Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Conundrum.....new van vs old van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
criteria for being a minivan

Always thought that the term 'mini' had something to do with the size. My EV Westy was certainly as large as a Chevy or Ford van. Mostly, it was even more capable of hauling 2000 lbs of crap than some of the other 'full sized' amerkan versions.. The EV is certainly 30 or 35% larger than the original 'minivan' created by Dodge. That is where the badge 'minivan' came from... Apply it as you see fit, but SIZE does matter. At least to me.

That being said, I still look for (my old) EV Westy/s/ on the market, and still want to find one I can afford to ADD to my collection.

Also, if you are concerned with how old a Vanagon is compared to the newest T4 (2003 in NA) yes, it is significant. In a Vanagon, the best you'll do is to get the 1991 Vanagon with absolutely no rust, and replace the entire mechanical stuff. Getting anyone's version of "we restored it" is not going to be what you want: every owner has different ideas of what 'restored' means.
In a EV, get the 2003, and again, NEW engine, NEW trans, NEW brakes, NEW suspension.

I'd guess you could find a decent candidate of either version at about the same $'s as a base build. It is conceivable that you could end up at the same price for either build at the end of the process. Regrettably tho, you'd be out of a van for a LONG time while you mucked your way through it yourself. Otherwise it'll be closer to $50K than $25K you have to spend.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

In USAF pilot training we were instructed to, "Keep your head on a swivel." It is called "situational awareness".

You should be using your mirrors constantly to monitor the traffic around and behind you and use your head, neck, and eyes for lane changes. The mirrors will give you the information whether it is worthwhile to expend that energy.

My OG Vanagon mirrors are large enough to see both a bit of my car and the traffic lanes beside me, but they are not the primary method of determining if it is safe to change lanes.

I can remember when cars did not have outside rear view mirrors and drivers had good habits and were courteous.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Willful ignorance, plain and simple.

I'm glad that you recognize the symptoms, now you just need to work through the steps from denial to acceptance.

I'm not gonna bother to drag all the facts to you, but take a few moments to review the dimensions of the Eurovan compared to other minivans and you will see that the T4 is only slightly taller than most of the others but otherwise the same size.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
All Transporters are built on a truck chassis available in single and double cab configurations. Persisting in labeling them as minivans is an intentional misuse of the term.

A truck chassis? Since when? Just because VW built them as Dokas and Sinkas does not make them a truck chassis. (a fact that the American "chicken tax" failed to notice) VW lists them as "unitized space-cage frame"

Most Americans will call the T2s and T3s minivans also, but really they are microbuses (rear drive, rear engine, forward controls) and the name "minivan" didn't really start until the advent of the small front engine, front wheel drive vans of the late 80's. Yes there are some large front wheel drive, front engine vans out there, but these are built on truck chassis (or ladder frames) and most will agree they are "vans".

It's really funny how far some people will go to deny they are driving a minivan! The whole giant SUV craze came about by people who needed the carrying capacity of a minivan but hated the idea of being seen in one.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW says it looks like a minivan, drives like a minivan, does what a minivan does, but they call it a camper. They suggest that when you want a minivan, you should buy a VW Camper.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, would you call it a swan because you think it is beautiful and graceful?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

That's just marketing bumfuquery using the pop culture nomenclatures Merkins can wrap their strangled minds around.

When I visit the inlaws for Thanksgiving in a few weeks, the T4 will invariably be parked next to BIL #1's 15 passenger Ford van and BIL #2's Honda Odyssey. The T4 will be a little bigger than the latter and a little smaller than the former; a midsized van. This really ain't rocket surgery.

The Transporters are all midsized vans from the T1 through the T6. The VW Sharan is a minivan and the Crafter is a large van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Threads where the words ‘conundrum’ and ‘ merkin’ are contained should be labeled”awesome”
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Threads where the words ‘conundrum’ and ‘ merkin’ are contained should be labeled”awesome”

Haha so true!!!!! Love how this thread has become less about what may be the best route for me to take- Vanagon/Eurovan/or Sprinter- and more about the definition of "what is or isn't a minivan." Awesome.

So enough about me; let's talk about me! As I've literally been oscillating wildly between selling the Sprinter and going all in on a nice Vanagon, I've come to settle on a few things:

1. Both are pretty decent investments and will stand the test of time. Vanagon for sheer nostalgia purposes and Sprinter for longevity.

2. The Vanagon will require consistent (read: constant) maintenance and I am NOT mechanically inclined, nor do I have, as one of you called out, a "fat wallet", however as I'm looking at shelling out $325 per month for the next 4 years, if I eliminate the car payment I would have roughly $4K per year to allocate towards Vanagon maintenance. So there's that.

3. I truly feel like I would have more fun daily driving a Vanagon, and frankly, regardless of of what the purists may say about a Eurovan not being part of the Vanagon tribe, I miss waving at other VW owners on the road.

So, current (read: today) plan of attack is this: I'm going to modify my Sprinter a little bit. Will be fairly inexpensive as all work will be done on my own arm. As I have the Crew Van there is just one row of 3 seats behind the driver/passenger seats with a big open space behind, but the seat can be moved back 2-3 feet as there are runners on the floorboards. That opens up more space in the middle and I intend to install a fold up table. Idea is to give it a Weekender feel, albeit a little larger). Then in the back I will build a platform (still enough space for a Queen sized mattress) and have plenty of space underneath for surfboards, bags, etc. Thoughts are I will run with this for a year or so and see if "clicks" for me......if so, fantastic. If not, I've increased my value in the Sprinter by applying some basic upgrades and I can look for a Vanagon in earnest.

Of course, my mind may change tomorrow but this is where I sit at this moment in time. Hope everyone's week is off t o a great start!

Some pics of my old baby for your viewing pleasure....

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

seats 7 fits inside my 1 car garage it's a minivan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

OK for once and for all, to appease the purists: yes they are mini-vans. If you still insist on discussing whether or not The Vanagon or The Eurovan is a mini-van please respectfully start your own thread regarding such.

Please and thank you!

Maybe a thread about "cool mini-vans" and "uncool- minivans?" Very Happy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

As someone earlier mentioned, you really should drive a Vanagon before getting your heart set on buying one. It's really hard to imagine being happy going backwards in design and driveability after having spent any time in a more modern set of vehicles. Since you obviously hit the open road, you'll want to drive a Vanagon at freeway speeds. They are geared ridiculously low relative to the T4 or Sprinter, so the engine is screaming at 4000 rpms when you're cruising along at 70 mph. They're fine if you just want to putter around town, but are downright unpleasant on the freeway.

y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

The fit and finish on the T4 makes a T3 look like a Trabant. Sorry, it's not even close.
Lets call them both merkin-vans to ease conflict
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

My first car was a citröen mehari; so my Vanagon is pretty much a Cadillac compared to that...

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
As someone earlier mentioned, you really should drive a Vanagon before getting your heart set on buying one. It's really hard to imagine being happy going backwards in design and driveability after having spent any time in a more modern set of vehicles. Since you obviously hit the open road, you'll want to drive a Vanagon at freeway speeds. They are geared ridiculously low relative to the T4 or Sprinter, so the engine is screaming at 4000 rpms when you're cruising along at 70 mph. They're fine if you just want to putter around town, but are downright unpleasant on the freeway.

It's all relative. Moving from our '70 to the '84 is a similar leap of modernity. The 1.9WBX is crazy quiet and the freeway manners are much more confidence-inspiring.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Yep, I've owned seven Transporters with at least one of each series iteration available in NA, and without a doubt the subsequent series is superior to its predecessor. As much as I love my T4 I know it pales in comparison to the
T5 and T6.

y u rune klassik?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

I was a rep in the bicycle business for years and drove minivans, an Aerostar and various Mopars, and still have an '05 Grand Caravan. Greatest vehicle ever for that job. We bought our Westy 11 years ago and use it strictly for camping. While there is much to recommend the Vanagon without the camping interior for utility work (and I know some folks do subject Westies to drayage) I'd rather keep the Mopar for lumber hauling and dog jaunts to the river and the Westy for camping. The dog likes both.

We're now considering upsizing since we've always found the Westy a little cramped, especially for long trips when you break camp daily to move on. Too much repetitive shifting of gear in the Westy. We need something that permits us to get up and go, not first have to reverse the steps of the previous evening in order to make the vehicle a driver again.

Our best prospects are Sprinter, of course, Transit and Promaster. Time spent on Sprinter forums has me worried about the later NCV3 Sprinter and most of the original T1N Sprinters have 300,000+ miles and rust, so it is probably Transit or Promaster for us, to be built out with a modular removable interor that will enable us to camp or perform hauling chores as the schedule demands. However, if I needed another minivan (by which I mean a FWD/AWD American or Japanese production MPV) I would not hesitate to get one. Love the things.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

I readjusted all my vehicles' mirrors using the modern method after reading about it. Took awhile to get accustomed to it, but it works a treat.

Outstanding post!
I have been using my side mirrors set to see the blind spot since I had a vehicle accident in 1999 that makes it difficult, painful, to rotate my head to check the blind spot.

I added some small round convex mirrors to my side mirrors, so I can see how close I am to the curb and the lines between parking spaces.

I DO have the ability to see out my back window with the interior rear view mirror.

IF I did not have an unobstructed view out the rear window, I would NOT set my side mirrors to only show the blind spot.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Quote:
seats 7 fits inside my 1 car garage it's a minivan.

Entombed as the official Samba definition of minivan. If you want to throw tar make sure it don't stick, briar Rabbit.

On edit..I've driven a t5 in EU and they are sweet, haven't driven a T6 though.

Last edited by Abscate on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

wrong thread my bad
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

Humor me please ...when I look at an add like this, what are the things to really look out for? I kind of want to go see and drive this thing so I have a baseline of what to look for.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-volkswagon-westfalia/6375245745.html
espo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Conundrum.....new van vs old van Reply with quote

I'm not expert, but I would be wary about that van. Firstly, the motor, I don't think a 2.0 water exists, it would either be a 1.9 or a 2.1. Secondly, the rust. He says he cut out all the panels and welded them in place, which is fine, but I'd want some documentation of his work, especially since it has been hidden beneath a $1500 paint job, which doesn't give me confidence in a high quality job. Finally, the pictures, they are a little weird and usually the van is too dark to make out any sort of detail on it. Looking at it wouldn't hurt, but 17k seems like a stretch to me...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: