Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus sightings / Spotter's thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
strange on a sweet paint job like that they take the time to unbolt the license plate, but not to protect the nose on the tow. (sweet bus btw)

My guess based on the bumper stickers, it sold and the old owner probably kept their personalized plates, if I had to guess

Or it is heading to another state.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

I rarely see nice buses on the road, but I always seem to see these.

Seen on the 210 freeway heading north a couple of miles past 10 freeway...about 4:15, 10/27/17.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

I thought you weren't supposed to strap cars down like that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I thought you weren't supposed to strap cars down like that?

You are not. In a sudden stop there is very little to hold it from rolling forward putting a huge amount of outward force on the suspension. Definitely bad for the swing axel clamping rings and I could see it bending the front arms.

When strapping down wheels they should be strapped down front and back of each.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

yeah..they make proper wheel straps ..lame way to tie down a vehicle there
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Skim wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:
strange on a sweet paint job like that they take the time to unbolt the license plate, but not to protect the nose on the tow. (sweet bus btw)

My guess based on the bumper stickers, it sold and the old owner probably kept their personalized plates, if I had to guess

Or it is heading to another state.

That is my guess, too. In many states, like Idaho, the plates belong to the owner, not the car. Washington is the opposite, so the plates can stay with the car, even if they will be headed to another state.

I always keep my old plates when I sell a vehicle, just for liability's sake.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Definitely bad for the swing axel clamping rings and I could see it bending the front arms.

Wonder if the rear metal brake lines got crushed.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

15 window on a trailer in Lowes Parking lot in Denton Tx. today. This looks like the one that was for sale in Oklahoma in the bus classifieds. Had Oklahoma plates on it. Guess the new owners are here in Texas.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
rwheezy12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
15 window on a trailer in Lowes Parking lot in Denton Tx. today. This looks like the one that was for sale in Oklahoma in the bus classifieds. Had Oklahoma plates on it. Guess the new owners are here in Texas.

Its headed to Idaho, hoping to get it tomorrow!
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Went to check the surf at Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach, California this morning. This bus appears to be the mascot of a new coffee shop on the corner of Point Loma Avenue and Sunset Cliffs Blvd called "Surf Check" of all things.

The bus appears to be a '66 or '67 standard. I'm assuming the bus is related to the coffee shop a couple yards off the side doors as the coffee shop has the same color scheme on its vintage '60s trailer. I didn't shoot the trailer but you can look down on it. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sunset+Cliffs,+S...17.2514447

He has another split window bus sitting there ...... mango green and another green. It's been there a while, but toda,y I saw a for sale sign on it 37K. I don't think it even has a motor.

# 303 and #156

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

I read in The Reader that he has trouble with the city. Saw the multiple busses one day checking the surf and isn't there another trailer?
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I read in The Reader that he has trouble with the city. Saw the multiple busses one day checking the surf and isn't there another trailer?

I read that too. Someone has it out for him and keeps notifying the city, bring out the inspectors. Anyway the two tone green bus is for sale.

# 303 and #156

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
BarryL wrote:

I read that too. Someone has it out for him and keeps notifying the city, bring out the inspectors. Anyway the two tone green bus is for sale.

Keep up the intel, soldier.

Near Paula Street in La Mesa, California (not actual street the bus was on) I spotted an original paint (appearing) turkis Westy (looking) pop-top with a hurst bumper I don't recollect seeing around town, in primo shape.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Here is my recon photo of said bus for sale. This guy is dreaming at that price.
It’s a panel bus camper conversion probably a Sundial. Will stop by for a closer look later this weekend.

Edit: It has a motor.

# 303 and #156

Last edited by Fish on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Spotted on the 10 Freeway a few weeks ago:

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Here is my recon photo of said bus for sale. This guy is dreaming at that price.
It’s a panel bus camper conversion probably a Sundial. Will stop by for a closer look later this weekend.

Maybe he priced it ridiculously high so he could get the complainers off his back. "Hey man, it's for sale! What else can I do, I'm just waiting til someone buys it!" If it actually does sell for that price, well, bonus!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

Just saw this Kombi in New Hampshire Magazine the other day. Wonder if it's near the Hayward property now?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Fish wrote:

Maybe he priced it ridiculously high so he could get the complainers off his back. "Hey man, it's for sale! What else can I do, I'm just waiting til someone buys it!" If it actually does sell for that price, well, bonus!

Partied with the dude a few years back in Mission. Cool cat.
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

This bus was spotted in the Netherlands.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus sightings / Spotter's thread Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Just saw this Kombi in New Hampshire Magazine the other day. Wonder if it's near the Hayward property now?

Since the Hayward place is in Westminster Vt., home of John's Car corner, my guess is it went there.... Question

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: