go with the new performance parts on the inside. I bought a new ‘BLACK’ fan shroud w/o the heat ducts for it too. The 1641 will get the 55 amp alternator, and the bastard will get the generator.

The 1760 gets the brand new center mount Weber 44 IDF, while the 1641 gets the Weber/Motorcraft/Holley 5200 progressive 2 barrel. Here is the rebuild kit I just got from CiP1, along with the rebuild kit for the stock Solex Pict 3 carb............for the bastard. Still no welding yet. Too busy practicing my air guitar techniques. It snowed about 7 inches last week, and today it’s 62 degrees outside and there’s absolutely no snow. And it’s February. Hmmm….

Here’s a look at what I’ve done with the place ……….. for the sake of retaining heat. The rail could use a little company.

dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I'm gonna need to choose some rear tires too, and could use some help choosing. I tell ya, I sure was surprised at how big the front tires were when the UPS man delivered them to my side door......... IN A BLIZZARD. (Thanks to all the UPS drivers out there!) Much bigger than the tires that were on the front originally. (Original German tires that came on the front of the rail: "Continental-254 x 60 - 1" (6.00 - 15) They were re-treads by "SEARS")

These tires were only 25 inches high, and the new ones are 29 inches. I hope it all works out, because I don't know what I'm doing, other than combining all of the different sources of info that I've read about VW tires and wheels, and then rollin' them bones. Here are the front tires again:

For the rear, I'd like to be able to use the wheels that came with the rail. They're bent up a little, but not too bad. The tires that are on the wheels right now are farm implement tires, and I wish I could leave them on there, but because of dry rot, I can't. So ........ I wrote down all the numbers and info that I could find on the tires, and here's what I've got: 29 in. high, and about 13 inches wheel width, both measurements 'eye balled' using only a tape measure. Stamped on the tires is the following: SUPER FLOAT FARM IMPLEMENT - 2762 / 11L-15 (D-1918-D-4)

......and from what I've read about choosing tires for a sand rail, I think for the rear I'd want either a couple more farm implement tires, or two ALL TERRAIN radial tires, which I'd probably prefer over the others because of ready and easy availability at any tire store, plus an all terrain radial tire will probably fit my needs better for the type of off roading the vehicle will probably end up doing. So again, I guess I'd be looking for tires that are no more than 29 inches in height, will fit onto 15 inch diam. wheels that are approx. 13 inches in width, and that's about all I know. As I said, the wheels have a few dents in 'em, but I'm sure they can be hammered out at the tire store. Back in the day, I've done my share of 'smithing', hovering over a tire machine with a BFH, hammering out rhthyms in perfect time with the song "HEY, BABY" by Derek St. Holmes & Ted Nugent. I'm sure not much has changed at the ol' tire store, except maybe the music.

Here's one more photo of my first air cooled VW, taken back around 1985. I'm posting it because it shows the red shag carpeting that covered the entire interior of the car, plus you can see the home made sun roof a lot better. That car sure was a lot of fun!
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

.........and speaking of "SMITHING", I'm reminded again of the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

George Clooney (really......the Cohen Bro's) is trying to remove his iron chains, and comes along a bunch of hobos riding a freight train. He asks them "ARE ANY OF YOU SMITHIES?" It's a classic line from a classic scene from a film made by geniuses! Hey Pullstart, you said you had the soundtrack to the film. Have you listened to the song "IN THE JAILHOUSE NOW" by the Soggy Bottom Boys? If not, just go to youtube and listen to it. It's actually sung by an actor from the film, Tim Blake Nelson. It's a great sing along tune. (of course, I always add the air fiddle and air banjo too) Great for working with wood, I'm willing to bet!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I bet ted would want you to say ted nugent with derek st .holmes Confused
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Digging the build so far.
I may as well post so I can be sub'd to the thread.

Finding all terrains that short and wide is um... going to be hard, especially at a tire store.
11L-15 translates into 280/70R15 of which Firestone does offer one tire.
Next best is 31x13.50R15 which does include some impliments and lawn/garden tires.
https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=31&ratio=...ry=catalog

Sand tires are available in a 13.50-15 which is perfect although all I've seen is the sand paddles in this size.

Of course there is always the 31x15.50R15 Terra Tire Smile

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I took a look at those Firestone 280/70/R15 tires. Not what I had in mind. The only reason I'm looking for 29 inch tires is because I thought I couldn't go any higher without creating a problem somewhere else. Something I read in more than one place. Even the Super Float farm implement tires, as big as they seem (TO ME), are only 29 inches high.

So, are you suggesting that with these rims, I'm limited in my tire size choices for All Terrains? Is it because of the 13 inch (approx.) wheel width? If that's what you're saying, I'd much rather 86 the wheels in favor of some new ones. Rims that allow me more choices for tire selection.

But if these wheels/rims are ok to use, then I can direct my spending on the rubber. Or .... should I just look at some more farm implement tires?

I almost bought a skid plate from Appletree yesterday, but the guy said it normally attaches to a Manx style bumper. Of course, I don't have a bumper at all, or a rear cage, but I think I want something back there. And I definitely want a skid plate. So .......... I have to pick a style of cage, which helps instead of hinders my skid plate construction. Anyone have any ideas for this thing? You've seen pictures of the back end, and possible cage "attach points". Again, I just don't know what I'm doing. I suppose I could have ordered the skid plate anyway, but I thought I should wait until I hear back from a few people who are actually in the know. From fabrication wise to VeeDubbing wise to safety wise, any help is welcomed. Thanks fellas! Herzlichen Dank!
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos of the rear of the vehicle, to help with figuring out how to mount a rear cage, bumper, and a skid plate. I need ideas and direction.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

In the Missouri woods, implement tires are hard to beat. Never been a fan of the short style of frame like yours. Think I would do a different frame or build from scratch before I did this again. Lots of shortback pics in the gallery and the rails sticky.

71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

The issue with the wheels...

First off, I love tires, talking about tires, etc... I just don't like paying for tires to go on my daily drivers)
I'm like the Bubba Gump of tires. ( reference to the movie Forest Gump, shrimp conversation.)

Modern day radial all terrain tires are commonly available in a few select sizes.
One size of which you have already purchased: 235/75R15.
For tires with a 29" height, in modern day sizing, you will be limited to 235/75r15, 30x9.50r15 and some 31x10.50r15 tires are actually that small in diameter.
None of those will correctly mount on 13" wide wheels.

235/75 and 30x9.50 like 7" wide or more narrow wheels.
31x10.50 usually need an 8" wide wheel, sometimes they are mounted on 10" wide wheels although that is incorrect and a stretch at that point.

So... some Bias ply tires, some farm/agriculture implement tires and some lawn/garden tires will work as you can see because you have implemt tires on them now.

For bias ply tires, I think we have become limited to Interco Super Swamper tires, a 31x13.50r15 is offered in an aggressive mud terrain.

If you decide on the RGB transaxle, you can move to a larger tire size.
Being that you're building some High performance engines, I may would go with a slightly larger tire, like say the 31x10.50 on 8" wide wheels.
Here is a thread, right in the first post you will see pics/basic instructions on a simple RGB adapter.

Was a cool project as well, served as inspiration for me when I first started out.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy

Ruby Red 1966

Last edited by 71StandardReduction on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Great info. I just ordered two new wheels because of it. (Did I mention that I'm really REALLY impulsive too?) I just ordered two 15 inch by 8 inch steel wheels from Appletree, as I'm gonna go with your suggestion of 31x10.50 on 8" wheels. We'll pick out the rubber later, but I wanted to get the rims ordered this morning so they'd show up while I'm off work in a few days. Razz

..........and the RGB adapter info. WOW. Why couldn't I find this earlier? Fantastic stuff, and I'm sure I'm speaking for many people.

Dancing Applause

Can't wait to learn how electricity works in my garage. Me? Nervous about electricity? DIY electrical panel work, anybody can do it, right? Got to be able to weld stuff, right? Ugh........ I sure opened up a can of worms.
dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

dennismcd707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

If I saw these photos before (of the RGB adapters) in the Redux Threads on RGB's, I don't recall seeing them. Or, maybe now that I can almost melt steel in a semi-controlled fashion, I'm seeing them 'DIFFERENTLY' this time around. Whichever the case, I love the photos. I copied and pasted them, and I hope that's okay. Thank you 71StandardReduction. Not sure how to properly give credit to owner of photos. So ........ I'll bury my head in the sand and write this:

I'm really itching to get out in the garage. I've got a lot of work to do. At work last night, I was reading my Jeff Hibbard book "BAJA BUGS AND BUGGIES" and my shopping list just keeps on growing. It was last April (2017) that I decided to build a high performance air cooled VW engine. It was a plan that had been in the works for 30 'plus' years. Then ..... almost exactly one week later, in my garage, sat an orange sand rail, dubbed 'CARMELA'S CONCESSION'. (a tribute to my wife, & a 'hello' to my dad) Now I had something to put the engine into.

FF to Feb. 25, 2018 - Recent acquisitions: coil, wires, plugs, alternators, fan shrouding, solid swing axle boots, exhaust system, fulcrum plates, heat riser tubes, carburetor kits, new 6 inch wheels and tires for the front, new 8 inch wheels for the back, a new 'OUTLOOK' on my RGB set up, which opens up new possible rear tire 'AND' transmission choices/combos, plus several new tools, and here's one of my favorites .......... a GoPro "Hero-5" camera.

The GoPro was 'not' impulsive. All the GoPro accessories were! Rolling Eyes
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

I'm glad I was able to help you out by bringing a different view of the situation and some insight on your project.
I shall now patiently wait for progress pictures.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy

Ruby Red 1966

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

Will you need to fabricate a no-hop bracket with this design?

BTW, I have added a plasma cutter to the list of tools that will result in more money being spent.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Detroit sandrail/pleasure craft... or "Carmela's Concession" Reply with quote

An Anti hop bar will be a necessity, but is easy to fab up.

Joescoolcustoms link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421262 Page 1 and 3

Just use thick wall round with rod ends if you don't want to use box.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: