Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission and shifting issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

You know what, I hopped into the bus with the trans still mounted. After a few minutes of fiddling with the shifter, it shifts perfectly. What gives?! So I went to investigate things. Then I found this on the inside of my bellhousing...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like my flywheel or the outside of my clutch disk has been rubbing the bellhousing. It seems like this could be causing the issue. However I have yet to find any evidence of rubbing on my flywheel or on the outside of my clutch Disk. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen?

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

How about a picture of your starter drive?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

And the bolts that secure the pressure plate to the flywheel.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
How about a picture of your starter drive?

Here you go...

Looks normal to me maybe you’ll see something I don’t.

Thanks for your help!

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper

Last edited by jdedini on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
And the bolts that secure the pressure plate to the flywheel.

Here ya go
Thanks for your help

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

Your starter is for an 091 bellhousing and your clutch looks like a 228mm so they should work together fine with no clearance or other issues.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

pull the pressure plate off then slide the disk onto the input shaft. Make sure it slides freely on the splines without binding.
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your starter is for an 091 bellhousing and your clutch looks like a 228mm so they should work together fine with no clearance or other issues.

Ya, that’s why this is driving me nuts. Could it be that the gears were installed slightly off? My thought is that when I’m out driving and everything is spinning and I go to change gears they aren’t meshing up perfectly. Then when the engine is off and I wiggle the shifter and to try to get it into gear, it fights me for about 5 min then eventually everything gets jiggled into alignment. Is that even possible?

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
pull the pressure plate off then slide the disk onto the input shaft. Make sure it slides freely on the splines without binding.

Just did, it does. Still plenty of grease on there from the previous install.

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

Is the transmission out right now?
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Is the transmission out right now?

No, it’s in the bus still

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

check for this. Not the most politically correct video but it will get the point across. You van grab it underneath and rotate it or have someone else shift it.

Link

jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check for this. Not the most politically correct video but it will get the point across.

Link

Thanks, will do tomorrow. Mine is the brand new hd one but I guess it’s possible a new part could be bad.

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

I had mine welded to avoid that ever happening. It happens all too frequently these days.

jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
check for this. Not the most politically correct video but it will get the point across. You van grab it underneath and rotate it or have someone else shift it.

Link

Just checked in the coupler. There is no play like what is shown in the video.

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

Another stupid question.
What gear oil on it? Hopefully it's not synthetic.
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
Another stupid question.

It’s not. It’s the standard gl-4 gear oil.

So while the engine and transmission were out, I pulled my shift rod just to see if there was anything weird. Everything looked great. The coupler is nice and tight. I got everything installed again, shifted fine with the engine off. I went for a drive around the block and the same thing starts happening. Won’t go into half the gears after about 100 yds. Then won’t get out of gear. I heard back from the rebuilder and he said that he personally test drives every rebuild that leaves the shop. I don’t know what else to check here. I feel like I’ve checked everything.

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

jdedini wrote:
bigbore wrote:
Another stupid question.

So while the engine and transmission were out, I pulled my shift rod just to see if there was anything weird. Everything looked great. The coupler is nice and tight. I got everything installed again, shifted fine with the engine off. I went for a drive around the block and the same thing starts happening. Won’t go into half the gears after about 100 yds. Then won’t get out of gear. I heard back from the rebuilder and he said that he personally test drives every rebuild that leaves the shop. I don’t know what else to check here. I feel like I’ve checked everything.

(1) So when it won't come out of gear, if you pull over and turn the engine off does it immediately shift Ok again or do you have to fart around with it to get it to work again?

(2) is there any pulsating in the clutch pedal when you lightly push it?

(3) if you start the bus with the clutch in first gear on flat and level does the bus start rolling even though the clutch is in? Don't do this for more than about 8 - 10 seconds then turn the engine off. It needs oil on the thrust surfaces. So it has to run without clutch pressure for a few seconds to get oil there again.
jdedini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
jdedini wrote:
bigbore wrote:
Another stupid question.

(1) So when it won't come out of gear, if you pull over and turn the engine off does it immediately shift Ok again or do you have to fart around with it to get it to work again?

(2) is there any pulsating in the clutch pedal when you lightly push it?

(3) if you start the bus with the clutch in first gear on flat and level does the bus start rolling even though the clutch is in? Don't do this for more than about 8 - 10 seconds then turn the engine off. It needs oil on the thrust surfaces. So it has to run without clutch pressure for a few seconds to get oil there again.

1. I have to fart around with it for awhile before it will return to any gear.

2. No pulsating

3. No it doesn’t

Thanks so much for your help!

79' CA FI Tin Top Camper
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission and shifting issues Reply with quote

If it were the clutch, turning the engine off would let you start shifting right away, and/or the bus would try to roll if the clutch or pilot bearing were dragging that bad. I would pull the shifter apart, check all the grub screws, and make sure the stop plate isn't in pieces which they do break. Then adjust per Bentley.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: