Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canada Transport Window Decal...What does it signify?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Canada Transport Window Decal...What does it signify? Reply with quote

Was hoping my neighbors to the north could shed some light on this Canada Transport Decal on the driver’s side vent window of my 1966 Notchback. After a quick google search I gathered it has something to do with the Canadian Department of Transportation. Perhaps it has to do with some kind of inspection? Why the the number 671?

The car was originally from the Montreal area...Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Transport Window Decal...What does it signify? Reply with quote

Hmmm..., never saw that one before. It doesn't look like a government one, I'll guess its from a shipping or moving and storage company.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwcanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Transport Window Decal...What does it signify? Reply with quote

Here's a link to an explanation of the purpose of the sticker, but to get information specific to the 671 you could try emailing Transport Canada at the bottom of the link. The sticker has changed over the years, but that is an official Transport Canada sticker. I suppose there's a chance that they could search records for why the vehicle required an inspection/approval to be used in Canada if your email (send the picture) gets read by the right person who enjoys a good scavenger hunt for info. Good luck!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/tp-tp13136-cm-faq_e-702.htm
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Transport Window Decal...What does it signify? Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy & vwcanuck!
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada Transport Window Decal...What does it signify? Reply with quote

vwcanuck wrote:
Here's a link to an explanation of the purpose of the sticker, but to get information specific to the 671 you could try emailing Transport Canada at the bottom of the link. The sticker has changed over the years, but that is an official Transport Canada sticker. I suppose there's a chance that they could search records for why the vehicle required an inspection/approval to be used in Canada if your email (send the picture) gets read by the right person who enjoys a good scavenger hunt for info. Good luck!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/tp-tp13136-cm-faq_e-702.htm

I'm skeptical.
That sticker in your link only appears on 73+ vehicles and is always applied to the left doorpost near the VIN sticker. It's also one of those that says void all over it if you peel it off, that one looks like a regular sticker from here, and why would it be put on something that could be swapped to any car easily?
I went and looked at some of my late 60's Honda cars and they have no sticker at all, they were imported privately by unsanctioned dealers and had to go through the private citizen inspection/approval process so if there was a mark of certification not found on factory imported makes of the time and only on tourist or immigrants possesions they would have it (dealer delivered VW's and Datsuns don't have a sticker that early for example). The sticker also lacks any official governmenty devices like the coat of arms most departments put on everything around that time.
I'm still going with a moving company's tracking system, unless someone can prove otherwise. You find paper tickets with the movers company name and a stamped number stapled to the backs of furniture from the time, it's what they used to keep track of a warehouse (or in this case traincar) full of customers stuff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: