Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATE - VANARU CONVERSION - IT's ALIVE!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

You could try a wooden dowel or any long rod type of material- pipe, broom handle, etc. to make a stethoscope to listen to the engine.
Place one end in contact with the engine case at various points and cylinder heads and cup the other end in your hand letting the end stick through and put this in your ear.

You should be able to hear separate parts as they move like the rocker arms, tappets, main bearings or define the location of the knocking.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
You could try a wooden dowel or any long rod type of material- pipe, broom handle, etc. to make a stethoscope to listen to the engine...

Or just use a stethoscope...

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63296.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A pretty handy $4 tool.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
You could try a wooden dowel or any long rod type of material- pipe, broom handle, etc. to make a stethoscope to listen to the engine...

Or just use a stethoscope...

https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63296.html

A pretty handy $4 tool.

Yeah, but that cost 4 bucks! Shocked

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

Its actually a good safety item though for 4 bucks. As often as i have done it myself, poking one end of a wood dowel into a spinning machine with the other end pointed at your brain is unwise. It works better also. My two centavos...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

another technique that gives a different sound and is quite directional is to use a length of heater hose and put one end up to your ear. then 'sniff' around with the open end. it doesn't have the high noise floor of a stethoscope and can pinpoint certain noises. and if you hit a pulley, won't jam the screwdriver thru your skull.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Its actually a good safety item though for 4 bucks. As often as i have done it myself, poking one end of a wood dowel into a spinning machine with the other end pointed at your brain is unwise. It works better also. My two centavos...

For 4 bucks it is a deal really, but you have to go to the store or maybe online purchase where most folks have something on hand they can use right away. Like everything else common sense in doing anything is implied!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

You can pull a brake hose of your neighbors car - its free...
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

After sitting in my driveway since November, and staring at it every day hoping to drop the engine and get to the bottom of this, the real cold-spell hit us and hasn't let up. Here in central VA, we've had single-digit lows with wind-chill in the negative numbers..... so I rented a tow dolly and took it to my favorite mechs to diagnose in their warm, heated repair shop! Will report what is found (hopefully minor)... ok I can hope.

Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

Well Sambanista fans, not so good knews from my mechanic.... the engine is kaput... so... I have my spare engine ready to drop in, and we go around this circle one more time.... rebuilt engine in, old one out, start rebuild. Luckily it does not appear any damage done - I shut it down immediately upon the loud noise. We'll see once I get it cracked open.... for now, it's refresh with rebuilt and back on the road.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

We will have you on that number 2 wire in a jiffy.

If you Look over your front end , Call the ball joints

Very Happy
johnnyjewel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

I'm late on this, but, in the last few months, I took my '86 to a mechanic with horrible clanking and knocking. I was sure the WBX was shot. Turns out it was a water pump. With the "dead" water pump in my hands, there was hardly any play, but it sure did clatter!

"Everybody matters or nobody matters." Hieronymus Bosch
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

johnnyjewel wrote:
I'm late on this, but, in the last few months, I took my '86 to a mechanic with horrible clanking and knocking. I was sure the WBX was shot. Turns out it was a water pump. With the "dead" water pump in my hands, there was hardly any play, but it sure did clatter!

My mech knows WBX engines, and has expertise specifically on them, so I trust his judgement.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

Ah, bummer. I have been in this exact loop - last year. Happily, I've been enjoying it immensely after getting it sorted out and upping my game on the rebuild. Keep us posted. Are you going to drop this engine, or the mechanic?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Ah, bummer. I have been in this exact loop - last year. Happily, I've been enjoying it immensely after getting it sorted out and upping my game on the rebuild. Keep us posted. Are you going to drop this engine, or the mechanic?

My original plan was to swap the engines myself and do the teardown of the broken engine to diagnose the issue. Weather and time were my enemies, so my plan now is to take my rebuilt to the mechanic to do the swap out - I will still do the teardown and rebuilt of the broken engine this spring/summer - assuming it is rebuildable.
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
We will have you on that number 2 wire in a jiffy.

If you Look over your front end , Call the ball joints

Very Happy

Thanks "Paddles". Prefer a #3 wire as not so close the the ramp! Taking a self wave-off! Cool
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: IT'S ALIVE! Reply with quote

IT'S ALIVE! Just got the call from my mechanic that he's got my rebuilt engine in, and it's running! He has to fix a couple of leaking head nuts, but other than that, it started right up. The rebuild was sitting 'dry' (no oil/fluids) in my outdoor shed for 2.5 years awaiting the 'call to duty', so me thinks that the soft (yellow) 'gasket' sealant that I used on the head nuts (provided in the gasket kit) probably just dried out. Hope that's all - but he's going to remove them all, reseal and re-torque. Hopefully, all fingers and toes crossed, I'll be driving by the end of the week...
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? UPDATE - IT's ALIVE! Reply with quote

Awesome! That's got to be pretty exciting. Heck, it's got me thinking of driving the van on errands later today just in your honor!!! The long distance fly-by..

Doug
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? UPDATE - IT's ALIVE! Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Awesome! That's got to be pretty exciting. Heck, it's got me thinking of driving the van on errands later today just in your honor!!! The long distance fly-by..

Doug

Yes, definitely exciting. It's success in starting put a smile on my face! It's my first 'real' rebuild I did all by myself, and although I followed the Bentley to the letter/number on every part - new (1.9L) connecting rods/bearings, rings, gaskets, lifters, etc, etc... and used the proper sealants where called out - I still had the nagging doubts, but no longer and my work is validated. Happy happy joy joy! Just hope the leaking head nuts are simple fix - I did torque them all to spec and in the proper order at the time.
For anyone who thinks they can't rebuild (assuming the block is in good knit), they CAN - I can do it, so can you! And you learn so much about your particular WBX engine and how it works...
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? UPDATE - IT's ALIVE! Reply with quote

Well, it WAS alive.... during the test run, thought the head nuts were leaking. It turns out they were not leaking and I had them torqued and sealed correctly. However upon further examination a hairline crack was discovered just above the intake port - on both heads. Mech says he's never seen that before, and never on both heads. Hmmmm.... small delay as we prep the heads from the bad engine to swap over to the good........ oh well, if it's not one thing, it's bound to be the other!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Knock? UPDATE - IT's ALIVE! Reply with quote

Weird. So the cracks were outboard of where the intakes bolt on? That is a strange place. At some point you should post up a pic of where these cracks are. Strange enough I've literally never heard of that location. Do you think there's a possibility the block was frozen in its past? I don't know why but blocks I've seen frozen (from a lifetime spent in northern climates) more often had cracks higher up vs the bottom. Maybe some physics quirk of lower pressure causing the top to freeze last and thus its expansion had nowhere to go? Dunno. (shrugs).

Bummer that's happening, man. It feels like deja vu to me. I absolutely cannot wait for the smile on your face video of you driving it again!!!!! You have such a great attitude (at least that's what comes across on the forum) in the face of adversity, you totally deserve to sport that smile - heh.

I think we veteran Samba types should put our heads together and come up with a roving "best attitude of the year" trophy and it should go to you first.

Doug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: